• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

SM64 Screenshot #1: Angry Chain Chomp

xSuperMario64x

I am a Bug, please be gentle 🪲💜
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Flower Glow Wand
Galaxy Cupcake
Planet Glow Wand
Tetris Grid
Heart Glow Wand
Hello, and welcome to my first SM64 Screenshot blog! In each blog, I will review a screenshot (take by yours truly) from my favorite video game of all time, Super Mario 64! I created this blog to present my thoughts on different aspects of the game, hopefully giving people insight on why I praise it so much!

Without further ado, let's start with our first screenshot:

The Angry Chain Chomp
View attachment 237337

I was just messing with the one and only Chain Chomp in the whole game, who resides in Bob-omb Battlefield. He likes to bounce around and chomp, and if you get in his way, he'll lunge at you with a mighty force! He's also really good at making funny faces :V

I personally think that the design of this Chain Chomp in SM64 was really bad. The most awkward part is his eyes. Perhaps it's the way they're situated, or maybe the fact that he doesn't blink (yes, they can blink; have you ever played MP9?). Also, the false lighting on his teeth is really awkward, because they're all shaded the same way and just gives a disturbing, non-realistic feel. As a matter of fact, this whole model is disturbingly non-realistic. But, then again, pretty much all the enemies in Super Mario 64 look bad (those Goombas make me cringe).

Nonetheless, he's still fun to play with. As you might know, this guy (not specifically) is my favorite enemy in the whole series. He's been my favorite for a long, long time. I still can't recall why, though, since I'm pretty sure they're based on dogs, and I'm more of a cat person. Maybe because their simplistic appearance is so adorable. Even the SM64 chain chomp is cute!

But there's something about him. Most chain chomps I meet have a very light personality, and only want to play. This one, however... he's just angry. He's mad. I suppose most of these guys don't mind being chained up, but this guy's ticked. He wants to be set free.
Perhaps he's just scared... he doesn't know if you're trustable or not. That all changes when you ground pound his stake, though. For that, he's so grateful he lets you have his power star!

Regardless, he's still one of my favorite parts of this game, and probably at least 90% of the reason why I keep returning to this level.

Yeah, this blog was just kinda all over the place. But hey, it's my first SM64 screenshot blog! It'll only get better from here!
Tune in next time, where I will probably be talking about another SM64 enemy! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 687
Back