• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 11)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
There are four entries left in the series, but this is the last one on the levels. After 50 stars have been obtained, you can enter the third floor, which has a night sky background and some clock. All levels linked to this area are sky-themed (or at least have deep bottomless pits).

Tick-Tock Clock:

While I confirmed Shifting Sand Land to be my favorite, I felt that Tick-Tock Clock was the best level in the game, based on how well designed it was. It felt like a true platformer. If we compare this to even the best FLUDD-less stage in Super Mario Sunshine, Tick-Tock Clock will always win. But if I suggest expanding every level with a graphics remake, Tick-Tock Clock will have to face it too. It needs more than to be taller, wider, HD, and the fog removal.

1. Move the giant hand up a level - just like the mushrooms, I prefer more climbing to get to the hand rather than just what we have, especially since the level should be taller.
  2. Add some obstacles from Super Mario Sunshine - As long as the level gets bigger, I would like to see stuff like flip tiles, rollers, cubes rotating at a weird axis, wall kick segments, and floors that pop in and out.
  3. Move the cage with the first star up a level - as long as the hand is higher up than in the original level, I prefer the cage to be that high.
  4. Add more platforms in the middle - I'm not referring to mid-altitude, but it's more about locality to the walls. Have you noticed that there are fewer platforms towards the middle of the circle while there are more platforms near the walls? There should be more in the center.
  5. Expand the area in The Pit and the Pendulums - getting to this area should have more platforms, but getting to the star once you're there should have only a few improvements. Maybe more walkways and one extra pendulums.

Rainbow Ride:

Rainbow Ride is the last level of Super Mario 64, at least of the 15 levels. Just like Lethal Lava Land, Rainbow Ride is one of the oddball levels where the level size is measured based on the number of obstacles and how distant they are. While I don't like this level as much as Tick-Tock Clock, the theme of it is way better than Lethal Lava Land. To take place in the sky as a final level was 0% regrettable. It was a good idea all along. Even the music was matching. Not only that, but this level is harder than the other levels in this game while Bob-omb Battlefield was the easiest. The difficulty curve was followed very well. Anyhow, here are the improvements that can be made.

1. Make the first rainbow ride longer - for its time, it was long. Now, it seems short.
  2. Add more platforms to the section with stars #4 and #5 - I like how this level was composed. When you get to the floating island after the first ride, you can go straight to the red coins, left for some serious acrobatic skills like in Tick-Tock Clock, and right for more rainbow rides. The one on the left is lacking platforms. I would prefer to make the gap with the first gondola wider, add rotating triangle platforms to the island with the mission Tricky Triangles, and even a ferris wheel obstacle.
  3. Move the blue coin switch somewhere else - the worst part about the level isn't the long rainbow rides, the moving platforms, or the flamethrowers, but it has to be the 100-coin star. The fact you have to wall kick to collect all blue coins makes it irritating. Wall jumping at an akward angle makes you jump more crooked, making it easier to miss a blue coin. And they can only be out for a limited time. The story I gave out doesn't sound as serious, but if you play, it's a lot worse than what I'm saying, so it should be moved higher in the maze. You can get at least 2 or 3 blue coins, or 6 if you're good enough. The trade-off, reduce the amount of time. So you don't have to wall kick for them, but it won't be much easier.
  4. Make the rainbow ride to the house longer - the suggestion in bold text says it all. But there should be other changes. One of them is to remove the flamethrower inside the house in the sky. Another is to reduce the number of obstacles to about a few.

And that's it for the 15 levels. There's more suggestions coming, but there won't be much.

Tick tock clock is alreay so confusing, I'm not even going to review these. I did look at your suggestions. I personally think they should just leave the level the way it is...

As for rainbow ride... I like it because of all the obstacles, but the controls make the level very difficult. They definitely need to fix those controls...

1. Absolutely.

2. It wouldn't be bad to add a few more platforms. Regarding the triangle platforms, will that be on the way to the star (before the flipping platforms)? If not then they need to leave them out. Also, where would the "ferris wheel" go?

3. Well, wall jumping was very difficult in SM64. If you didn't run straight up to the wall from 15ft away, jump at the wall, and press A exactly when you hit it, you didn't wall jump. It is tricky to master (lucky I have mastered it). The mechanic is much easier on newer games like SMG2 so collecting the blue coins shouldn't be as much of an issue.

4. YES GET RID OF THAT GOD FORSAKEN FLAMETHROWER. I had to redo the star like 5 times because I kept hitting the flamethrower. They don't really need to lengthen the ride to the house, but they could lengthen in and out of the house. I'm surprised you didn't suggest to add more rooms to the house! I personally wouldn't suggest it.

I'll be looking forward to your last couple blogs regarding SM64.

Back