Whats the difference between Brewster's Cafe and The Basement?

ShawnFuzz

In Colorado, under my cats rule.
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Friday the 13th Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
I posted a poll in the Brewster's Cafe section, and it was moved to The Basement because "moving to the Basement for threads that don't generate a lot of discussion".

Is Brewster's Cafe more about discussion, and those who post in The Basement are silent?

Looking at the numbers, Brewsters has just under 34k threads with 1.1m posts. By comparison, The Basement has a much smaller number of threads at 5.8k threads, and nearly double the posts at 2m posts. So... huh?

At this time, I have 16 replies to my poll that isn't "generating discussion".

What I am I missing, and misunderstanding?
Post automatically merged:

Okay, my thread being moved again... I am starting to think the bosses are messing with me.

Last edited:
Brewster’s Cafe is more just for general miscellaneous discussion, while The Basement is meant for playing games. Usually anything where posts probably won’t contribute to a meaningful discussion and are just for fun belong in The Basement. I think the thread you’re referring to is this one, in which case I think they probably moved it because it’s not really a discussion and it could be considered a game.

Idk I hope I answered your question and you’re not confused about anything. 😅 If not I’m sure someone else will come and explain it better.

Hi!

The difference mainly comes down to the quality of replies the thread is likely to generate. The Basement is for things like forum games where the answers may be very concise or just fun threads that don't ask meaningful questions. Because The Basement is full of these types of quick, short posts, the post count is considerably higher but the post quality is reduced.

There's nothing wrong with either location, but we don't police The Basement for post quality. So if something seems like it could lead to those types of posts, we'd rather move it versus having to warn people in Brewster's.

Your thread has generated interest and responses, so please don't think it was for that reason. Hope that helps explain the difference a little better, but if you still have questions let me know.

Thank you @Yoshi155 and @LadyDestani for the responses. I have to say that as a new member, and by "new" I mean going on two years, but nothing compared to those of you who are committed since the first days of Animal Crossing... I get confused by the forum, just a tad.

A little more description might be helpful on the forum topics. It might just be me... I am kind of dumb and a stickler for instructions... but I have had a difficult time trying to figure out where to ask questions, and where to post certain topics or interests. If it's just me, and I am stupid, PM me... I will only cry a little 😆

Thank you @Yoshi155 and @LadyDestani for the responses. I have to say that as a new member, and by "new" I mean going on two years, but nothing compared to those of you who are committed since the first days of Animal Crossing... I get confused by the forum, just a tad.

A little more description might be helpful on the forum topics. It might just be me... I am kind of dumb and a stickler for instructions... but I have had a difficult time trying to figure out where to ask questions, and where to post certain topics or interests. If it's just me, and I am stupid, PM me... I will only cry a little 😆
No, you're definitely not stupid! It's not uncommon for us to move things. It's just something that happens from time to time. You're not the only one and no one is going to get upset over it.

Sometimes we even have to check with other staff for consensus because not every topic fits in a neat little box. In fact, if your thread was moved multiple times, it might have been differing viewpoints from staff members who didn't realize it was already moved. I promise nobody was trying to play a joke on you. 😇

I actually noticed it got moved and I started to wonder about it myself. Since you said the numbers had 'no specific purpose', it seemed more like a data collection poll rather than an ongoing game that belonged with the other topics in The Basement section. (There's not really anything being played. People are going to vote on a number and exit).

The post quality thing makes sense though.

Back