• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 3)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Last time, I went over Bob-omb Battlefield and what needs to be fixed. Now I'm going to cover Whomp's Fortress and Jolly Roger Bay.

Whomp's Fortress:

Whomp's Fortress, or Throwback Galaxy in SMG2, is a classic Mario level that stands to be one of the greatest classics. Unfortunately, this level suffered the same fate Bob-omb Batflefield did as hardware limitations gotten more lax. At the time, Nintendo was transitioning from the SNES era, so you wouldn't be surprised to sse this level to be small. But it should expand to be twice as big with improved graphics and more enemies. Stuff like defeating the Whomp King and hanging on from the owl can still be kept, but the others need change.

1. Redecorate the plains - the first part is the small grassy area at the bottom of the fortress. I'm okay with the level being on a floating island in the abyss, but the area needs more than just to get bigger. It needs more trees (and better trees too), more flowers, a few more piranha plants, and even a fountain.
  2. Add more obstacles in the first path - as the whole level gets dilated, that long path starting with a ramp gets changed. I'm okay with leaving that part alone, but when you step on the more even floors, this is when it should get challenging. Pushing blocks should get bigger and more numerous, and when you get to the part where platforms pop in and out, they need to do it at an equal frequency, but they do need to be a bit bigger to where Mario needs to use a long jump when to get across when they are in.
  3. Change the thwomps into MK8 thwomps - if anything, the original thwomps in SM64 aren't really thwomps. They should be updated to the thwomps we know in SMG, SMG2, NSMB U, and MK8.
  4. Make skipping sections impossible - did you know, you don't have to take the long way up to climb the fortress. You can back flip when you're on top of a ledge at the bottom of the ramp. It will take you high enough to reach it. Although that would be more handy, it clearly shows how poorly this game has aged. While Mario can jump higher as the fort gets bigger, that part needs to be even higher to where even Mario's improved triple jump can't reach. I would also say the same about that stop spinner over the gap you can cross. It's possible to simple-jump across to reach the wooden platform, so you don't have to wait until it reaches you. Make the gap and the neck of that platform longer to where even a long jump can't help you skip.
  5. Add more challenge in Shoot into the Wild Blue - first of all, the Bob-omb buddy should be at the part where the blue coins are. The cannon can stay in the same place. Originally, when you shoot out of the cannon, you come flying out, getting the star immediately. Instead, there needs to be a pole in place of the star, and Mario can jump onto some floating platforms behind to reach some star.
  6. Add more challenge in Blast Away the Wall - remember when Mario can break part of a wall in SM64? The part broken should be even bigger, and three shots should be enough to expose the star rather than just one. The other wall still gives you an extra life.
  7. Add another floor in the fortress - I'm okay with a simple walkway with just nothing until you reach that pulley contraption, but once you climb it, you're not at the roof yet. You will be behind the stairs that takes you to the roof, as you have to walk around the whole fortress at that level. There are more gaps to jump across, a long-jump gap where Mario learns long-jump, more bill blasters, and even a pushing block before Mario reaches the top.
  8. Increase the height of the tower - notice how the lighthouse interior tower in Donkey Kong 64 is similar to a smaller tower at the top of the fortress. I would like it to be just as big as the tower Donkey Kong had to climb to turn on the lighthouse. And it should have just as many steps too.
  9. Add more floating islands - yep, I would like to see more floating islands at the same floor as the new floor in the fortress.

