• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Your view on the "Villager Market"?

I've gotten all of my dream villagers from trading or giveaways. I've sold a couple of villagers before as well, but I usually give them away. I don't mind that there's a villager market in place at all. Without it, it would be a lot harder for me to create a town filled with cats and bunnies. I do think that some people can be greedy in how much they ask for certain villagers, but I don't think that those people are all that common anymore. It seems like more and more people are turning towards giveaways, but I could be wrong about that.

I do have to say that I am so ridiculously incredibly tired of people saying that it's "slave trading" or "like human trafficking." Getting a cute little pixel animal that you will run endless errands for isn't exactly my idea of a slave. That comparison is so offensive, I can't even...

I support it since Nintendo won't let us hit villagers with nets and shove them to encourage them to leave...

As for prices, let people buy them for what they want, but let's stop people specifically asking for "LOL JULIAN GIVE 30 MIL PLS".

Last edited:
If anything I'm their slave (I'm joking of course!). :p I gotta jump over hoops for them... I love them though, as much as I can love pixels that is. I bought Kid Cat and I don't treat him less well than a villager I didn't buy, in fact when he put his fence up I tried to make his house area as pretty as I could for him. Calling it slave trading in a serious way is pretty offensive, but I still don't really care... haters gonna hate and I'll do what I want.

Selling villagers is greedy imo, not to mention unnecessary. The only reason I can see for even wanting millions of bells is to buy rare furniture sets or other villagers. Both of those you can get through trading, or for free or cheap if you just take your time with the game and look in the right communities. And I'm fine taking my time, since otherwise I'd get burned out on the game in a matter of weeks...

The moral argument against villager trading has no weight, and is both offensive and absurd. The systematic abuse, degradation and oppression of our fellow human beings can never be compared to the buying and selling of pixels. Get real.

I've given away villagers, I've traded villagers, but I will never buy or sell them. Why? I can do things just to be helpful or kind. Does it mean I always will? No. I have boundaries, I have bad moods, and some people just get on my nerves with their rudeness so I won't help them. ^ ^ That's how that goes. But if I have a villager who wants to move out, I will always try to find a way to connect them with someone (polite) who wants them, either through a trade, or as a gift.

I just don't think every single aspect of this game needs to be monetized to have value. Plus, earning millions, or even thousands of bells through villager trading would keep me from having to actually earn money in game. It would make the game too easy for me, and rob it of its longevity. I'd rather earn most of my money by beetling, playing the turnip market, and selling perfect fruit. I'm not in a hurry at all. So I guess my feelings about the villager market is that I don't participate in the for-profit sector mostly for gameplay reasons. Plus it is often a morass of posturing, melodrama and general butthurt, things that I try to avoid coming into contact with

the people who say villager selling is slavery kinda uh..

slavery is something more cruel. when you're a slave, you're scared for your life. you're sold around to owners who would beat you. you cant compare something like that to villager selling. thats very annoying when people compare slavery to a game.

as for villager selling, i've sold 2 villagers in the beginning. i stopped now and i usually give them away. i see it as adoption y'know. whoever is buying them for so many bells is because they like them. they want them as much as the next person who didnt have bells.

i understand that maybe you have no time to make bells, but is it any different from giveaways? when auctions go on, you can actually have a real chance on getting them. giveaways are cool and all, but you cant do anything to get a greater chance. you might not even win. auctions give you a chance to get them, if youre rich.

mhm i dont really like reserving villagers if theyre not in boxes. ive had many trades go on and the trader who promised me them had forgotten, and they usually change their mind. they give them away, sold them to someone else, or say they wanna keep them. which is okay, but i would prefer is they gave me a heads up about it.

I've never bought nor sold a villager, and don't see the point in doing so. This isn't a game where real money comes into it, like TF2 or Diablo, so I won't be part of some artificial ingame market.

It's gone from giving people some relief of TT'ing endlessly to being a scam 70% of the time.
There was a model kinda like this in Wild World, People would sell the villagers for reasonable prices, like 10,000 Bells.
Now it's about the money instead of the generosity. Sometimes there are good people, but money-hungry people manage to slip in and take the pay for themselves.

It doesn't bother me at all, maybe because I've been playing online games for years where in game stuff gets sold and exchanged all the time, even for real money sometimes, so all the fuss is very perplexing to me. People can do what they like with their villagers, they are just a bunch of 0's and 1's, cute 0's and 1's, but 0's and 1's nonetheless.

It's gone from giving people some relief of TT'ing endlessly to being a scam 70% of the time.
There was a model kinda like this in Wild World, People would sell the villagers for reasonable prices, like 10,000 Bells.
Now it's about the money instead of the generosity. Sometimes there are good people, but money-hungry people manage to slip in and take the pay for themselves.

Well in ACNL, it's insanely easy to make money. 10,000 is a price of a single beetle on the island. It screws the seller over who might have to TT for hours to get a villager out and risk other villagers to move, and the buyer gets away with it by giving a beetle that took less than 5 seconds to catch.

Thus I'm not surprised about the prices at all. I don't really participate in the Villager Trading market because I don't TT, so it might take weeks/months until someone specifically in my town moves out. But I have seen my friends hardcore TTing to get a villager to move, so I don't blame them if they ask for a lot because they could have spent the time hunting beetles.

I don't really care so much about the fact that people discuss it as I do the fact that it takes up practically the entirety of the activity stream. Haha, I just wish there were a way to make it so I didn't have to see it all the time.

It once took me 6 (yes, 6) hours to get Ankha out for someone, so no, I don't think 10k would be a fair price for that effort at all.

And if you've been scammed 70% of the time, I think you need to find a new site/sellers.

I don't care at all honestly. People are free to play the game as they want and it has been like this since the first Animal Crossing was released. If you want to trade villagers, go ahead. I won't judge you if you do. I won't judge you if you don't.

Even if I wanted to be against it, I cannot find a logical reason to be. "Morals" such as "it's wrong to trade villagers" don't really apply because deep within villagers are just ones and zeroes. They have no feelings or consciousness.

So yup, I cannot think of a reason to be against it ^^.

It once took me 6 (yes, 6) hours to get Ankha out for someone, so no, I don't think 10k would be a fair price for that effort at all.

And if you've been scammed 70% of the time, I think you need to find a new site/sellers.
New site?
NEVER. D:L
New sellers?
Probably

I honestly do not care too much either way. I do not get into buying and selling, enjoying who is coming the next day makes the game more interesting for me. I do offer the ones that are moving if someone wants them (so far, no one has wanted, but that could be because I am not an active poster, although I am an active reader). I do not TT for any of them to leave, so there is not the stress of that either.

I would personally find the whole thing stressful if I didn't play the way I do. Other's find more enjoyment in their play methods and I won't say anything bad about it...it just isn't for me.

To be honest, I don't like the idea. I'm not one of those extreme *******s who say "OH ANYONE WHO SELLS AND BUYS VILLAGERS IS A TERRIBLE PERSON!! SCUM!!!" because that, to me, is extremely rude and uncalled for.

Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't mean I need to hate on those who do it. After all, I've gotten my fair amount of **** from time traveling; so I can totally sympathize with those who are "bullied" for doing other "questionable" things, like buying/selling villagers.

I could care less what people do, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would shut up, play the damn game, and mind their own business about it.

I dislike how it drives prices up. I have not paid for a single one of my dreamies to date (partially because I can't afford it).

I don't have a problem with people selling/trading villagers. I don't participate in it (or trading at all really), but that's because 1) it's too stressful for me and 2) I like achieving things on my own when I can (even if takes forever). If it enhances someone else's New Leaf experience, all the power to 'em.

Back