• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Quick review of the (Japanese) Perfect Guide for New Leaf

I get an Error (404) when I want to visit your linked page, Snow. :/

Fixed it! Sorry about that!

- - - Post Merge - - -

If I can, I'll try and take a few photos of the interior and upload them today, ok? yep, there's a nice villager guide with images, which was of course our favorite part; a complete catalog; fake art guide; etc. The detail is just great - for example the fish guide shows you what that fish's tank will look like in your house!

I have the Perfect Guidebook too (actually I have the one with the detachable checklist and the sparkly cover, if it's the same one?) we LOVE it.

Same one. I love it too. It's great that you find it useful even though you can't read Japanese!

Really! So you can understand a bit! I'd love to use it for some information and if I can do that it'd be amazing. So should I stil get it if I want it for info? (Sorry Cranky, just trying to get multiple opinions.)

No worries. :)

It sounds like it will be just as fun to look through as my treasured old Legend of Mana Ultimania guide! :3

You'll have fun! My old treasure is the Crisis Core Ultimania guide. :blush: (The AC:NL Perfect Guide is twice as thick!)

Question: What info is included in the villager section? What are the 2 smiley face lines? and where is the personality listed?

Question: What info is included in the villager section? What are the 2 smiley face lines? and where is the personality listed?

(Are you looking at a scan somewhere?)

Every villager is listed with the name at the top left, in bold black, followed by the birthday (next to which is the astrological sign) and then the gender and personality type are given in the green bar. His or her coffee preferences are indicated by the letter next to the Brewster icon. If the villager is new to NL, it will say "NEW!" in the pink bubble, otherwise it will indicate which game the villager first made his or her appearance in. Following that, there are two pink smileys that indicate, firstly, preferred theme (such as modern or crazy) and secondly, preferred colour. Below that, the blue smiley indicates what theme the villager dislikes (such as sporty or gorgeous). (If you send a villager something that is disliked in a letter, it will not help your relationship, nor are you likely to get a present back.) The shirt icon identifies what the villager wears. (Which you can actually see in the villager's snapshot.) After that you get a snapshot of the interior of his house, then his picture and quote.

(Are you looking at a scan somewhere?)

Every villager is listed with the name at the top left, in bold black, followed by the birthday (next to which is the astrological sign) and then the gender and personality type are given in the green bar. His or her coffee preferences are indicated by the letter next to the Brewster icon. If the villager is new to NL, it will say "NEW!" in the pink bubble, otherwise it will indicate which game the villager first made his or her appearance in. Following that, there are two pink smileys that indicate, firstly, preferred theme (such as modern or crazy) and secondly, preferred colour. Below that, the blue smiley indicates what theme the villager dislikes (such as sporty or gorgeous). (If you send a villager something that is disliked in a letter, it will not help your relationship, nor are you likely to get a present back.) The shirt icon identifies what the villager wears. (Which you can actually see in the villager's snapshot.) After that you get a snapshot of the interior of his house, then his picture and quote.

Ya I was looking at a scan :p That helps me understand it a lot better. I'm thinking of translating and making a key for myself of some basic information, such as themes and personalities. I've made up my mind! I'm getting this guide and I'm sooo excited!

I'm thinking of translating and making a key for myself of some basic information, such as themes and personalities. I've made up my mind! I'm getting this guide and I'm sooo excited!

It's awesome that you're planning on putting some time and work into making the guide more useful to you. Let us know how you like the book when you get it! :D

I'd like to join Crankycupcake and Snow in recommending this book to anyone who wants a visual guide to every item in the game.

My sister got me this book for my birthday and it's just wonderful having all the pictures. My favorite section is right after the massive visual catalogue where they show all of the series and sets in their own themed rooms and have the characters dressed up and emoting. For example, in the Christmas pic, there's one dressed as Santa and another in PJ's making a shocked face. You can tell the people who made this book were having a blast. It really gets me pumped to collect the sets and design my own rooms! Another useful section has pictures of all the exterior decorations, like the roofs and grounds and such. Things may be better now, but I was having trouble finding all the gravel possibilities online (turns out there aren't that many).

I understand very basic Japanese and can muddle through a paragraph with a dictionary by my side. For anyone learning Japanese most sections have the furigana above the kanji so it's very easy to look things up. I dusted off my ancient scanner to grab a few pages for anyone who wants to see. They are giant for those who want to try reading it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/6685/5nui.jpg (house exteriors)
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/2463/t1ec.jpg (villager personalities and compatibility)
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5973/jynz.jpg (furniture)
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/2820/kgn3.jpg (themed rooms)

Enjoy!

