What are your favorite franchises that haven't had a new entry in years?

Suguri

Yeah-yeah
Bells
Switch
0557-5119-2409
Island
Westward
Arcade Scenery
Arcade Scenery
Tera Orb
Arcade Scenery
Arcade Scenery
Perfect Apple
Zodiac Dragon Figurine
Zodiac Dragon Figurine
Zodiac Dragon Figurine
Apple (Fruit)
I think this is an interesting question because I know there are some of us out there keeping our heads up for that one game in a series that probably won't be released any time soon, due to outside circumstances like the company going bankrupt, irrelevance, etc.

My favorites are PaRappa the Rapper and Rhythm Heaven. They're both silly rhythm game franchises with lots of charm that you can't find in others (except Taiko no Tatsujin IMO). While I believe a new release from either those two is almost unlikely at this point, I always end up telling myself that one day, it will happen. I just gotta believe!! :D

Professor Layton has not had an entry since 2013, although that will change next year.
despite the seemingly endless ports, Ace Attorney has not actually had a new entry since 2017.

Reactions: Neb
College Football hasn’t had a release since 2013, but that will change in July of this year. I plan on getting the game day one.

Kid Icarus!!! I really wanted a Kid Icarus game for the Switch, but unfortunately it doesn't look like they plan on continuing that series. 🥲

A new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game would be based as well. It's too bad the Switch version is just a remake with a story that isn't that long.

There hasn’t been a new Oeundan/Elite Beat Agents game since 2011. For those that don’t know, it’s the series that inspired the gameplay of the popular rhythm game Osu. They’ve been stuck on the DS and have never been rereleased. They were heavily reliant on both screens of the DS at the same time so I couldn’t see them making it work on newer platforms without huge changes. The reason they’ll never rerelease them is because the soundtrack consisted of covers of copyrighted music and the fact the series didn’t do as well as they hoped sales wise.

Scribblenauts hasn’t had a new entry since 2018 and that was a poorly received spin off by a different studio. The original company that made the series doesn’t exist anymore so I doubt we’ll ever get another real game in the series.

Rayman hasn’t had a real new game since 2012. Instead of making a new one Ubisoft keeps putting Legends on new platforms and putting it on sale constantly. It’s a good game, but it would be nice to see a modern take on the series.

Considering what most game companies did in the current day (trying to overly pander, outrageous prices like $90 or when Ubisoft tried pricing their games at $130, and they took that digital copies of that one game off the player's game libraries, attempts in making NFT's, Ubisoft is trash now.)

I would rather have the old beloved franchises that haven't gotten a new entry stay dead and untouched rather than seeing these series completely destroyed and having their defining trait that makes them so beloved being removed or altered on top of bad decisions like microtransactions in a full-priced game and pricing a game at $130.

Fantasy Zone should stay untouched and so are the other series listed above in this thread. But this is just my opinion on that matter.

.hack// was always one of my top favorite JRPG series. I just love everything about it, the art, music, and story especially. I'm very impressed at the level of detail they put into worldbuilding which spans beyond the games into anime and books as well. Unfortunately there hasn't been a new game since the remake GU Last Recode several years ago. Which imo is the definitive version of GU you should play if you haven't, although you should probably start with IMOQ. Anyway a new game seems unlikely, for whatever reason, maybe it was just too unpopular. Despite this there are still active fan communities out there though! Hoping maybe one day there could be at least a remake of the other games. My dream though would be a newer online game based on the concept.

Tomodachi Life, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Wave Race, Rhythm Heaven, and Earthbound come to mind.

Also, I'd love to see another 3D Donkey Kong. I know there have been 2D Donkey Kong games, but there still hasn't been a follow-up to Donkey Kong 64 from 1999. I keep hoping we get one someday. (Or even a remake that fixed some of those awkward camera/control issues in certain places.)

A new Donkey Kong game that isn't just a remake. Tropical Freeze came out on the Wii U in 2013. I'm surprised they did Tropical Freeze as the first remake and not Return. All of the remakes are getting old.

