• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

shellbell's jpg inventory

shellbell

Shell from Bell
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Galaxy Cupcake
The Bell Tree Fair 2024 Patch
Master Ball
The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 Patch
Inky
Camp Bell Tree 2023 Patch
Rainbow Moon Jellyfish
Camp Bell Tree 2021 Patch
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Immortalizing these forever since Camp Bell Tree got oarfish'd.
Camp Bell Tree pulled me into digital drawing... so... looking for criticism, I guess?

Untitled-Artwork-2.jpg

Golden-Trout.jpg

Snail-2.jpg

You're very talented! I especially LOVE that golden trout!!!
Thank you! I couldn't get the reflection and texture quite the way I wanted but it'll do for now.
Ikr? I was gonna ask if @shellbell has experience painting fish and bugs.
I don't have much experience painting anything 😅 Thinking back my track record is I usually only draw once every couple years or so, so I'm not that experienced... Camp Bell Tree has ignited something

Ah, it's interesting how you say you don't have much experience with painting. After I saw your snail, I thought you had more influence of the traditional arts because of the style.

Your fish and bug pieces remind me of a mixture of traditional painting and color pencils.

Your snail was my favorite piece and I love snails, so a bit of bias there. The only critique for your trout, he is looking more on the dry side.
I don't do many still life's and realistic works. I'm more stylized but I'll try to help!
IMG_8665-e1546564106735.jpg

In this example, notice how the highlight is sharper and crisper. You have to use white sparingly to have an impact. Like on your snail, you have a high impact shine on their shell and then you used white as a texture to highlight its.. neck foot, lol.
California_Golden_Trout.jpg

Then this example, its reflective light is blue. The one above is more subtle which makes hard to see. It's got a more lilac hue. (I will say when you take a photo reference, the image is flattened unless it's some HQ photo you see in NatGeo. Whether you're a hobbyist or professional, exaggerating the image is key) So in this case, I'd use blue as a reflective light since it helps create form.

Also I don't know what program you use, but in Photoshop, blending modes are super beneficial. You'll be playing with opacity too.

If you want to get a bit cheatsy, you can add a small drop shadow to help pop your image out. It's all about the balance of light and dark values.
I hope this help a little bit. I'm not great at teaching.

he is looking more on the dry side.
You have to use white sparingly to have an impact.
Those were my thought too LOL

Ah, it's interesting how you say you don't have much experience with painting. After I saw your snail, I thought you had more influence of the traditional arts because of the style.
I've only ever sketched before, and honestly it's been a while, like, 2009 wow where did the time go. So you're right! I only know the basics of doing things technically in the traditional sense.
Also I don't know what program you use, but in Photoshop, blending modes are super beneficial. You'll be playing with opacity too.
I just picked up procreate for the camp, I'm not extremely familiar with all the tools and layer filters or whatnot. There's so much to learn!

Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely be playing around in the program and see if I eventually develop a style.
Also I loved all the graphics you made for the camp! esp. the melon themed stampbook 🍉

I guess this is turning into a dump thread. Critique and tips are welcome. Still not that used to using programs or posting what I drew

mistreil-sketch.JPG

I sketched these to try out a more anime-influenced style, I couldn’t quite capture the right feeling of @Mistreil 's OC…
So then I did this:

mistreil-done4.JPG

aside from the obvious clean up on lines. I think the sweater it self needs less hard wrinkles, a sweatshirt is usually pretty thick and plush, it doesn’t create as deep wrinkles as something thinner, like a t-shirt. This kinda looks like a tshirt. Also there’s not enough tension on the elbows, looks as if the sleeves are floating over arm.
  • Softer shading on fabric
  • Less wrinkles potentially?
  • Add thickness to the collar (forgot about that :/)
  • Add slight bulges around seams
  • tighter pulling force on forarms
Hair and features needs work, they are too flat. Need to find a balance between simple and overly realistic

Used this little guy as a place holder cause I’ve never ever drawn flowers before in my life lol

mistreil-chicken3.JPG

Some notes on why I didn’t think the first image worked

mistreil-sketch-commentary.JPG

also i was very confused by the properties of that shirt - material, reflectiveness, thickness, structure, fit. like, what is it??

Last edited:
im gonna be looking at this all day (and thanking you a third time because bless you -- youre amazing) ♥♥♥
i love your notes on the first image (especially "a child?" but all of them. that one in particular speaks to me)!!

i dont have any critiques to offer, but in regards to your clothing folds analysis: this tutorial is pretty handy, if you havent seen it yet!

im gonna be looking at this all day (and thanking you a third time because bless you -- youre amazing) ♥♥♥
i love your notes on the first image (especially "a child?" but all of them. that one in particular speaks to me)!!
XD
You say "boy" a lot but the age was ambiguous to me
i dont have any critiques to offer, but in regards to your clothing folds analysis: this tutorial is pretty handy, if you havent seen it yet!
oo thank you! I haven't see that particular tutorial but it feels good when my thoughts are kinda validated by it

did a quick portrait of Asa Butterfield to play around with blending layers and masks. Can I just say wowow! things get done way faster this way.
not bad for a $10 app. very impressed with you procreate
1631362639148.png

why Asa Butterfield?
because I came across a pic of him when I was researching cute dudes for drawing Mistreil's OC... just look at that face! isn't he adorable??

