Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Since I got a new game for the Nintendo Switch, it’s time that I blog about what I think of the new game.

Although games with a create mode existed since the days of the NES, the very first game with a Play, Create, and Share system is Little Big Planet. There were already a couple of LBP platformers, and one racing game, before the first Super Mario Maker game came out. Although LBP had more charm to it, more ways of making levels and such, Super Mario Maker was a better game. Even on create mode, I’ve been favoring simpler gameplay as the ages rolled by.

I did play the original Super Mario Maker on the Wii U. Although I liked that version, the Switch version was even better. Here’s why I think so:

• In the Wii U version, you had to wait every day for new create tools to arrive. In the Switch Version, the create tools are available at start, or are available after you completed some jobs offered.
  • There was an actual story mode in Super Mario Maker 2. What happens is that the toads finished building the castle, and some dog erased it. So you had to complete some levels and earn enough coins to rebuild the castle.
  • There are more tools available. Yes, I remember P-switches, key-activated doors, and stuff, but they introduced clearing objectives, the on/off switch, and vehicles.
  • Super Mario Maker 2 has Super Mario 3D World as one of the games you can make levels based on.
  • More backgrounds, such as the desert theme and winter theme, are available.
While it would be better for Nintendo to move on and not make sequels or remakes of past games, I do appreciate that they are doing this to give these games attention. The Wii U was a disaster and Nintendo’s PSN Outage of 2011 and Red Ring of Death. The 3DS took two years to finally wake up. The Switch was a rampant success within the first year. What I do wish for is a 3D version of Mario Maker, where we can make levels based on those Bowser stages from Super Mario 64, those secret stages from Super Mario Sunshine, and those small world stages from Super Mario Odyssey. I also wish if there was a Zelda Dungeon Maker (both a 2D version and a 3D version), and a Pokémon World maker (which might be more complicated than a Zelda Maker and a Mario Maker). But for now, Mario Maker is good.

I would also like to say that by releasing identical games the Wii U had, the Wii U is finally becoming obsolete. Prior to the Nintendo Switch, the GameCube is technically the only console that is not obsolete as of now. The NES, their games have been ported on Virtual Console several times. It even has a mini-console with 30 pre-installed games. The SNES, same story. The Nintendo 64 is only obsolete to a certain extent. While a handful of their games have been ported to Virtual Console (as well as 3DS remakes), other games haven’t. Either because of licensing issues or because of external hardware requirements. The Wii was made obsolete by the Wii U, but the Wii U’s main library all have Switch remakes or Switch sequels. Sorry Wii U, but your days are over.

I totally agree on the Zelda dungeon maker idea. The whole "Custom Dungeon" thing for the Link's Awakening reboot was pretty anticlimactic.

I love the writing in this, too. It's like a real article. You would make a great journalist if you aren't already one. I'm impressed.

Back