• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Why I am distancing myself from the fandom...

Leer

Knight of Light
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
So yeah. Before the game released, I was super excited to be a part of the fandom, on here and other places.
But wow, that just didn't happen. :/
The majority of people who focus on getting villagers just threw me off. IDK. I mean, I get wanting to have cute villagers but? I would find it too boring to have like. Planned villagers. For me, the transient friendships in AC are the best part...

Honestly the only time I would trade a villager is if someone wanted to pay bells for one that was already moving out of my town. I always need bells. It sounds terrible, but otherwise I'd just let them move out.

So what's your take? Is the fandom driving you away, and if so why?

They aren't driving me away, but I...just don't get it? I THOUGHT about dream villagers before the game came out and I could only think of one, Kiki, and that was only because she was my favorite throughout my other 3 games. All my other "permanent" villagers were random move-ins (or in Merengue's case, a starter) and I kinda like it that way. Sure, there are villagers I'd LOVE to have in my town, but I'm not breaking my back to get them. I like to make friends with all the villagers and get their pictures, and if I come across one I fall in love with, then so be it!

I don't understand it, but I don't let it bother me, either. If people want to do it, I don't care. I won't BUY a favorite villager, but I'll be thrilled if I randomly get him or her :) As annoying as the random house placement is, it's still part of the fun for me to see who moves in next. That being said, I don't mind selling one of my villagers if someone really wants them and I don't, but it would be when they were already moving. I'd love to hit that 100M mark. LOL

i agree! not much on the point of driving me away though

honestly, when the game was going to be released everyone seemed so excited about everything in it, but a lot of what i see is people focusing on getting villagers.

like, i get wanting to have someone, and it's your game and all, but paying literally millions of bells to get them or buying an extra cartrige just to make a town where you cycle the villagers seems kind of excessive to me

it's also one of the only parts of the fandom where i've seen people get upset, which is what bothers me the most honestly. it just feels wrong to see people get so worked up because of such an easygoing game

I mean, some of them are annoying, but not all of them. I kinda don't like when people completely give up on the game because they were outbidded or something. It's not the end of the world.
Sure I have a few villagers I want, but I'd really love to meet new ones which is why Hippeux hasn't left yet. I like Phoebe, Maple, Peanut, Eugene, Carmen, Hamlet (probably giving up on him), Truffles, and Fang/Chief/Wolfgang [Cranky Wolves, lol], but I don't plan out all of that. As long as they weren't a surprise.
But to defend people who choose their villagers, it's because they have some sort of reason. They had Kitty in the GCN and WW, so they want her in NL. Some people had Bob in all the past ACs, so they want Bob in this one.
But I understand what you're saying. v_v

I'm glad TBT has become a good resource for trading villagers, but it's so annoying how a majority of the forum revolves around selling and obtaining "dreamies." It's so ridiculous and out of control... I attempted to obtain all the cute villagers I wanted for a month, and the month was the worst AC gameplay experience I ever had.

I think it's funny how the people who complain about players duplicating bells are the same people selling villagers to people giving them 30+ million bells that were duped.

"I was TTing and _______ is now in boxes... I'm sad... but I'll sell him/her for millions..." Really?

Last edited:
im kinda in the fandom on tumblr i mean i have an ac blog and everything, but i dont talk much
idk? i mean i like some stuff but im just not into talking about it all the time.
i would love to play casually with other people in the fandom but that isnt gonna happen

Only thing that annoys me is when people get a bunch of dreamies thanks to the community and then just reset shortly after... :p I like getting dreamies myself, gives me a goal but I have other plans too... but anyway to answer the topic question, no not really. I have freedom to click on any topic I want and if I don't want to see dreamy threads I just don't go to its subforum in retail... Then I don't really hear about it that much. =S

Honestly, I hate the whole concept of selling villagers. Giveaways, absolutely! Trading, fine. But selling them for tens of millions of bells? Nope.

