What are your favorite franchises that haven't had a new entry in years?

This isn’t one of my favorite franchises really ‘cause I think most of the overall series is crap but omg the original Spyro trilogy… I was a hater for personal reasons but the more I wait… platformers are really not in a good state right now and after around 25 years we still don’t have a successor to this level design ethos. Seriously nothing has scratched the itch for it and it’s embarassing this godly level design direction is right here and nobody is copying it because every indie 3D platformer has either the most basic hallwayed stuff or is insistent on wasting your time somehow
Like Sly and Psychonauts and early Ratchet ya good, but you ain’t Spyro 1 good

In general where are good 3D platformers? Legit? The only good indie one to come out this decade imho is Cavern of Dreams and Crash 4 / Bowser’s Fury are the only AAA ones I can think of (thankfully both are great, Crash 4 is my favorite actually). Take your pick and basically any 3D platformer aside from Mario and Crash (which I accept is probably dead again) belongs in this thread. Psychonauts gets a pass because it was obviously never that big of a seller but with the rest? It’s sad they don’t even try man. Sony have some under their brand that nobody is doing anything with. Next Ratchet ain’t even until the end of the decade either (and at this point, that series is more of a shooter with platforming elements). Jak has the excuse of having a concluded story I guess, but they already undid that with Sly so they may as well toss something out with him. I don’t even like Banjo-Kazooie but it’s mindblowing how that is still dormant. Not even a remake.

Also the lack of any new DK game this generation is embarassing and Returns HD is an unnecessary and crappy-looking port. The burden of making Retro handle both that series and Metroid is that it seems only one can be active at a time. Tropical Freeze is the best 2D platformer, you can’t change my mind and… I guess Nintendo agreed.

F-Zero nuff said. Unless you count 99. It was cool but it’s more of a battle royale with F-Zero paint.

Where is Rayman? A game that had the best aspects of Origins and Legends would have been perfect. World sensibilities and some features that were left in the former, with some of the more unhinged concepts and energy from the latter. But nope they just made an edgy joke out of the character. Granted I actually think it was a funny edgy joke but my man deserves better. I really don’t trust Ubisoft or want to buy another game from them but if they put out a really good looking Rayman game in the same vein maybe I’d do it?

Edit: I legit forgot Ratchet Rift Apart is a 2021 game and I haven’t had the chance to play it yet so I guess toss it on the pile of AAA 3D platformers from this decade. But I still hold and feel from what I watched it is more of a shooter with platforming elements, and the series had more balance in its better entries. I can’t know for sure without playing I suppose.
Like it sounds crazy to be upset we don’t have that many 3D platformers this decade because it still feels so early in… but we’re almost halfway through the decade man.

Last edited:
If I could choose just one, it would be Viva Piñata series. I don't think it's likely that it will come back, but I'm always hopeful. It was the perfect mix for me - animal focused, cozy, and lots of decorating and gardening. I do still play the games that were released, but I'd love to see a modern release.

Hamtaro and Warioland.

Omg a hamtaro farm/life sim with new characters added would be too cute. But honestly I'd be fine with a puzzle adventure hamtaro game. Or even a platforming collect a thon rescue. Lbr.. any hamtaro game. Those chubby hamsters are too darn cute.

I would say Primal Rage but I don't believe one game is considered a franchise lol. But fierce or gnarly dinosaurs are underrated. Unfortunately I'm not sure anyone knows who owns the license to Primal Rage. I know some reddit people were trying to find out so they could ask about a potential remake.

Back