• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Where to start paths?

Mao

hvc
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Mother's Day Carnation
う
森
ぶ
ど
Chocolate Cake
Pink Feather
The Bell Tree Fair 2013 Patch
Pokéball
Pokéball
I want to start doing my paths but I don't know where to start D; People say it doesn't matter but I want everything to line up if you know what I mean? Its also annoying how it doesn't start right infront of you house, either to the left of right. Tips on laying paths? Advice? And where did you start yours (if you have one xD)

P.S: I edited my other thread so thats why if the first few replies don't add up

Last edited:
How does the code look? Is it a decent size?

If it's too small the 3DS won't read it.

Big, Bold and Clear. Don't zoom to far and make it blurry. Also, do it in shade so it is not to bright.

Try to get the edges of the box on the 3ds camera around the frame of the code - opposed to lining up those 3 squares which always gave me trouble. In other words. fit the whole code in the box then move the 3ds back just a little

all my paths converge at the train station, and they're put over the routes I take the most

You can check out my dream town for a 'unique' way to put paths.
Well not that 'unique', but at least they look so... balanced, i guess?

Note: I use more than 20 paths, i guess? (or is it just 15+?)

Last edited:
I cover all the areas with cobblestone first (plaza, train station, re-tail, town hall) and then start by connecting those with whatever route I use to get there. Then I connect those to the bridges and beach ramps and yeah I kind of just cover the routes I take the most.

I start by laying down paths from the major buildings. Meaning, the Train Station, my house, Retail, the Plaza, Cafe, and Police Station. Then you just connect them together and make sure they go over bridges and beach ramps. I recommend making it triple-wide. This way the path will be centered when leading up to houses and what not. Currently, I'm using triple-wide with the exception of some parts being only double-wide. Such as the paths to houses, and the beach ramps. Triple-wide would look silly in those spots (at least in my town. I know a few people who have pulled it off, though.)

I know it's overwhelming. It should be. It's a huge and important addition to your town. Take all the time you need. Hastily placing patterns won't look good, and won't be functional for visitors and yourself. Just relax, and start at one area. If you get frustrated, bored or discouraged, jump onto another part and start there. Eventually you should be able to connect all the routes together and come up with a finished product. Don't' forget to walk round for a bit and fix any mistakes or problem areas.

Some path-placements might be based off of building location, while others might be close to PWP's on purpose, so visitors can enjoy walking past them. Keep this in mind when placing patterns down. Maybe you want your path to pass by your gorgeous Bamboo forest, or your expensive Sphinx PWP.

Hope I helped, goodluck!*

I love doing paths and it is one of my favorite parts of Animal Crossing. I laid down rudimentary paths my first night with the game (and then later substituted prettier designs). You know you will want a path to go to the mall, right? At least, I would. A lot depends on your town layout. I chose a layout with Re-Tail next to the ramp to the dock, and then put my house very near Re-Tail, too. So, my first and most important path was a long straight north to south path, from the mall/train station area to Re-Tail/dock/house. In my layout, that path also passes my Town Hall. This was one reason why I chose my layout in the first place.

Then after I had time to place bridges, I connected that main path with other, minor paths to the bridges, and laid down other more minor paths like a path to the second ramp to the beach.

My personal choice is to try to lay down a path that is a "straight shot" from north to south across most of the town, because I can run on a long path like that more easily. I was very annoyed with the layout of my first town, because I could not do that.

Last edited:
I started my paths with a through street north and south, and a through street east and west. Then, I branched out my secondary streets from those to create blocks. I dunno, sometimes I go in and just change them all up, but the two thoroughfares never change. (I took that from my city I live in because we're set up on a grid system that works really well.)
Here, you can come see mine if you'd like: 5900-2474-3749

Last edited:
Nothing will ever line up perfectly, keep that in mind. What I do is create a little box around each door, like this

l l__l l
_____

If that makes any sense, it looks pretty good to me. I started at my train station and works a path to each major area, went to plaza, then retail, and houses.

Its also annoying how it doesn't start right infront of you house, either to the left of right.

The way I got around that was to lay my paths horizontally instead of vertically, if that makes sense. I've attached some pictures under the spoiler so that you can hopefully see what I mean:

ex001.jpg
ex002.jpg
ex003.jpg

I usually start my paths from the bulletin board then work my way to villager houses/other buildings and work my flower, tree and PWP arrangement on the way.

I started at my house as this is where the game opens up each day and over the first month figured out the routes I took most and gradually covered those. I have a one square path and the main routes (to major buildings and PWPs) have a double row of them and the minor paths (to villagers houses and small PWPs) are one square wide.

I also only put paths to PWPs if they're fairly close to where I have a path running anyway or if they're major-e.g. the Roost. Other PWPs since the paths have been built around the paths i.e a bench beside the path or a street lamp on the corner!

Back