• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Quick review of the (Japanese) Perfect Guide for New Leaf

CrankyCupcake

overthinks everything
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Island
Littlestar
Moonlight Halloweaster Egg
White Star Fragment
Ancient Lantern
Dusty Scroll
In a word: Gorgeous!

I ordered the book from the local Kinokuniya store. The second I laid eyes on it, I knew, it was money well spent. The guide is as thick as a phone directory. Over 650 pages of information! Not only that, as one who enjoys eye candy, I was unreasonably happy to see that every single page is printed in full colour. Every single page. There are hundreds of screenshots and illustrations.

The detailed information boggles the mind. Complete illustrated lists of faces, hairstyles, tours, public works projects, house exteriors, furniture, furnishings, clothes, accessories, footwear, flowers, gyroids, fossils, paintings, fish, bugs, remakes, writing paper, themed rooms, KK Slider album covers etc. There is a full listing of all the villagers in the game, in glorious color, with details such as a villager's personality, birthday, favourite colour, disliked theme, coffee preferences, house theme, photo quote, etc. Charts, lists and tips. Five pages of exclusive QR codes for clothes and signboards. The events section fascinates me, particularly a chart that shows you the type of Halloween mask a villager (and everyone is covered) will wear. The book is so comprehensive, I feel more than a little awed to browse it.

The game has so much content. I know I will never see everything there is to see even if I played it for the next 10 years. But this guide offers me more than a glimpse of these items and possibilities and, as an AC fan, I feel that this book completes my game experience. :D

Oh, how I wish I could get one. Can you read Japanese? I can't and I feel that's the only thing standing in the way of me getting it. I want to be able to read all of it! I wish there was an English one as amazing as that. :/

I know very little of the Japanese language; in your opinion, is it a good idea to import?

it pains me to ask how much it is, but im curious as these stuff are pretty valuable.

I would totally get it if I was able to understand it with out the need to read it. I read that a lot of the pics are self-explanatory but I wonder if that's enough! What do you think of it CrankyCupcake?

- - - Post Merge - - -

it pains me to ask how much it is, but im curious as these stuff are pretty valuable.

It's only $23 on Amazon but idk about shipping.

Oh, how I wish I could get one. Can you read Japanese? I can't and I feel that's the only thing standing in the way of me getting it. I want to be able to read all of it! I wish there was an English one as amazing as that. :/

Even back when I couldn't read Japanese, I was buying comics and books from Japan for the eye candy. :blush: But I understand what your reservation is. I can read Japanese now, after studying the language on a part-time basis for 5 years, but I still can't do it as fast as I read English. It'd be fantastic if there was an English version of this book, which I think is well-named, because it's perfect! I just love all the full-colour pictures. They are everywhere. So much eye candy! :D

Even back when I couldn't read Japanese, I was buying comics and books from Japan for the eye candy. :blush: But I understand what your reservation is. I can read Japanese now, after studying the language on a part-time basis for 5 years, but I still can't do it as fast as I read English. It'd be fantastic if there was an English version of this book, which I think is well-named, because it's perfect! I just love all the full-colour pictures. They are everywhere. So much eye candy! :D

Would it be worth getting one even if I can't read an ounce of Japanese? Do you think I could still get a lot out of the guide based on the pics and icons and be able to have a basic understanding?

I've had two Japanese guides since before the game came out (as well as the HHA one) and I'm very happy with them.

I know very little of the Japanese language; in your opinion, is it a good idea to import?

If you love the game and like eye candy, this book is worth it. If you want to import, try to visit a Kinokuniya bookstore in the city if there is one and order it through the store. As far as I know, Kinokuniya will import the book from Japan for you if it is not already in the store and they won't charge you for shipping. You just pay for the book.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Would it be worth getting one even if I can't read an ounce of Japanese? Do you think I could still get a lot out of the guide based on the pics and icons and be able to have a basic understanding?

