Welcome to Island Journals

Hello! Was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me whether or not the island name, hemisphere, native fruit and native flower info that you're supposed to input when making an island journal is editable after the thread has been made?

Hello! Was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me whether or not the island name, hemisphere, native fruit and native flower info that you're supposed to input when making an island journal is editable after the thread has been made?
Just tried it on my own thread, you can!

Use the button with three dots on the top of the page, next to the watch/unwatch button. It allows you to choose 'edit thread', and you can change what you put in :)

@Tinkeringbell Thank you very much for checking for me! I was debating between setting up my island journal now in preparation but didn't want to do that if it meant I couldn't edit the info.

I believe the bell losses with journal edits happen because of the way edits work. When you edit a post, it first takes away the bells you originally earned for the post, then gives you back the amount of bells that the post is worth after the edit. So: If your post is longer after the edit, you get more bells back than the amount that was taken, and if the post is edited to be shorter you get fewer bells returned and you'll end up losing a few.

So far so good, right? That sounds fair. But: You can only get bells from your island journal 24 hours after your last post.

This means that if you make a post to your island journal, and if you then go to edit another post, it seems to take away the amount of bells that the post was originally worth (like it should) but it fails to give you back the new amount (because you already made a post and got bells in the last 24 hours).

The workaround: if you care about your bells, wait 24 hours after your last post to make the edit. It seems to have worked for me so far.

Also: I've also edited a whole bunch of posts in my island journal quickly after another, I think the bell loss happens only once. Maybe you can only lose bells every 24 hours too? Either way the system seems to be a bit broken.

@Dunquixote Feel free to point the staff to this post in your CTS thread as a possible cause. :)

I'm also tagging @Livia and @Tinkeringbell because they may want to know.

That makes sense. I lost my bells when I was editing a post about villager hunting. I was making a list of who I was finding, and editing it as I went along.

I believe the bell losses with journal edits happen because of the way edits work. When you edit a post, it first takes away the bells you originally earned for the post, then gives you back the amount of bells that the post is worth after the edit. So: If your post is longer after the edit, you get more bells back than the amount that was taken, and if the post is edited to be shorter you get fewer bells returned and you'll end up losing a few.

So far so good, right? That sounds fair. But: You can only get bells from your island journal 24 hours after your last post.

This means that if you make a post to your island journal, and if you then go to edit another post, it seems to take away the amount of bells that the post was originally worth (like it should) but it fails to give you back the new amount (because you already made a post and got bells in the last 24 hours).

The workaround: if you care about your bells, wait 24 hours after your last post to make the edit. It seems to have worked for me so far.

Also: I've also edited a whole bunch of posts in my island journal quickly after another, I think the bell loss happens only once. Maybe you can only lose bells every 24 hours too? Either way the system seems to be a bit broken.

@Dunquixote Feel free to point the staff to this post in your CTS thread as a possible cause. :)

I suspected as much after reading about how bells on this thread work, yeah. But then there are messages in this thread that say it's not supposed to take back bells after editing so... I want those bells back XD No use in having an island journal without them! :ROFLMAO:

I answered @Dunquixote's question concerning this via their CTS thread last week. You've hit the nail on the head as to why it is happening; the thing is that it probably shouldn't be! It has already been raised to the database admin for investigation. Thanks for providing a workaround in the meantime. :)

Thanks so much for posting the workaround and also for explaining the bell losses; that is extremely helpful to know 🙂. @Vrisnem told me about why the bell loss was happening past week; I should’ve updated here about it, but I am bit embarrassed to say that I didn’t think of that and was going to update if I found out the problem was being fixed (i should’ve at least updated it to say it is being looked at; so sorry everyone who was waiting ><.).

I answered @Dunquixote's question concerning this via their CTS thread last week. You've hit the nail on the head as to why it is happening; the thing is that it probably shouldn't be! It has already been raised to the database admin for investigation. Thanks for providing a workaround in the meantime. :)

Alright, thanks! It definitely shouldn't be this way, but it's manageable. Glad to hear it's being looked at. :)

Thanks so much for posting the workaround and also for explaining the bell losses; that is extremely helpful to know 🙂. @Vrisnem told me about why the bell loss was happening past week; I should’ve updated here about it, but I am bit embarrassed to say that I didn’t think of that and was going to update if I found out the problem was being fixed (i should’ve at least updated it to say it is being looked at; so sorry everyone who was waiting ><.).

Don't worry about it! I have a similar guilty feeling actually, I experimented with the odd editing behaviour a few months ago and never ended up reporting it/warning people that their bells were at risk, I probably should have 😅

i love this! i just see that u lose bells for editing ur posts which is kinda sad if someone wants to keep all their info on the one post instead of doing it thru replies ( i think that’s how it works )

I lost bells from editing my journal again. I edited the post right after I made it and it took the bells away from me

Is there an Island Journal equivalent for New Leaf? I was poking around on that section but couldn't tell! It might seem a little silly but I don't want to start a thread for my New Horizon's town since I've been playing since launch but I am going to be starting a game of New Leaf in January and thought it would be fun to have a little journal for that save!

Can we please get the option to edit our journal posts without losing bells? I make a lot of dumb typos and errors that I only notice right after I click post, but I have to wait until tomorrow to edit it or else I lose bells.

Would it be appropriate to use my journal as a means of story telling based on my island or is it only to log day to day activities? Like is there a strict rule about how we use our journals?

Last edited:
Hello I'm nervous to start my journal could someone give me like a template or idea I'd like to start one but I'm really bad at this stuff!

Is there any time limit before we post again in our journals or how many posts we make a day?

Back