• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Why I am distancing myself from the fandom...

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people buying villagers. If you want to waste spend your bells on a villager I have, by all means, do it XD

Distance from the fandom? Just avoid the Retail board altogether and head to Brewsters :)

Hmm... the only part of the fandom I don't like is the selling/buying/trading part. Many people vie for one villager. Many bells spent. Scams. Getting sad for not winning a villager.

I'm not against it, but I don't like it at the same time. It pretty much makes me want to turn tail and never come back lol.

But I stick around because the game is fun, I enjoy it with my kid sister, and meet nice people. :)

Honestly, I hate the whole concept of selling villagers. Giveaways, absolutely! Trading, fine. But selling them for tens of millions of bells? Nope.

This. I won't buy them and I'm not gonna sell them either. Whenever mine move, I will just let someone come and take them as part of a giveaway. In fact, one is moving soon... *cough*

Now I imagine I'm gonna have the dreamie people PM me and ask who's moving and when... LOL! (Not doing a reserve, people. I'll randomly have a giveaway when said person is in boxes. Not worth asking now, not telling.)

There's plenty of people here that trade items or beautify their town/house or just have fun. I realized that with a recent thread that I made with a poll concerning this topic. The dreamie people are just rather vocal about their interest in dreamie collecting, and even have signatures mentioning dreamie collecting, so it feels like they're talking about it even in non-related posts.

I suppose the only thing I do not understand is how most of these dream villager seekers are time-traveling. They'll most likely always have a spot for their "dreamie" so it won't take them long to get them. For me, I'm not time-traveling. I'm going at a day by day, real life pace. Purrl is moving this Sunday so I'll work on getting another dreamie then. But I won't time-travel to do so.

Just as with the TV/films/bands that I like, I try to distance myself from the over-obsessive fans (or Tumblr fangirls, although that is a unisex term). As I posted in the thread about having the same villagers boring, I don't understand how people can obsess over getting a certain set of villagers and never letting them leave. I think it would get boring. Same with decorating the town as quickly as possible. I intend to make this game last as long as possible, without resetting. On that note, why do people reset so everything is perfect? My town makes building things very inconvenient, but I see that as one of the goals of the game.

I just try to keep a distance from people who sell/trade villagers. I don't feel better than them for not doing so, but IMO trading and selling villagers takes away the fun of the game.

Not sure about being part of the fandom or not, but I'm avoiding doing any kind of villager trading for my own town. I don't mind if other people do, but I love being surprised by who shows up in my town. xD
There are definitely villagers I'm going to try to stop from leaving if they ever want to move out, but other than that, I don't want to buy any or anything. Besides selling/giving mine to other people if they want them, since they'd just go into the void otherwise.

The drama can get to be a bit much, but like others have said, I try to stay out of those threads and just stick to things that are more about actual game-play.

The whole buying/selling of villagers doesn't appeal to me in any way, but if others want to do it, it's their game. There have been villagers in previous games I really liked, but I've also met new ones this time around whom I've come to like a lot, too. I may eventually let some move, but it'll be random as to who comes after that. I don't want my town to be too perfect and I like the imperfections that make it lifelike (although, being able to limit where new houses will plunk down would be nice, but I can live with it).

I wouldn't completely pull out, since you can get some good tips, but it might be wise to avoid certain threads and sub-forums if it's going to make you nuts. :)

I kind of regret ever selling or trading villagers. It's kind of took the fun out of friendships for me but I still do it. I've given away most of my villagers, including Rosie, away for free and I feel much better for it. I'll never charge for a villager again, and I'll never buy one.

Back