Jolly Roger Bay:

While Jolly Roger Bay should be bigger with better graphics (mountains look like real mountains rather than paintings, goombas look like the goombas we know etc.), here are the other changes that should be made:

1. Make the pikes thinner - when you climb the pikes, notice how they get wider to where Mario can't grip on anymore. I prefer to make them thinner to where Mario can only fail to grip near the ocean.
  2. Add more shipwreck pieces - the level, most of all, is bland. It would be better if more shipwreck pieces were added, at the ocean floor, at the surface of the bay, and even in the treasure cave.
  3. Add more seaside cliffs - in addition to the expansion of the entire level, there should be more seaside cliffs on the right. The three planks at the end are fine, but I want more. I would like to see taller ones, bridges, stairs, pikes to cross, and a long jump gap cliff before we reach the three plank section, which leads to the pirate ship.
  4. Revamp the pirate ship - the pirate ship in Jolly Roger Bay should have a smaller proportion in relation to the bay, but it should be bigger because it would make climbing it on the inside more challenging. There is more to climb. On the outside, it should be more decorated (like put a mast on it) to make it look like an actual pirate ship. And remember, dead men tell no tales, including suggestions.
  5. Add a coral reef at the bottom of the sea - everywhere, including the part with the jet stream, there should be a coral reef like the Great Barrier Reef. Make the bay more interesting and less bland. You saw how Toad's Turnpike improved in Mario Kart 8, right? That's how I like to see stuff in this level.
  6. Keep the star in the Eel's cave - most of these changes are asking Nintendo to make Super Mario 64 harder to remove simplicity or encourage players to take the tougher challenges. This time, there's something I like to make easier. Instead of the star sticking to the eel, it should stay in the cave as the eel swims out. Be sure to get it before the eel gets back.
  7. Make the treasure cave more interesting - instead of having just the columns that fall on you, there should be falling rocks, dynamite, arrow traps, and a spike trap. At the end, you can find a treasure chest. Also, make the green block closer to the entry to the cave.

The next level is Cool Cool Mountain, but I can't say anymore because of the 10,000 character limit. Stay tuned for Part 4.

I'm only reviewing the fortress for this one. It is my #1 favorite level in the whole game, and the Throwback Galaxy in SMG2 made it even better! I don't care too much for Jolly Roger Bay, but boy, do I love that music...

1. Now, I'm not sure about putting a fountain in there, but they could add more trees like the ones in SMG2, and flowers, and they could retain the second Piranha Plant from SMG2, also.

2. The Bomps in SMG2 are pretty good in size compared to their N64 counterparts. I would be okay with keeping 3 of them. Also, the sliding platforms could be made a bit wider to make it more challenging, but since this is only the second level in the game, I don't think it would be necessary.

3. Obviously, if Nintendo remade this level for another SM64 remake, they're going to change the Thwomps, too. They looked like they did because of graphical limitations. Plus, like you mentioned, they're coming from the SNES.

4. I had no idea you could skip parts of the level on SM64. I know that on SMG2, you can skip by triple jumping where the arrow pointing at the wall is, wall-jumping, and doing a star spin. Though, they should make it impossible to skip parts of the level because that only takes the fun out of it. (Actually the skip in SMG2 is fun and can be quite useful, but again, you'll miss a part of this beautiful level!!)

5. The title "shoot into the wild blue" is vague enough. It actually took me a while to figure out which "wild blue" I was supposed to shoot into. The point of this is that, if you shoot yourself into the wild blue, you will find the star. It would be good if they made the star a little more hidden, so you would need to try a few times before getting it.

6. That doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually.

7. While this could nicely increase the difficulty of the level, I feel like it would take something away from it. Not that it's a bad idea, but I feel like this change is too drastic. Remember, this game is only a remake, not a revamp.

8. It would be cool if Mario could go inside the tower and climb up from the inside. There should be a smooth transition between going in and out of the tower.

9. Again, this is a bit unnecessary.

I thought that Jolly Roger Bay was okay on SM64 as it was. Peaceful, few enemies, the dangerous Unagi... though the swimming controls sucked on SM64, especially with the crappy camera angle. They need to fix that.

Okay, I really want to review Jolly Roger Bay now...

1. I think that the pikes should just be like poles. They've always been impossible for me to grip onto on the N64 version.

2. Well, shipwreck pieces imply that the boat has holes in it and, as perceived in the first couple stars, cannot float. So how would it float in later missions?