I think ill end up buying it, wont be able to read it but still :p
wish there was an english version, or even a spanish version, i know quite a lot of spanish :L

I have the Perfect Guidebook too (actually I have the one with the detachable checklist and the sparkly cover, if it's the same one?) we LOVE it.

I can't read japanese but I think it's totally worth it. You can follow a lot of the info through the icons and things. The coffee guide is SO much easier to use than the one in the Prima guide (there are just 16 ways to make coffee, so each villager is labeled A through P). Images of everything, plus the awesome checklist booklet. I love that the furniture catalog tells you if Cyrus can re-do something so I don't have to haul every single piece of furniture I get in there to find out.

I paid $27 shipped from a us seller on amazon; I don't think it would be much cheaper from Kinokuniya to be honest, I haven't been there recently but their conversion is the same as Sanseido I think?

I use the guide because I don't want to be going downstairs and firing up the computer to look things up, and I find it pretty understandable. It's going to be rough for something like the face guide but I don't need to do that again, so no big deal. I am really glad to have it.

Would it be possible to get an photo of the detachable checklist? I've added the book to my wish list. xD

Thanks for the scans... but the barriers are too strong!! I could Google Goggles everything I guess! Rarw, Prima is sooo behind! :'(

- - - Post Merge - - -

Would it be possible to get an photo of the detachable checklist? I've added the book to my wish list. xD

For ALL the items? Come on, support the authors & buy the book!

It's awesome that you're planning on putting some time and work into making the guide more useful to you. Let us know how you like the book when you get it! :D

I definitely will! Thanks for all your help. I'm buying from a seller in the US off of Amazon so I'll get the book in about a week or 2! I'll make sure to tell you how I like it! I appreciate you putting up with all my questions!!

I got 3 Japanese guide books before the game ever came out. I don't read any Japanese, but wanted them for the pictures mainly. I have used them to figure out GracieGrace's fashion checks and Gulliver's Q&A. Recently I've been using them for the coffee orders. I've also used them to figure out which bugs will get me more of the bug furniture. I also have the Prima guide, but I've learned more from the Japanese books than the English one.
These are the 3 guide books I have. I like each one for different reasons. So I use them all.

ACNL DarkBlue.jpgACNL LightBlue.jpgACNL White.jpg

I bought the big yellow design inspiration Japanese book! Since I took three years of Japanese and have previously lived there a few months I can read most of the stuff :) It's quite a lovely book!

Thanks for the scans... but the barriers are too strong!! I could Google Goggles everything I guess! Rarw, Prima is sooo behind! :'(

- - - Post Merge - - -

For ALL the items? Come on, support the authors & buy the book!

Obviously no...I just want to see what the inside looks like as a general idea...(can I make marks in it, is it just for my viewing pleasure, etc) >_> Sigh.

I just ordered mine! I was just wondering, Cranky, that if it's possible to make some scans of the inside to see the general format of each section, like the catalog, or the section where it shows you the customization options, that'd be really cool!

I got 3 Japanese guide books before the game ever came out. I don't read any Japanese, but wanted them for the pictures mainly. I have used them to figure out GracieGrace's fashion checks and Gulliver's Q&A. Recently I've been using them for the coffee orders. I've also used them to figure out which bugs will get me more of the bug furniture. I also have the Prima guide, but I've learned more from the Japanese books than the English one.
These are the 3 guide books I have. I like each one for different reasons. So I use them all.

View attachment 7129View attachment 7130View attachment 7131

Rendra, I almost got the one on the right instead! Would you mind explaining the differences between the books?

I just ordered mine! I was just wondering, Cranky, that if it's possible to make some scans of the inside to see the general format of each section, like the catalog, or the section where it shows you the customization options, that'd be really cool!

I don't have a scanner, unfortunately.

And it'd be really tough to scan, given how thick the book is, the better alternative is to take photos. I don't have the time right now to take the photos and process them, so sorry about that. When you do get your book and you still have questions, you could post them here, on the forum, and I'm sure you'll get help from whoever is online at the time. :)

I like studying Kanji from anime and subs that include kanji and romaji as well. It just makes things more fun! If you don't feel like going that routine, you may need to just guess.

Back