When do you think the Animal Crossing franchise began to awaken?

What game awakened Animal Crossing series?

• Doubutsu No Mori (N64)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Animal Crossing (GCN)

• Wild World

• City Folk

• New Horizons

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

LF: More TBT Bells
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Toadette Foraged Mushroom
Pink Heavy Foraged Mushroom
Frogstool Foraged Mushroom
Silver Wild Foraged Mickshroom
We-made-too-many Foraged Mushroom
The Portabelltree Foraged Mushroom
Oblivia's Ugly Foraged MSPaintshroom
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
So the Animal Crossing franchise began in 2001, but 2002 here in the United States. However, the series didn’t start waking up until later (when it became more recognized and more popular).

What game do you think awakened the franchise - in other words, made Animal Crossing a more famous brand than those obscure Nintendo franchises like Excitebike and Ice Climber?

I feel like that the franchise didn’t start waking up until Animal Crossing: New Leaf came out. Granted, it didn’t become super popular until ACNH came out, but I think it began to get more recognition when ACNL came out. It was also when town customization first became a feature, and when characters like Fauna, Marshal, and Isabelle were introduced. Before New Leaf, Animal Crossing was rarely seen anywhere outside the games. But after New Leaf, we saw it in other areas - Smash, Mario Kart, and amiibo cards. It was even one of the few Nintendo franchises to have Switch avatars when the Switch was first launched. And this was all before New Horizons came out.

honestly i agree with new leaf. that's what REALLY got me into the franchise and the forums

I want to say New Leaf but I know I'm biased because that was my first AC game!

I think I remember the hype for the game before it even came out though which is odd because I didnt really even know anything about the franchise at the time, and I feel like that says a lot about NL.

Idk, I would say NL because that was the first game I played. I did have some interest playing WW years ago on my cousin’s da, but that wasn’t as much compared to playing NL.

As much as I liked the original (then missed out on WW), I’m pretty sure NL caused the franchise to pick up the pace.

Back