• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (FINAL REVIEW)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
This is the last entry on the remake suggestions. In the past couple of entries, I went over the flaws of Super Mario 64 and how to fix them after all these years. Most of these suggestions include expanding the worlds (like making Tick-Tock Clock taller), adding more obstacles (like putting in gaps on the first bridge in Bob-omb Battlefield), redecorating due to graphics changes (like adding coral reefs in Jolly Roger Bay), and removing some more frustrating parts of the game (like removing the passage to Peach's castle in Dire Dire Docks). There were weird ones as well (like when I wanted the last Bowser stage's music changed). Today, I'm going to review the summary of what I suggested for each level. The major problems that needed to be fixed were the graphics, the camera, the health meter underwater, level resizing, and the many problems I went in the past 12 parts:

1. Bob-omb Battlefield - according to Part 2 of the Remake Suggestions, I had 12 suggestions on changing Bob-omb Battlefield. A lot of them were about making the path to the Bob-omb King longer. I also suggested adding more challenges, but easy enough for being the first level. Not only that, but I suggested activtivating/deactivating some parts depending on if the Bob-omb King was defeated or not.
  2. Whomp's Fortress - in the next part of the remake suggestions blog, I suggested doing the same thing I suggested for Bob-omb Battlefield, which was making the fortress bigger and taller with more obstacles to get across. As a person who prefers increased difficulty, I also suggested making the early access part taller to where it's impossible to access that part early, unless if you use the owl to help you fly up there.
  3. Jolly Roger Bay - in the same entry as my suggestions for Whomp's Fortress, I went over Jolly Roger Bay as well. Most of it were to add more elements to the level, in both decorative and gameplay.
  4. Cool Cool Mountain - in Part 4, I made 13 remake suggestions to the fourth level of the game, which is a winter mountain where you can slip to the bottom. Just like previous levels, I suggested adding more sections, making some parts easier, and doing graphical decorating. The most interesting suggestion I made was to poke at the players and how they killed the baby penguin by dropping it over the cliff. I saw a couple of memes of them doing it.
  5. Big Boo's Haunt - on the part after the Cool Cool Mountain and Bowser in the Dark World entry, I exclusively reviewed Big Boo's Haunt, which was famous for the scary chomping piano. I felt that the haunted house was too bland, in both aesthetics and gameplay. So I suggested stuff that would make the house more interesting (like adding a harder puzzle in the library or putting in a maze in the attic).
  6. Haze Maze Cave - following the part on Big Boo's Haunt, I went over the suggestions for Haze Maze Cave and Lethal Lava Land. In Haze Maze Cave, I suggested adding more to the mine to make it more interesting while expanding other parts and adding more obstacles.
  7. Lethal Lava Land - when I went over Lethal Lava Land on the same entry, I suggested adding more platforms like always, make some parts harder while other parts are easier, and redesigning the level to make it look like on a real volcano rather than some brick yard covered in fruit punch.
  8. Shifting Sand Land - on Part 7, I went over Shifting Sand Land and how it can get modified for the better. These 16 suggestions were on expanding the world, adding more props, adding obstacles and contraptions to both inside and outside the pyramid, and make it less like a wonderland.
  9. Dire Dire Docks - moving on after Shifting Sand Land, I went over a few suggestions on the worst level in terms of design and gameplay. There wasn't much, but I did want the castle passage removed and put in a sunken boat.
  10. Snowman's Land - in the next three parts, I went over the last six levels with two levels per blog entry. Part 9 was on Snowman's Land and Wet-Dry World. I made suggestions on changing the igloo, the freezing lake behind the mountain, the arena with the ice bully, and even the icy maze with Star #3.
  11. Wet-Dry World - the level seemed like a city to me, so I suggested adding more buildings, making some buildings larger and taller, and making the missions less simple than in the earlier levels.
  12. Tall Tall Mountain - Part 10 was about Tall Tall Mountain and Tiny-Huge Island. In my comments for Tall Tall Mountain, I said that it was generic in both decorations and level concept. There's nothing much to fix there, but I did suggest putting in more sections and obstacles, just like I did for Whomp's Fortress.
  13. Tiny-Huge Island - the next level was about adding improvements to both the tiny island and the huge island. I wanted to remove backtracking and add more challenges like always.
  14. Tick-Tock Clock - the last part of these three parts, Part 11, were about the last two levels with the same music as the slide sections. And Tick-Tock Clock was the level filled with obstacles like in these "secret levels" in Super Mario Sunshine. I suggested adding even more to that.
  15. Rainbow Ride - while one of the suggestions was to add more obstacles like I was doing for Tick-Tock Clock, the others were on elogating the rainbow rides and fixes to make the level easier.
  16. Other - these are on stuff like relocating the levels in Peach's Castle, changing level locks, and adding more obstacles in the three Bowser stages.

And that's it for Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions. Now you'll know how I want the game to be remade if it had another remake. The truth is Super Mario 64 has aged badly, it lost its replay value, and was overshadowed by even other N64 games and 3D Mario games. It's unfortunate for the first 3D Platformer to descend into simplicity like this, but it will always matter as the years roll by. While I suggest a remake, the original version should be retained and carried on to the future so people can see how much gaming has changed.

Next up is Donkey Kong 64 remake suggestions.

Trivia: did you know that, though SM64 was released on a system with a 64-bit processor, the game ran in 32-bit? It couldn't live up to its potential due to memory limits on the game cartridge. That's why the Jolly Roger Bay and Hazy Maze Cave songs sound more "echoey" on the OST than the game.

Super Mario 64 is and always will be my favorite game in the whole series. I wouldn't say because it has a nostalgic effect to it; since I got the game again in 2011 I hadn't played it for a LONG time.

I can almost see past the graphical issues, though I do enjoy making fun of the ridiculous graphics.

I also see past the fact that make of the levels are very simple. I guess since I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, SM64 seems just slightly challenging to me. I think the levels are okay as they are.

I absolutely LOVE the music for this game. Every song is awesome. I don't think I have every played another game where every song on the soundtrack is good.

The only things I don't like are the controls. The N64 is known for having bad controls, so I can't hold that against the game. There are also some missions that seem really hard to beat, like the red coin star in Tiny Huge Island.

Some of my favorite enemies like the Spindel, Chill Bully, and Fwoosh came from this game. My Gamefaq username is Fwoosh, because of this.

It may hold little to no value now, but it was stunning for its time, and it was a huge step up from the SNES. This game set the stage for all 3D Mario games that superceded it.

Nevertheless, Super Mario 64 is my favorite game, and nothing can top it for me. It holds a special place in my heart. And I would absolutely DIE for a Wii U remake of it!

Back