3. You don't need to make the level too elaborate, because it would be a bit overwhelming. They could add a few hard-to-reach cliffs on the left, though.

4. If the ship is wrecked, the mast could be broken off and laying on the sea floor. They could add a few more details to it to make it more realistic.

5. It would actually be really cool if Jolly Roger Bay had a coral reef! It would add a touch that the bland-colored level is currently missing.

6. I think they should keep the star on Unagi's tail. I always liked the challenge in that mission.

7. I think that traps and dymatie are unnecessary, but there could be falling rocks.

I am glad you agree to leave the enemies out of this level. Inclusion of a lot of enemies would give the level a less peaceful atmosphere. Leave that to Dire Dire Docks.

How are you enjoying the remake suggestions blog so far? Should I continue the remake suggestions for SM64? Should I make an Ocarina of Time remake suggestions blog too?

I think you should continue with the SM64 remake blog, but I don't think that OOT needs one. It already has a really good remake.

xSuperMario64x;bt12894 said:
I think you should continue with the SM64 remake blog, but I don't think that OOT needs one. It already has a really good remake.

I agree the Ocarina of Time remake is good enough, but I sitll would like to make a suggestions blog for that as well. Same with Donkey Kong 64.

The thing with Ocarina of Time is that even if it's the second hardest 3D Zelda (if you're good at motion controls at Skyward Sword) and the second longest 3D Zelda, the worlds are too small in comparison to their newer games. But I'm not going over Ocarina remake suggestions now. I still have more to go in Super Mario 64.

Apple2012;bt12896 said:
I agree the Ocarina of Time remake is good enough, but I sitll would like to make a suggestions blog for that as well. Same with Donkey Kong 64.

The thing with Ocarina of Time is that even if it's the second hardest 3D Zelda (if you're good at motion controls at Skyward Sword) and the second longest 3D Zelda, the worlds are too small in comparison to their newer games. But I'm not going over Ocarina remake suggestions now. I still have more to go in Super Mario 64.

Well if you really wNt to change the atmosphere of a game like OOT then why not make a new Zelda game? If you change it too much then the game will lose its feel, and it will feel like a new game altogether. While that could be a good thing, it's not good if you're trying to remake a past game. The goal of a remake is to keep the old stuff we know and love and give it a snazzy new look.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too bland about it...

xSuperMario64x;bt12897 said:
Well if you really wNt to change the atmosphere of a game like OOT then why not make a new Zelda game? If you change it too much then the game will lose its feel, and it will feel like a new game altogether. While that could be a good thing, it's not good if you're trying to remake a past game. The goal of a remake is to keep the old stuff we know and love and give it a snazzy new look.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too bland about it...

I see your point. Yeah, it would be better off if they didn't make another remake of Ocarina of Time and in the way how I'm suggesting it for SM64, but one change I would like to see is to remove Biggoron's sword and make it the Master Sword that gets expanded by the Biggoron. It does twice the damage and Link can still use the shield. Other than that, I'll focus on the DK64 remake suggestions instead once this series is over.

How is DK64 anyway?

Apple2012;bt12898 said:
I see your point. Yeah, it would be better off if they didn't make another remake of Ocarina of Time and in the way how I'm suggesting it for SM64, but one change I would like to see is to remove Biggoron's sword and make it the Master Sword that gets expanded by the Biggoron. It does twice the damage and Link can still use the shield. Other than that, I'll focus on the DK64 remake suggestions instead once this series is over.

How is DK64 anyway?

Well, I think that the master sword holds a high value and place in the history of Hyrule. I just did the side quest to get the Biggoron sword, but I still use the master sword because it almost feels like a privilidge to even be able to have it. I don't know, I just like the idea of having two swords to choose from.

Sorry I'm shooting down all your suggestions... ^^"

And I have actually never seen gameplay of DK64. I actually have completely disacknowledged that game; I forgot it existed. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.

Back