• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Surprise snowstorm or sloppy weather reporting?

JCnator

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
Government of Canada has just issued a snowstorm warning tonight at 8:32 PM EDT, which is supposedly scheduled to arrive overnight and Friday. However, there are a lot of things that made it very dubious in my eyes. I'll present you with the actual report.

Warnings
8:32 PM EDT Thursday 23 April 2015
Snowfall warning in effect for:

Chandler area
New Carlisle - Port-Daniel area
A low pressure system over Central Quebec has brought a band of precipitation
to Eastern Quebec. Overnight and Friday, this precipitation will fall maily as snow over the Lower North Shore and Gaspe Peninsula. Snow will be heavy over the Baie-Trinité region of the Lower North Shore and from New-Carlisle to Percé on the Gaspe Peninsula where a storm total of 20 cm of snow is expected.

[...]

Source: http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?qc36

First off, it was released relatively later than they normally would do. They usually would post one 12+ hours ahead of time if there's an upcoming snowstorm.

Second, "up to 20cm" is such a huge jump from the previously announced 5-10cm. Although Weather Network Channel and Accuweather both set up that snowstorm warning, none of their typical weather forecast are even mentioning to that data. Perhaps they haven't updated it since around 4PM, which could disprove my point #2 but then again, that report still feels dubious.

Third, it already started to snow here, but there doesn't seem to have much snowing here as much they predicted. Heck, Québec 511 is listing that part as covered, yet I don't see any snow covering it as of 11PM EDT.

Sorry Government of Canada, but I'm having a hard time agreeing with that very dubious weather report.

Ehh, NWS Fort Worth always says there may be a tornado and later in the description say "The tornado will be near..." It's like make up your mind!

Here's an update to that Friday snowstorm: It turned out to be pretty weak for a snowstorm, which is nothing compared to what Côte Nord received few days before. All it did is to temporarily prevent me getting out of my parking just because my municipality was only concerned on shoving the snow away from the street, leaving us with big crumbles of snow. I managed to effortlessly leave in the afternoon for work and came back completely unharmed like if it was a rainy day.

So much for a snowstorm warning, hahaha!

Back