What's something in a non-horror game that creeped you out or scared you? (Wether or not it was intentionally scary or unintentionally scary.)

There's an obscure 3D platformer called Psuedoregalia and there's a dark underground area with very eerie music. I had to take my headphones out so I'd be less creeped out. There's also an NPC with ominous dialogue in the theater that freaked me out a bit. I won't spoil what he says though since it was so unexpected.

On the PS1 Toy Story 2 video game, there's a jackhammer boss on the Construction Site level that scared me as a kid. I remember trying to stand as far away as possible from this thing as I shot flying discs at it. Getting near it was the scary part, as the screen would shake violently and it would knock you off the beams if it hit you. Nowadays, I don't even get goosebumps.

Another boss on the Alleys and Gulleys level had a Jack-in-the-Box that looked freaky as well. I never encountered it as a kid as getting to it was very difficult (and you needed a powerup from a later level anyways). When I 100% the game later on, I saw this and imagined that kid me would probably have been scared of it.

This might require a lot of explanation considering I’m probably one of the only people in the world who likes this game, so it’s going to be kind of long.

This mf:

1729075976867.png

In New Super Mario Bros 2, there’s an enemy called Boohemoth that appears in the Ghost Houses of World 2 and World Flower. In the World 2 one, you enter a room and then he appears out of nowhere. Imagine that you’re an 6/7 year old kid and you walk into a room in your Mario game and see this Boo appear out of nowhere, that’s so big that it takes up a third of the screen. I’m pretty sure it can hurt you, so it’s basically a glorified autoscroller that you can stop if you look at it and damages you, but this was still terrifying as a kid. I never beat the stage in my own because of that, so I just got a kid that I knew (I still know him today) that also liked Mario and was a year older than me to beat the stage.

In World Flower, it’s a little different. In World 2 it appears in the second room of the stage, which is very early on. In World Flower, the Ghost House has an interesting gimmick where you climb up the stage like a normal vertical level, until you get to the top where there’s a Super Star, and when you touch it, not only do you turn invincible, but all the floor turns into coins. If you stick to the right side of the screen as much as you can, you’ll land on a platform that you can follow to get to the third Star Coin and a secret exit that lets you play a different level to take you to the castle. If you don’t, I learned the hard way that you’ll end up on a new path that you couldn’t access before and it has the Boo on it. I tried to get that kid I was talking about earlier to help me beat the stage the through the normal path, but even he was too scared (despite… the fact that the Boo doesn’t look different at all in this stage compared to the other one). So until I got a new cartridge a few years later after I lost the old one, I never beat the stage the normal way, I never got the second Star Coin which requires taking that path, and I never got to play the other World Flower stages.

Thanks Nintendo :)

This might require a lot of explanation considering I’m probably one of the only people in the world who likes this game, so it’s going to be kind of long.

This mf:

View attachment 590796

In New Super Mario Bros 2, there’s an enemy called Boohemoth that appears in the Ghost Houses of World 2 and World Flower. In the World 2 one, you enter a room and then he appears out of nowhere. Imagine that you’re an 6/7 year old kid and you walk into a room in your Mario game and see this Boo appear out of nowhere, that’s so big that it takes up a third of the screen. I’m pretty sure it can hurt you, so it’s basically a glorified autoscroller that you can stop if you look at it and damages you, but this was still terrifying as a kid. I never beat the stage in my own because of that, so I just got a kid that I knew (I still know him today) that also liked Mario and was a year older than me to beat the stage.

In World Flower, it’s a little different. In World 2 it appears in the second room of the stage, which is very early on. In World Flower, the Ghost House has an interesting gimmick where you climb up the stage like a normal vertical level, until you get to the top where there’s a Super Star, and when you touch it, not only do you turn invincible, but all the floor turns into coins. If you stick to the right side of the screen as much as you can, you’ll land on a platform that you can follow to get to the third Star Coin and a secret exit that lets you play a different level to take you to the castle. If you don’t, I learned the hard way that you’ll end up on a new path that you couldn’t access before and it has the Boo on it. I tried to get that kid I was talking about earlier to help me beat the stage the through the normal path, but even he was too scared (despite… the fact that the Boo doesn’t look different at all in this stage compared to the other one). So until I got a new cartridge a few years later after I lost the old one, I never beat the stage the normal way, I never got the second Star Coin which requires taking that path, and I never got to play the other World Flower stages.

Thanks Nintendo :)
If NSMB2 has 1,000,000 fans, I am one of them.

If NSMB2 has 1 fan, that fan is me.

If NSMB2 has 0 fans, I am dead.

Back