There are others like I would enjoy seeing Mother 3 come overseas in some way, but it's clear Nintendo isn't going to do anything with that. And I would like to see Fallout 5, but with the way Todd and Bethesda mucked up Starfield I wouldn't want to see them have the reigns for another Fallout tbh.

I think it's interesting that Nintendogs hasn't had a new installment. It sold so well and seems like a natural fit for the Switch. I don't know that I'd buy it now, but it feels like the children of 2024 deserve high quality virtual dogs too!

I would absolutely LOVE a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game (not just a remake), but I'm not sure if that's on the horizon any time soon. They seem to be more interested in remaking prior Pokemon games and exploring the Legends format.

This was how I felt about Fantasy Life before they announced a follow-up! Great idea for a game--I hope they do a decent job on the successor.

This one might not count, but the Mario Galaxy premise was my favorite for the 3-D Mario titles and I'd love to see a third game one day, although I doubt it'll ever happen. I'm sure games like Mario Odyssey were intended to be the follow-up for that style of game.

Oh! And I'd really enjoy a new Legend of Zelda installment of something like Triforce Heroes or Four Swords--preferably a game that knew how to scale for number of players (so you didn't NEED an exact number), invited local co-op, and made the cooperative play an integral part of the game rather than just the tacked-on multiplayer that most games are offering these days.

Style Savvy, Project Mirai (even Project DIVA for that matter), and as others have echoed Tomodachi Life!

Style Savvy hasn’t had a true new entry since Styling Star in 2017 which is still a fantastic game. I really love the series and Fashion Dreamer is cute but hopefully Nintendo will fund a true sequel eventually!

Project Mirai is dead you guys lol they only had it because the 3DS couldn’t handle the normal Miku graphics but I’ll miss the gameplay! It was so different and much easier for me than the Diva games. Even Diva hasn’t really had many new entries that aren’t rehashed arcade ports. Hopefully Sekai’s success leads to a new entry in the series.

TOMO LIFE NEEDS A NEW ONE PLSSSS NINTENDO 1719325916358.jpeg

Drill Dozer comes to mind. The game ends with a huge cliffhanger and the Switch is the perfect console to create a sequel to the game given its HD Rumble feature in the Joy Cons and Pro Controller.

Golden Sun, Okami, Ace Attorney.

AA most certainly isn't a dead franchise, as they have gradually remastered and released the series in bundles, but this has been a very long wait for a new game.

The other two, IDK. Golden Sun seems dead. =( I thought there was talk of an Okami sequel so I don't know if it's dead, but it could have gone nowhere.

i would also like to shout out golden sun ! and breath of fire !

i also rly miss dragon warrior monster entries in the dragon quest series , i feel like the last one must have been more than 10 years ago now or something

Drill Dozer comes to mind. The game ends with a huge cliffhanger and the Switch is the perfect console to create a sequel to the game given its HD Rumble feature in the Joy Cons and Pro Controller.
ABSOLUTELY! Love that game!

Also, it'd be cool to see a new Rocket Knight Adventures. In the meantime, once I have the money, I'll buy and enjoy the collection of the classic games in the series.

i realized most of the franchises i like get new games often or they've gotten one recently.

the only one i can think of is fallout, but ONLY if you don't count 76 as a "mainline" game. some do and some don't, i haven't played it so idk. even still, 76 came out in 2018. and fallout 4 came out in 2015.

Tomodachi Life, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Wave Race, Rhythm Heaven, and Earthbound come to mind.

Also, I'd love to see another 3D Donkey Kong. I know there have been 2D Donkey Kong games, but there still hasn't been a follow-up to Donkey Kong 64 from 1999. I keep hoping we get one someday. (Or even a remake that fixed some of those awkward camera/control issues in certain places.)

F-Zero 99 came out late last year. If you're an F-Zero fan, suggest giving a try. I haven't played in quite a while but it was pretty fun and did a nice job bringing back some of the classic tracks in a new style.

Back