@droqen asked me to make a cover image for a game he's making.
1631463957515.png

Character is traversing a desert
FBdTaaPpp7fOMRRcdEVDHFgYnvu5V6-hRJAMCwj9NqWB2O5CWvv2LMjQObVSAsqwOVjv8z3lxWqxfOTcW5ssCdpiuOAuRd0cVRwZov1RZ-FmjK61JL0vo5lRuEzlPGB5lsWTPpEo=s0

There will be a tent (not pictured)
Wearing a brown mask, a white hooded robe or something, brown gloves/boots/shoes/wraps to protect them from the sandstorm that is constantly blowing
They are carrying this big stupid black staff for some reason? I don’t know why. It is a bit wonky, not perfectly straight.
ojI1N7HXzqrMbYNIGliCiCRueX5T7QelvLimTW3jAMr4tC7sbjoSO-ENst6Yeg4zISAFRzDGtNyzW3T89xfHBAbM6RHr8FsXr8DI129NMOQHGy1lT0kmXBNB6f1RmGtvcKeblo6d=s0

In their off hand they are carrying a small bag.
4qSfvLsy-jxqzQF2uwzunFW8D-5QnuCeTbgCpegsfF8L1VGhT560uNh2l5bGmJ-fYT7zRuFY3QX6Di5zic3sI6s5n2e3bN5s_itaI6IXOmOTjTEpbKnSzzC1Vyp17ThpNp6a4SFf=s0

Character traits - I guess just… focused? Almost professional, or religious? They have a singular task. Hopeless, but dedicated. Also they’re all covered up anyway. PREPARED.
My pixel art is roughly just based off Rey from SW7
GOAL:
One piece of art I can use for ‘cover art’ for this game.
Should convey loneliness, or being overwhelmed by the desert. Maybe triumph of trying to overcome the desert?
A long journey lies ahead.
I wanted to achieve the sense of perseverance through a desolate climate (harsh sun, visibility is low, sand bits blowing constantly)
so I chose a formless person heading towards an incoming sandstorm while you can hardly see the destination/the destination is swallowed by the storm. WHY MUST THEY GO?? idk. but go they shall
Colour palette is mild and doesn't go all over the place in hues. Warm tones, cause... it's a desert and it's probs hot eh?
Value is narrow to give more emphasis on low visibility

Overall looks so blah
...but I suppose that's what deserts are :/

Finished Asa Butterfield
I'm still surprised how quickly the process can go by utilizing blending layers, masks and other digital only tools
1631623570988.png

Here is something I did the first time and only other time I've used procreate... oddly enough it was exactly 1 year ago. It took quite a long time, which is probably why I quit trying to draw digitally immediately afterwards 😅
(she's not my grandmother)
1631623538971.png

Your art is amazing! I’d love to see some timelapses of your art 😊 I think I could learn a lot from them!

Here is something I did the first time and only other time I've used procreate... oddly enough it was exactly 1 year ago. It took quite a long time, which is probably why I quit trying to draw digitally immediately afterwards 😅
(she's not my grandmother)
View attachment 399863

i literally can’t get over all the detailing omg — this looks like an actual photograph of someone!! i can only imagine how long it took you to complete this, but it’s absolutely stunning! 💚

Your art is amazing! I’d love to see some timelapses of your art 😊 I think I could learn a lot from them!
Thanks! I'm still learning myself on how to use digital programs so maybe you could teach me something too! You're welcomed to DM me if you'd like to talk about technical drawing skills :) @shelliest_insta if you prefer instagram
i literally can’t get over all the detailing omg — this looks like an actual photograph of someone!! i can only imagine how long it took you to complete this, but it’s absolutely stunning! 💚
Thank you! I spent way too much effort on her lol ...it was all those wrinkles that was the most time consuming 😅

I'm just lurking here and subscribed to your insta for the heck of it... You are hiding some serious talent! Sorry for the bazillion like-love notifications, lol.

I was talking to @mocha. on instagram about old/past drawings and went looking for images. I Marie Kondo'd everything away a while ago so I have limited resources to pull from, I only have documented stuff from my previous 2 sketchbooks, circa 2008-2014... the last times I drew seriously for improvement.
Anyway, I stumbled upon 3 instances where I redrew stuff and thought it would be interesting to share.
IMG_0012.jpg
surrogates.jpg
surrogates.jpeg

First image is from 2009. Second is probably 2012? They are 1 sketchbook apart, using the same pencils. Different scanners.
Third image is the reference. Yeah... the image was always that bad quality.
Not much actual differences here except the shading is slightly elevated. I also didn't like the model's face so I altered her >.<

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_20151124_0002.jpg

The prompt was "gravity". Coloured using Crayola pencil crayons.
Also 1 Sketchbook apart. First is 2008, second is maybe 2013... which I also never bothered to actually do the colouring :/
I did a week (1hr a day, 5 days) of life drawing during 2012 and it's apparent my figures got better after that

IMG_3123.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG

During the holidays of 2013, the power was out all over the province so my friend challenged me to draw a thing a day till power came back. She told me to draw one of her OCs "Alexander" a horned, winged long haired cat.
My original attempt was... something... then 23 pages later (time unknown), I tried again... and not by candle light this time haha.
I particularly enjoy seeing this difference, it reminds me to study more.

BONUS:
I don't have anything from the "beginning" but I remember how I drew when I first started. I've recreated it for you all so you can laugh XD
and maybe inspire you in your art journey.
SHELLEY'S DON'T USE P1.png

It was definitely worse than this but I don't remember how LOL

Your art is amazing! I just saw the one you made for Goomy’s contest and the realistic detail there and in your pieces here are just stunning! 🤩 Keep it up! Can’t wait to see more of your art :)

Back