• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What's your process of coloring digitally?

DinosaurDumpster

You're watching Disney Channel
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Yellow Candy
Digital artists of TBT, what's your art process of coloring?
This can also apply to traditional artists if you also would like to reply!
Kinda curious.. since my process is garbage

I just use the cel shading method then use the blend tool in clip studio paint.. I need to find a better way to color

I use a lot of layers to separate stuff, including the colours. I would always put the colour layer underneath all the layers I have done so I don't colour over them.

I color on the layer directly below the lineart. Since I have a nonconventional art style I swipe a watercolor-style pen around a few times to get a crayon/paint look but I’ve been experimenting with other pens.

The brushes are very pixelated in procreate, so I have the worst time with auto fill. I end up just lining with color first before using it. Also use a lot of layers because I’m garbage at shading and blending I like to be able to fix it easily when I mess up.

I tend to go back and forth between lines and colour - doing a rough line draft, doing a rough colour, then a neater line draft, then cleaning up and using alpha lock/clipping masks to add details/textures/shading, depending on what i’m going for ☺️ I like the process to be as fluid and sketchy throughout really rather than solidifying the lines early.

so in my digital art, when coloring digitally, I usually fill in all the areas by hand (unless they're really large areas or basic shapes; then I usually use the bucket tool first) and from there I often use cel shading in multiple layers (usually 3-4 layers of color). I've experimented recently with using the gradient tool in Medibang to do shading, but I usually like to stick with cel shading.

big-catto.jpg
1595700969690.png
1598404078163.png

I use the pen and wand tool to color in the layers
I use separate layers for coloring.
I use the pen tool since fill tool could have some unfilled areas sometimes..

Layers are really useful. I do digital art in Procreate on my iPad although it has a layer limit which can be incredibly frustrating at times. Sometimes I just do it all on one layer lmao

So. Many. Layers. Like each colour and detail, unless I want 2 different colours to blend, will all get their own layer. I apply the colour below the lineart layer(s) and colour inside the lines, and I need thick lines. The bucket tool on ibis Paint X isn't seamless and leaves this weird white missed border from the colour I drew and where I bucketed the same exact colour, so I usually fill everything in manually. I then clean up any outside the lines colour with the erased and also fix my lines with the eraser cause there's no line stabilizer option.

Start coloring with the bucket tool at a new layer under the line art layer. Color the hair, face blah blah blah... Start shading it after that I add some finishing touches. Quite simple

1. Do extensive research on the kind of style I want (i.e. 80s anime, 80s anime style, Urusei Yatsura, Macross, etc.)
2. Build a palette based on whatever the piece is inspired by
3. Use palette to basically fingerpaint everything with the apple pencil (smudging... lots of smudging...)
4. After I’ve got this basic mix of colors, I do shadows & highlights- i usually do a basic cel technique for shading non-human characters & environments.
5. Add an area light (i still struggle with rim lighting, so I only do it if I know where to put the rim).
6. Add an overlay/soft light (environment light) if necessary
7. Add effects if necessary

I’m still only at the intermediate stage of rendering, but I was able to get this far thanks to all of the talented artists that I’m friends with & that I follow on social media. i use lots of reference & tutorials!

Back