• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Toxic Community

quite lucky to not have encountered the dark side of some fandoms, tho i knwo for sure, every fandom has its undesirables! make sure to stay safe, report and block if necessary!

I really love the moba SMITE, been playing it for a few years on the PS4. It was so nice for a while because there were only 2 ways for someone to be toxic: Either by spamming VGS (in game chat commands, very basic) or by privately messaging you. Other non-communication ways included throwing the game, but that's pretty much it. And the only people we had to deal with were other PS4 players. It was toxic, but it was manageable. All I had to do was mute a specific person in one match, and turn off the ability for strangers to message me.

But then they allowed for full text chat on PS4. And complete cross-platformed the game. So now not only do people get to spam "You rock!" "Cancel that!", they also get to type whatever they want, and since it's cross-platform, I now get to verse people who have the keyboard-and-mouse advantage and have been at the game way longer than any console player has. And muting is bugged, or at least was back when I was still playing.

It's gotten so toxic that I have had to take a long, long break. And now I have to come back to the game in a few weeks because my friend got a voice acting gig for a skin for one of my favorite characters in the game, and I just can't not play it

I don't have much advice other than.. people are jerks, especially in competitive games. You gotta try not to let it get to you. If it's really getting you down, take a break from the game. And report salty people!!

First of all, I hope you're okay now from that horrible experience. Second of all, I'm surprised two people defended you. That doesn't happen very often in an environment like that. At least some people are still being civil in an online game.

I haven't really experienced those kinds of things since I barely play online. Because of this, I see fewer types of people who just put others down for no apparent reason. I steer away from negativity in games because I play them to have fun, not to cyberbully and torture myself.

No matter what, it's inevitable to meet people who have the nerve to be mean towards others. Even in Animal Crossing, some people are making things harder for others. The best thing you could do is to ignore, block them, and move on with your life. Don't let those insults get to you. They don't know your life.

Wanna say in this thread, if y'all play overwatch on PC and are anxious about it, feel free to message me and play some with me! Its much better in groups than alone and I'm a chompy defender when people are being mean to anyone.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. That guy sounds like a total nightmare. Why in the world would he expect you to heal him or help him out after he'd been such a jerk? You were justified in doing what you did- a lot of guys like that seem to forget these games are TEAM games in which you need the TEAM to win, so being a cooperative & supportive TEAMMATE aka TEAMWORK is often necessary to win games. smh. Maybe one day he'll grow up! You just keep on doing you- it sounds like you were actually rocking that game- only man standing in round 1 & won round 2 w/o this guy.
My voice is also really high & clearly feminine. For the like 5 minutes I played overwatch, I simply didn't use mic unless I was partied with my friends because I didn't know this but apparently people will just throw games if you're a girl & you decide you want to play. So annoying. Because of my lack of patience for annoying, rude, & otherwise toxic people, I just straight up don't play these kinds of games. If people call me a "fake gamer" and a "casual" because I play mostly Nintendo games almost entirely because I just don't want to deal with lobbies full of jerks, then I'm totally fine with that LOL.

Tell him he's a scrub and you'll fite him IRL if he doesn't sit his lame ass down and STFU.

For real though, that's online gaming for you - I've been called some unbelievable stuff in games like this, I think everyone just gets too riled up in the competition. There's little to no moderation for that kind of stuff, if it's a party system you just have to bank on the leader kicking them from the group and go on with your sesh. I usually just deal with it by taking it on the chin, difficult for sure, but I think I'm kind of thick-skinned with that sort of stuff but at the end of the day he's some whiney dude on the other end of a microphone crying 'cause he can't get through a game without getting his ass handed to him, you know? Some people don't deal with it well and it's only themselves they have to blame for that lol - you're the better player here.

ive been really addicted to this fps and it's my first in years since ive stopped bc of college and naturally i wouldnt be so good at it but it's really fun so it kept me hooked

there were times where i was paired with really toxic people but i try my best to ignore and not respond to them, especially since we're in an unranked game mode so your points don't really count

im at a point where i have really good games where i carry to win or really bad games where i get insta headshotted or 1v5ed rip, however, today i had an ok game where im not mvp bc the other team members get the kills so there's no need for me to do anything but use my abilities and fulfill the objective

at some point, everyone died but me and there was no way i could have won that round but i tried either way, so this guy in our team turns on his mic and tells me to never play this game again and uninstall and ran down a list of insults, one other teammate asked me not to listen to him

