• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Thoughts on Rap?

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Father's Day Carnation
June Birthstone (Pearl)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Spring Sakura
White Hyacinth
Rap music. I don't think it's been discussed here. Then again it's an Animal Crossing forum so go figure. Feel free to chime in if you would like. (would be appreciated to get some different opinions. often asking things in unconventional places leads to interesting perspectives).

I'm not the biggest fan but I'm also not someone who despises rap either. I think it requires being able to take the lyrics with a grain of salt. I place it in the same bubble as country music.

Like, for country music. You'll have a guy singing about the glory of living off the grid in his tractor. Despite the singer living in Beverly Hills. It's really the same thing for rap. There's a lot of glorification over 'gang life'. Despite many of the rappers being far from being a gangster. (Eazy-E made a diss track about that).

Rap can get more interesting when it diverges from that and hits different subject matter. (Something Tupac was good at).

Last edited:
Not my thing. Unless it's from PaRappa the Rapper. 🐶

I grew fixated on the franchise back in my early teens and had some of the lyrics stuck in my head for a while. I'm not as into it now, but PaRappa is still great and the songs are fun. (Remember the one that goes, "In the rain or in the snow, got that got that funky flow"?)

As for rap in general? Eh. I don't care...if I wanted to listen to music with mature subject matter, I'd stick with old-school Metallica.

I don't listen to a ton of music besides mostly just video game music so I'm not the best person to judge real music obviously, but from some of the rap music I've heard before is alright, but again I'm not the best judge when it comes to music so yeah

I don't care for rap music at all and never really will. Only when it's incorporated in some other songs will I ever enjoy it. Mumble rap is annoying though.

i enjoy it and i find a lot of peoples' disdain for it is rooted in racism.

before people get mad the most common complaints about it like "it's always sexual" are for one not true and can also be applied to any old school rock band, so why is it always hiphop getting the flack for it 🤔🤔🤔

Not my thing. Unless it's from PaRappa the Rapper. 🐶

I grew fixated on the franchise back in my early teens and had some of the lyrics stuck in my head for a while. I'm not as into it now, but PaRappa is still great and the songs are fun. (Remember the one that goes, "In the rain or in the snow, got that got that funky flow"?)

As for rap in general? Eh. I don't care...if I wanted to listen to music with mature subject matter, I'd stick with old-school Metallica.

I'm going to defend rap just a little bit. I'm not going to oppose you though. Because nothing you said is wrong.

There's definitely a difference in mature subject matter due to what is being presented and who is writing it.

Someone like Tupac (who wrote about issues in poverty) will be able to write about different experiences than Hetfield of Metallica. Hetfield will also be able to reach important subjects that Tupac and other rappers may not.

There's value in both and I think it depends on what one wants to look for.

Just like with any other music, I'm picky about it. But I do like some songs in a rap style.
But in general I stick to listening to video game music or lyric less music. I just find lyrics in most songs (of any genre) disappointing, insanely repetitive, or shallow, or the tone whiny, so I'd rather just do without them altogether and go more simple. Just me.

So if I'm not a fan of rap, I'm racist? O_O sorry, I'm just anxious.
no, but intentionally cropping out the latter half of my reply that explains the first half might be.

6FsHWlB.png

i'm not going to pretend i know every single rap artist out there or that i listen to underground rap but i do really enjoy what i listen to. i used to listen to more rap when i was younger, my mom played it a bunch.

somewhat related but a lot of k-pop songs put rap breaks in them and a lot of them are... so bad LOL

i love rap. i think a lot of people who say they hate it have never tried to listen to any rap music at all.

one thing i've heard from people who "don't like" rap is that they'll say it "isn't music" but then you look at what they listen to and it's all metal and pokemon music so... idk what to say to that

i think people should be open to trying new things. live a little

I don't really like it. I don't really listen to a set of genres, I choose what to listen to on a song by song basis. I know there are a couple songs I like that do have rap in them and maybe one or two actual rap songs but the majority of rap just isn't for me.

I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite genres, but I do like some rap music. It just has to be about a subject matter that interests me more than the stereotypical rap topics. Like you said about country, the stereotype is songs about tractors and such, but I like a lot of country songs, and the country songs I like certainly aren't about tractors. Although, to be fair, I mostly listen to older country music, so I can't speak about the newer songs and their topics as much. There are some newer country songs I do like though.

Back on the topic of rap, the first rap song that I remember loving as a kid was Mockingbird by Eminem. Some other rap songs I've enjoyed are I'm Sorry by Joyner Lucas (although it makes me cry), Beautiful by Eminem, Anxiety by Megan thee Stallion, All Things Go by Nicki Minaj, Story by NF, and Not Like Us by Kendrick Lamar. Of course as a kid/teen, I loved songs like Candy Shop and Lollipop. Those are classics. I should probably do a rap deep dive at some point to find more songs I like, but I wouldn't really know where to start

i find it to be some of the most experimental and poetic ventures into music there has been. the genre umbrella is so massive that it can be objectively said it's neigh impossible to pinpoint any one central sound to like or dislike. most detractors have a culture phobia at best

i never regret stepping outside of my current music library any given day

I like rap! Some of my favorite rap songs:

—“Lean Like a Cholo” by Down AKA Kilo (and the “Lean Like a Chola” cover)

—“Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-a-Lot (I literally know all the words.)

—“Low” and “Right Round” by Flo Rida

—“Lip Gloss” by Lil Mama

—“Informer” by Snow

—“Where the Party At” by Jagged Edge

—“Body” by Megan Thee Stallion

—“The Real Slim Shady” by Eminem (and a few other Eminem songs)

—“Tipsy” by J-Kwon

—“Fergalicious” by Fergie (It’s rap, technically? So is “Glamorous.”)

—“Come Baby Come” by K7

—“Swimming Pools” by Kendrick Lamar

—“Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X (also like “Montero”)

—“Salt Shaker” by Ying Yang Twins and Lil Jon (one of my fave to dance to)

—“Headband” by B.o.B. and 2 Chainz

—“Laffy Taffy” by D4L

—“Work It” and “Lose Control” (more of a dance song) by Missy Elliott

—“No Scrubs” by TLC

—“Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa

—various Nicki Minaj songs (don’t like what she has done as a person, but I enjoy her music)

—I also used to listen to Kreayshawn back in the day lol.

Last edited:
I listen to all kinds of music, but Rap is my favorite genre without a doubt. I understand where people come from when they say that they don't like/listen rap music, cause I was the same way with country music. There's just such an abundance of country music, though (any genre really), and after sifting through a couple songs, I can definitively say that I enjoy some country instead of writing it off altogether like I would have in the past. The same can be applied to rap because you got all different types of it whether you listen to your old-school, trap, psychedelic, modern, chill, cloud, etc. I feel that if you're compelled enough to sift through a couple of hip-hop/rap tracks one day, you may very well surprise yourself and find some enjoyment out of it. If you read this and you want to talk rap or would like any recommendations or recommend anything to me, please feel free. : )

I've never really liked the sound of rapping much and I vastly prefer the sound of singing. A lot of rap songs I've heard over the years also had really repetitive melodies that made me lose interest in listening to them quickly.

Never was a fan of it. I heard some back in the day around my cousins and one of my younger brothers' and would always find ways to escape it.
I'm more into Smooth jazz, some Pop and R&B.

Also, mumble rap or whatever it's called is awful.

Back