• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What are your thoughts on gifting/ gifted villagers?

Do you like gifted villagers?

• It never bothers me

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Mostly good but on occasions its bad

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Its rarely good but some things work out well

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I want fully original at all times

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
i genuinely don't care either way. i gift all my villagers clothing that suits them until they give me their photos. if they want to buy any of my bugs or fish, i let them because i feel bad if i don't. if x wants me to deliver a gift to y, and it's an outfit that doesn't really suit y, i just let them wear it and move on. i rarely see them wear it out and about anyway. i don't care if i receive a villager that's been gifted either.

i personally just don't like the idea of controlling every aspect of my villagers. they're my friends, not marionettes. they feel more alive and unique when they wear whatever they want and decorate their house however they want. i don't have anything against people who choose to do the opposite, that's just how i feel about it.

I gift very cautiously. I gifted Dotty some teal clothing to match her ears, and Etoile and Sherb matching dreamy sweaters. The rest of my villagers are ungifted. I would like gifting clothes more if they didn’t display clothing in their houses.

I run a no gift policy in my island simply because I might sell or give them away. (Most adopters prefer everything original nowadays.) However, I am considering to give my permanent villagers some gifts to personalise them.

I like getting ungifted and original villagers because inevitably someone out there has given that villager something heinous or ugly they wear every single day without fail. I think that's happened with almost every gifted villager I have. I took a gifted Judy and she wears a previously gifted red noble dress at least 3-5 times a week and it bothers me sooo much. It doesn't match her at all and she just will not stop wearing it no matter how many other things I give her.

That said, I do gift items to some of my villagers, but only to ones I intend to keep. I feel like gifting is fine if they're never leaving but I try to keep the ones I'll cycle through original to sell. Sometimes I unexpectedly want to let a gifted one go but I always make sure to say they've been gifted or explain what gifts if I can.

I think the big thing to me is how many times I've gotten villagers who were masqueraded as original, but weren't. I don't mind accepting gifted ones but I don't like it when people are dishonest about it. I think that's wrong!

For me, I only gift my permanent villagers (of which I usually have 6 on my island, while rotating the other plots around). I've only bought 2 villagers ever back in the first couple months of the game, and they both came with quite ugly gifted clothing, and items in their house. Super triggered me back then, and I ended up voiding them after a point to re-hunt for said villagers. Even on one of my dreamies, when a villager gave a clothing gift to them as one of the errand favors. It seemed like every other day they'd wear the awful clothing, which in turn, had me void and re-hunt for them yet again.

TLDR: I don't mind my own dreamies having my own gifts to them, but I don't gift villagers I trade/sell/rotate.

Meh, I don't mind if they're gifted. I don't usually get villagers from other people to begin with, but if and when I do, I don't really mind if they've been given stuff. I personally like when villagers have quirky outfits on. I also can't say no to villagers like if i'm carrying around a spider in my pockets and one of them wants to display it in their house I unfortunately let them. I can remember one time in New Leaf I let Fauna have a fossil I was running around with. That girl.... She cleared out her WHOLE house and put the damn fossil up. It looked so terrible, but it was hilarious.

Back