• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What are some tropes, cliches and plots you are tired of seeing?

For anime, I'm mostly sick of school settings and the "everyday" boy or girl. The boy is usually a huge whiner (think Shinji from Evangelion or Yuki from Mirai Nikki) and the girl is usually a klutzy "ganbatte!" yelling person who eventually will have a whiny character story arc about how they don't have enough confidence. The girl is more annoying than the boy to me in this example, because of how OFTEN this stereotype happens. MANY anime that features a girl as the lead is this personality.

Isekai and "cute girls doing cute things" genres are getting boring too.

Honestly, Japan is just way too obsessed with kizuna (ie the power of friendship) and seishun (youth - this is a LARGE reason why school anime is so prevalent) in general.

Misunderstandings. I absolutely hate seeing a big huge ordeal stem from a simple misunderstanding or a simple thing that wasn't said. Then several episodes/chapters later the one tiny thing is finally said that could have made the past few events just not happen and was a huge was of time.

Besides the above trope, I feel like any trope can be turned around or freshened up with a new perspective or how someone uses it.

This is pretty shallow but when I watch a lighthearted romance drama I just get tired when the second female lead / love interest turns out to be a conniving woman with no absolute warmth or depth when the entire series already shows that there's a layer of sincerity and passion to her :( it just feels like such a waste of character development when they antagonize second leads / love rivals just so the protagonist couple end up together.

I think the most annoying trope especially in YA is just random romance that's simply added because "hes a boy, shes a girl, so they fall in love". Almost every single YA I've read basically does this and sometimes uses romance as if it were a solution to everything and it's so shallow and cliche. The only book I am aware of that doesn't do this is "This Savage Song" by Victoria Schwab.

This is pretty shallow but when I watch a lighthearted romance drama I just get tired when the second female lead / love interest turns out to be a conniving woman with no absolute warmth or depth when the entire series already shows that there's a layer of sincerity and passion to her :( it just feels like such a waste of character development when they antagonize second leads / love rivals just so the protagonist couple end up together.
Sometimes they have great ideas for love triangles, then have no idea how to resolve them. A book I read a couple of years ago simply killed off the rival love interest in an explosion. It was such lazy writing but I had to give props for originality. 😂

Sometimes they have great ideas for love triangles, then have no idea how to resolve them. A book I read a couple of years ago simply killed off the rival love interest in an explosion. It was such lazy writing but I had to give props for originality. 😂
Very true, some love triangles work out so well sometimes you feel like you want to root for the second male/female lead to the main one! It's a shame that characters with a good start end up becoming a bad plot device just for the sake of protagonists. Oh my, that's quite a book 😂 😂 definitely a plus for originality, it's a waste but comedic when creators just kill off characters when there's no exact depth or reason.

-The main character ALWAYS winning or getting some form of injury but then redeems themselves
-Characters who have no chemistry and are forced to get together
-Love triangles (Sometimes they can be decent though)
-The male and female protagonists getting together (i'll admit, they are good from time to time, but it's annoying to see it happen so often.)

"I wanna be a witch" type shows. It's just boring and overdone. Oh you're a normal human but trying hard to be a good witch but then there's a snooty girl in class who is threatened by you and puts you down saying you can never be a good witch but then you show her later on? Boooooooring!

I just had one on my mind: when a man apparently crossdresses and all these other men get attracted to him thinking he's a woman, and then get repulsed by finding out the individual is a crossdresser.

A lot of mine have already been spoken for but one thing I hate that hasnt seem to be said yet is, the mute protagonist.

I hate mute protags. This is happens more often in video games than any other media. I prefer protags that actually have personality. Let them talk, make mistakes and whatever. Ugh.

When the villain actually turns out to be a good guy who is fighting against an even worse villain.

A lot of mine have already been spoken for but one thing I hate that hasnt seem to be said yet is, the mute protagonist.

I hate mute protags. This is happens more often in video games than any other media. I prefer protags that actually have personality. Let them talk, make mistakes and whatever. Ugh.

I guess that means you hate AC huh?

just kidding.

I guess that means you hate AC huh?

just kidding.
Lol good one! AC I dont mind because the villager is suppose to be you. What I dont like is the protag being "mute" in games that are say rpg. The original intent of the devs was that the protag is ment to be the player. And ofc each player is different. However, in some cases the protag gets some sort of "canon" iteration later on which causes the arguments from fans that i dislike. Some good examples are Pokemon and Persona.

Back