later in the game he was the only one dead and asked me to revive him (im the only one who could do that) and i refused and told him bc of his bullying im not helping him, he went on and on insulting me and asking me to kill myself at this point two others stood up for me saying that im not even bad and asking him why he's so mean to me

we won that round and i kinda helped get a few wins too, but although others didnt feel the same way the bully did it really put me in a bad mood and i cant stop thinking about it (evidently from this post) and it's kinda affecting my mental state but i really love playing the game

has anyone had this problem too with these toxic communities? how do you deal with them? it's really not as easy to just ignore and pretend you didnt see/hear
It's why I dont play games online where I need to be on a headset. I'm not taking **** off some tiny dicked jack off just because he has mommy issues. I don't care how fun the game is. Life is too short to listen to some Trumper fume at me about a video game because he can't yell at anyone else in his sad life.

close! its valorant and yeah i love playing support characters, i never use mic ever bc i dont want people knowing im a girl so its always chat

cant imagine what he would have said knowing im a girl too might have been much worse lol

I used to use the mic when I played some of the source games like g-mod and Team Fortress 2, and people kept calling me a little boy (even though I'm a woman) that was a long time ago though.

But yeah the chat can be just as bad, TF2 in particular was really really bad for people harassing other players and saying they were playing wrong and making fun of people who weren't as good, people would always tell me I was doing a terrible job and it felt so terrible.

Since I moved on from those games though I haven't actually encountered any toxic behaviour, at least not on Overwatch which is the only FPS I still play. The only thing people do is sometimes they say "gg ez" in the chat when they win which is a bit annoying but whatever. Overwatch is actually hard coded to replace "gg ez" with a sentence about how insecure the person is hahahha

I even tried using the mic for a bit on Overwatch and it went alright, nobody pointed out my gender or anything, everybody just got along fine. Don't know if it'll stay that way though and I've stopped using it again since I don't play competitive anymore (people get way too mad)

This is exactly why I don't play team games online. They're usually filled with people younger than me spewing insults and trying to look cool. I'm just too old for that garbage attitude nowadays. I don't tolerate it anymore.

This also goes for online communities too like groups on tumblr, some forums, etc. I don't wanna waste my time arguing with someone younger than me. If they're older than me or my age then it makes me even more embarrassed they're acting that way which definitely proves no one should waste their time.

That said, debates are fine. I'm referring to people name calling and bullying.

I used to play an FPS game. It was Overwatch, one of the most toxic communities I have ever been in. I am a woman, so I am used to the hate that I get for playing games. My cousin (much older than me and was very much aware of toxicity in gaming community’s) warned me that I should never go on mic unless I was ready to. A year passes and I decided to go on mic. My first try was surprisingly nice, with a few “ugh you’re trash” and “how do you miss a shot like that??”. Then, as I got better, I got a higher rank. The ranking put me with extremely toxic people. I started to hear “wow you should kill yourself, it would be best for the whole team” and “maybe you should go back to the kitchen, b****”. It took a lot out of me and I just lost interest in the game, because insults like that really pile up. I couldn’t deal with it, so I just stopped playing. It’s not a satisfying end, but at least it help brighten my spirits. I’m so sorry for all of you horrible experiences, people super awful sometimes. I hope you all know that you are really good at the game you play, and if you really love the game, push through! Just remember that you are an amazing player, and your toxic teammates can go suck on your success.

I used to play an FPS game. It was Overwatch, one of the most toxic communities I have ever been in. I am a woman, so I am used to the hate that I get for playing games. My cousin (much older than me and was very much aware of toxicity in gaming community’s) warned me that I should never go on mic unless I was ready to. A year passes and I decided to go on mic. My first try was surprisingly nice, with a few “ugh you’re trash” and “how do you miss a shot like that??”. Then, as I got better, I got a higher rank. The ranking put me with extremely toxic people. I started to hear “wow you should kill yourself, it would be best for the whole team” and “maybe you should go back to the kitchen, b****”. It took a lot out of me and I just lost interest in the game, because insults like that really pile up. I couldn’t deal with it, so I just stopped playing. It’s not a satisfying end, but at least it help brighten my spirits. I’m so sorry for all of you horrible experiences, people super awful sometimes. I hope you all know that you are really good at the game you play, and if you really love the game, push through! Just remember that you are an amazing player, and your toxic teammates can go suck on your success.
That's really awful, wow. I always just think that the people who take a game seriously enough to say these things to someone truly do have problems and that usually makes me feel better.

Like, my life may not be perfect but at least I'm not sad enough to dedicate my life to a video game and yell at people.

I simply don’t play League anymore, as tempting as it is to get back into it. That community sucks.

Back