• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What’s the last book you finished?

shutter island by dennis lehane. haven't read it since i was like 15 and it SLAPPED

It's going to be a busy year, so I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have for reading this year, but I have had some time to read lately! I finished LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring and LOTR: The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien between January/Feb, and then I finished The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer a week or so ago.

It's going to be a busy year, so I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have for reading this year, but I have had some time to read lately! I finished LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring and LOTR: The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien between January/Feb, and then I finished The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer a week or so ago.

Update from my previous post, I finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (1963) on Saturday.

My overall impression of the book was good. It's not without issue, as there are several casually racist remarks, and I feel that's worth noting and acknowledging. The protagonist initially felt unlikeable, judgemental, and superficial. My impression of the protagonist did not necessarily fade, though as the book develops so does an understanding of her mind, and I felt myself more sympathetic and empathetic to the struggles that enveloped her existence. You truly want the best for her. The book flowed beautifully, and felt very easy to read. The descriptions feel believable and meaningful, and evoke thoughtful emotion, presumably because of the context between the protagonist and the author. Reading it was worthwhile, particularly for the perspective of the author's experience enduring mental illness.

I don't think this is the most important quote from the novel, but I think it's probably the most relatable, so I thought I would share!
"I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story.

From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out.

I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

i know that this thread hasn’t been posted in a while but i wanted to share about a book that i just finished that i actually enjoyed. it’s called long way down by jason reynolds, it’s basically about gun violence

the main character’s brother gets killed by a gang member and he goes to avenge his death but ghosts of people he used to know (who were also killed) try to convince him out of doing it by sharing their experiences.

my english class read it, it’s an interesting book but i thought the ending was kind of vague and unsatisfying.

im not usually a reader but the reason why i enjoyed it so much (apart from the ending) is because it was written in verse instead of standard paragraphs.

Last edited:
1685480667846.png

It was pretty good. His signature is chef's kiss btw lol

All You Can Ever Know by Nicole Chung. This is another memoir by someone who grew up in my state. As someone who is also adopted I could relate to her struggle of spending so much of her life not knowing her entire background (Although I did grow up with my birth mom).

It does have the issue I have with a lot of memoirs where it skips huge chunks of the writer’s life. I’m not expecting am autobiography, but I do find the jump from her early childhood right to after college a bit jarring.

The last book I finished was “The Giver” by Lois Lowry. My english class read it before school let out. I thought it was a good book overall, I just hated the ending. Do Jonas and Gabriel die? Did they stumble upon some sort of town just moments before passing out?Will Gabriel remember the old community at all? I hate books that leave it up to your interpretation.

I finished 'Flipped' by Wendelin van Draanen a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I was so invested.

I finished a few books the past few weeks: Love Letters to the Dead, Fifteen Dogs, and Running With Scissors. The first two books were great, and the last one was pretty interesting.

Book for school for sure, Dracula I think, or something for teenagers as we have general literature and youth literature. I was late to read my books, I was too lazy during the year to read soooo... yes, I had to speed.
Dracula is very nice though. Read the short version of it, and I loved it so much! Especially the beginning in the castle, because you don't know what will happen to the protagonist.
I recomend!

I just finished Catching Fire this afternoon! It might be my favourite one in the series, but I'll have to finish Mockingjay and Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes before I can reach a verdict.

If manga counts, I rented the book Shiver, a collection of stories by mangaka Junji Ito, from the library last month and finished it yesterday. Would've finished it sooner but was busy. In October over the past few years, I'd previously read Uzumaki, Gyo, and his adaptation of Osamu Dazai's novel No Longer Human. None of the stories in Shiver were favorites compared to those ones I've previously read, but they weren't bad either, I enjoyed them. The Hanging Balloons and The Long Dream were my favorite stories in this collection.

Back