You know, I understand your point. It seems like people are taking the whole dream villager thing too far. I mean I just casually want a few villagers like cubs but I'm not going to be spending millions of bells on them?? Like I see that most people just focus on that when there are a lot of other things to do in the game. What are you supposed to do once you get all your dream villagers anyway? Just talk to them until you get bored with them and feel like trading them off again? All the characters of their own personality act the same anyway..
I'm not really thinking much of any fandom stuff but I just play the game for fun..

Someone really nice gave me my most dream villager for free. There are so many people like that, and it's so nice to see.
I don't really agree with selling your villagers, however. But, it's your game, and I respect that :)
This sounds really weird.. But if I ever decided to let my marshal move out, id probably just give him away.. Lol

i know what you mean.
and since everyone pretty much likes the same villagers
that just creates less diversity between peoples' towns.

its nothing i really care about anyway.

Last edited:
Someone really nice gave me my most dream villager for free. There are so many people like that, and it's so nice to see.
I don't really agree with selling your villagers, however. But, it's your game, and I respect that :)
This sounds really weird.. But if I ever decided to let my marshal move out, id probably just give him away.. Lol
Prepare for plenty of private messages saying, "May I reserve Marshal?" lol

All my villagers were given to me for free or I got them on my own. None of them were traded for or paid for. Almost done getting my "dream town".
All it takes is patience.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly, I hate the whole concept of selling villagers. Giveaways, absolutely! Trading, fine. But selling them for tens of millions of bells? Nope.

Giveaways and trading are fine. I agree with this.

I pretty much avoid the fandom. They just...complain. All the time, about everything. Everything is about "Dreamies", "Perfection", and resetting.

I'm not going to tell people how to play the game but, geez, I don't see how getting everything you want in a game is supposed to be fun. Especially a life simulator.

I appreciate the forums for the amount of information they've provided for me, plus its nice to be able to share things like QR Codes, and Dream Addresses. Overall, being here has improved my experience with the game :)

the dramas just drama. drama everywhere. at least animal crossing drama can be more entertaining than like celeb gossip drama!!

I have a dream villager list but I am not searching for them.
I want to see many different villagers come to my town and leave and when someone I really like moves in I will never let them go.
Tangy and Lucky were actually two of my starting villagers. I love that they are unusual. (a fruit cat and a mummy dog)
I knew Lucky in Wild World and I never met Tangy before New Leaf but wanted to.

I actively tend to stay away from most of the fandom (or any fandom of things I enjoy), especially on Tumblr because lately at least there's a lot of drama. For really stupid and petty things. All I do there is look at villager adoption blogs to see if Beardo or Nate pop up for my fiance/friend, because their nicknames are Beardo and Nate respectively. Instead I find people being nasty to each other over a friggin' squirrel or unicorn.

I don't particularly care who comes to my town as there's no villager I dislike and it's always cool to see who you're gonna get. However I fell in love with Pietro, and I was lucky enough to have someone give him to me for absolutely free. Before they contacted me I was about to bite the bullet and pay someone who HATED him 2 million bells and items from the Exotic set. I... wat? I would understand if they were hesitant and needed money, but if you hate a dude why make someone who loves them pay exorbitant amounts of money? :T I let a bunch of people come get villagers of mine for nothing, because they were just so happy that they were gonna have them.

I don't get it either.
I do have favourite villagers... Even dream villagers that I'd love to have in my town forever, but there are sooo many I like that a dream town just would not work for me.
And I hate that whole selling and buying villager-thing. I'd never want bells for a villager. I mean I'm either letting them go because I didn't like them, so I'm happy they can move to a better town OR I liked them but wanted space for another new villager, so it's cool they don't go into the void.
Plus I can make someone happy by giving them their favourite villager.
Why would I need bells for that?
That's just my point though. I mean it's fine if others want something in return, as well, but... 7 mio. bells?

I'm the same. I have some villagers that I really like having, but planning out all ten of my villagers and having to make sure none of them move out is just ridiculous.

I LIKE that some of my villagers move out. It makes the game have that little bit of freshness to it. The game is extremely boring to me at this point, and new villagers are really all that are going to keep my really interested in it.

Back