If you want to buy the book more for the information than for the eye candy, I would advise against it if you don't read Japanese at all. Online English sites already offer essential (if sometimes inaccurate or incomplete) information you need to play AC. But the online sites don't have great pictures. For me, this book completes the game experience because I really want a print version of all the content in the game, in full colour, etc.

If you want to buy the book more for the information than for the eye candy, I would advise against it if you don't read Japanese at all. Online English sites already offer essential (if sometimes inaccurate or incomplete) information you need to play AC. But the online sites don't have great pictures. For me, this book completes the game experience because I really want a print version of all the content in the game, in full colour, etc.

That's a shame. I really wanted it...

I have the Perfect Guidebook too (actually I have the one with the detachable checklist and the sparkly cover, if it's the same one?) we LOVE it.

I can't read japanese but I think it's totally worth it. You can follow a lot of the info through the icons and things. The coffee guide is SO much easier to use than the one in the Prima guide (there are just 16 ways to make coffee, so each villager is labeled A through P). Images of everything, plus the awesome checklist booklet. I love that the furniture catalog tells you if Cyrus can re-do something so I don't have to haul every single piece of furniture I get in there to find out.

I paid $27 shipped from a us seller on amazon; I don't think it would be much cheaper from Kinokuniya to be honest, I haven't been there recently but their conversion is the same as Sanseido I think?

I use the guide because I don't want to be going downstairs and firing up the computer to look things up, and I find it pretty understandable. It's going to be rough for something like the face guide but I don't need to do that again, so no big deal. I am really glad to have it.

I have the Perfect Guidebook too (actually I have the one with the detachable checklist and the sparkly cover, if it's the same one?) we LOVE it.

I can't read japanese but I think it's totally worth it. You can follow a lot of the info through the icons and things. The coffee guide is SO much easier to use than the one in the Prima guide (there are just 16 ways to make coffee, so each villager is labeled A through P). Images of everything, plus the awesome checklist booklet. I love that the furniture catalog tells you if Cyrus can re-do something so I don't have to haul every single piece of furniture I get in there to find out.

I paid $27 shipped from a us seller on amazon; I don't think it would be much cheaper from Kinokuniya to be honest, I haven't been there recently but their conversion is the same as Sanseido I think?

I use the guide because I don't want to be going downstairs and firing up the computer to look things up, and I find it pretty understandable. It's going to be rough for something like the face guide but I don't need to do that again, so no big deal. I am really glad to have it.

Really! So you can understand a bit! I'd love to use it for some information and if I can do that it'd be amazing. So should I stil get it if I want it for info? (Sorry Cranky, just trying to get multiple opinions.)

I just ordered one with an Amazon giftcard that I had nearly forgotten about. It sounds like it will be just as fun to look through as my treasured old Legend of Mana Ultimania guide! :3

I've used Japanese guidebooks for Harvest Moon without being able to read them. I wouldn't hesitate to get it for the pictures.

This is the book I got: Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori Perfect Guidebook

The four images show you the cover image; then the cover as it looks with the paper band on it; then the book with the jacket removed; then the cover of the checklist. The color of the cover is actually neither black nor blue; it's dark with a hologram/sparkle/foil treatment. Shiny!!

I definitely find it useable, there's a lot of stuff I didn't know that I found out about in it. You'll still have to look up more complicated info online, but I really get a lot out of it.

Last edited:

As someone who imports a lot of art books, reading is only half the experience (mind you it would be so much better if I knew how to read Japanese...)but still worth it for me depending on what I'm buying. However, it is always wise to make sure to read up on a purchase you're making to make sure it would be worth YOUR money. Some imports can be pretty expensive and you may get it and realize what you got wasn't what you expected. I don't have the Japanese New Leaf guides, but from the few screenshots I've seen they're all gorgeous. I'm pretty sure one of them has a complete list of all villagers with pictures. If you're a super fan who wants to have one for the sake of having one (along with being able to stroke the pages and view beautiful pictures) you can find good deals. :3

Back