• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The mystery of Mystery Island

Bells
Every night I have made a trip to Mystery Island and more often than not I get the same island, which is now getting on my nerves, once I managed to get Bamboo Island and on one the night I really splashed out my well earned Nook Miles I visited 2 islands and the second island ended up being the Trash Island which was annoying. When I first started visiting the islands I read that the best thing to do is to close the island of all trees, flowers, weeds, rocks and other bugs the best you can. The result was the Tarantulas came out in droves and I was earning the big bucks, however I’m not sure if the powers that be at Nintendo have done something but all that has now stopped and all I keep getting is the same island with mundane fish and bugs, has anyone else started having the same problem? If I keep getting the same island my trips to Mystery island may come to an end. it would be interesting to read other opinions.
J xxxxx

originally I was going on the trips with one purpose to collect new flowers and hybrids however, after many trips I came to realise even the hybrid islands for me were always the same type and so only went for villager searching.

upon getting my 10th villager I stoped going entirely, it’s fairly unlikely you will see arare island so I limit my trips to about 2 to 3 a week instead of 3 a day.

i know the reason that less tarantulas are spawning is because Giant Water Bugs started spawning on April 1 and there's really no way to prevent them from spawning.

That happened to me too! I cleared out some basic island for tarantula hunting a couple of days and they weren't nearly spawning as much as before, it was so frustrating that I left with a half-full pocket of them and had to catch atlas moths as a substitute. It took hours just for a handful of them and it's tiring, makes me not want to do it again.

I lost patience tonight’s all I kept getting was Man Stink Bugs, a few Atlas Moths and 3 Tarantulas. To be honest there didn’t seem to be as many Giant Water Bugs. i Have looked into the islands and there seems to be a few, so why do we keep getting the same island. I have also noticed the island I keep getting you could run round the back of it so you didn’t need to constantly pole vault the river, now it mysteriously blocked off.

i know the reason that less tarantulas are spawning is because Giant Water Bugs started spawning on April 1 and there's really no way to prevent them from spawning.
If you get a bamboo island itd be perfect for Tarantula spawning since there arent rivers!

I made 2 trips last night my first attempt was the usual island with the river and side lake. I read that if you wear something given from Dodo Airlines (dal) it enhances your chances of getting a better island. I gave it a go, yes I got a different island but it was a mountain island with no river or lakes and pretty much not much more, it was the worst yet 🤬so joy turned into frustration.

Well again if you get an island without river or ponds then go big on tarantulas!
And yes I find that wearing DAL merch improved, I think it's been said too that several trips in a row increased your chances!
So maybe save up around 5 NMT and use them all at once when you feel like going on mystery tours?
Not sure about this one, but holding an item you want to be using during the trip (net if you hope for tarantulas, watering can for hybrids, shovel for money rocks...) supposedly increases your chances as well.

I personally always make sure I have lots of free time and I'm feeling in the mood because more often than not I'll end up clearing the island for some bugs or try to get my money worth in resources so it always take me forever...

Hi when I travelled wearing the dal shirt I think I was holding the fishing rod at the time, there was no bigs at all but the fish I got was a few Red Snappers, Butterfly Fish, Seahorses, Barred Knifejaw and 2 fishes that I needed a Clown Fish and a Barreleye, so it wasn’t all bad.

I think it's been said too that several trips in a row increased your chances!

I don't think you're any more likely to get a rare island on your second (or third, or fourth trip) than you are on your first trip. It's just that you've increased the numbers of times you've tried. If I have a bag of 99 red marbles and 1 blue marble, and I pull a marble out and put it back in after, I'm not any likelier to pull a blue marble out on the 2nd try because there are still 99 red marbles in the bag, so my odds are still 1/100 that I'll get the blue, but the fact that I'm trying more than once means I have more shots to pull the blue marble out. If that makes sense.

I don't think you're any more likely to get a rare island on your second (or third, or fourth trip) than you are on your first trip. It's just that you've increased the numbers of times you've tried. If I have a bag of 99 red marbles and 1 blue marble, and I pull a marble out and put it back in after, I'm not any likelier to pull a blue marble out on the 2nd try because there are still 99 red marbles in the bag, so my odds are still 1/100 that I'll get the blue, but the fact that I'm trying more than once means I have more shots to pull the blue marble out. If that makes sense.

Yes, I get that. I say I think because it's things I've read across the forum, but not verified. So it's not talking from personal experience, just that I've heard it... I don't know if it's true but if some people want to increase their chances maybe it would be worth it looking into it? It's doesn't cost anything to try so why not

Back