• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

ACNH unpopular opinions?

I don't care about villager/npc dialog. Sure the first few months of playing I liked reading some of the jokes and cute stories, but overall I just don't really care.
IRL i dont like talking to people all the time, same as in game.

And I'm not saying the dialog is bad, even if it was the best dialog ever i wouldn't care. Like when I play stardew I never put any effort in getting to now the villagers better, unless I need to to make the game move forward.

Imo talking/reading is overrated in this game.

• Jock is the best personality type.
• I don’t care about house interior. Villagers have the right to express themselves. If Goldie wants a bonfire in her living room, I support her 100%.
• I don’t care about completing the museum. I donate at my own leisure instead of stressing out to find missing fossils, fish, bugs, or paintings.

Unpopular Opinion: From my experience in New Leaf, although I haven’t had him yet in New Horizons (due to not having as many game copies), Rodney is an excellent villager.

IMO making the graphics more realistic was a major mistake and the worst thing to ever happen to AC. I sound dramatic but it’s so so sad we can’t go back to something like PC’s or the graphics pictured above, I just feel like Nintendo ripped away everything fun and playful about AC graphics.
Yes I completely agree! I don't know what it is about this entry, but it feels more artificial and the furniture looks like doll house sets toys, plastic almost. It would be more fitting if they kept the colorful, bright graphics they had before but this one makes it almost uncanny valley in a way that doesn't fit AC as a franchise if you get me. I totally see where you are coming from. We also notice they want to go for a more realistic tone with the furniture sets... there's no whimsical or playful ones, just IKEA inspired ones, which takes charm away imo.

I agree with your statements partially. I like the New Leaf graphics. I think the realistic tone works for some furnitures, but that’s all there is. I hate that the kiddie set was removed, along with a bunch of other sets. It seems that all there is now are realistic looking items. My personal favorite was the modern set, which was also removed. It’s too much like real life. Even the villagers look like humans in animal suits, more specifically the dogs and cats.

Club Tortimer is lowest on my list of things I want to come to the game. I don't like playing online with random people. If I'm going to play with people, I'd rather play with someone I can talk to on a voice chat. The minigames were fine, but I only really liked the hide and seek one. The others all felt very tedious to me and it was very annoying to me to get enough medals for the items.

I see why people want it and loved it, but I'd rather have something completely new than Club Tortimer.

Il join in with my opinions;

- I loved isabelle so much in New Leaf and truly think she was one of the best additions to tne AC franchise but i dont believe they thought out a actual role for her in New Horizons and i dont think she should of been added to the game as a main character, maybe a recurring special character? Or even maybe not at all?

-The dialogue system for the animals personalities is shocking to say the least, i like a certain personality on my island as every time i speak to 5+ of my animals i am guaranteed to get the same text from them daily, it infuriates me.

-The hatred for tom nook’s character confusing. The man gives you somewhere to live in every single title of the AC franchise and you get the chance to pay it back over time with no interest, and he is the bad guy? If it was anything like real life he would be hated more than he is now.

-The Nook Miles ticket system is not fit for purpose, how can a ticket which only gets you a single trip to a nook island be worth more than bells which can but absolutely anything?

I think il stop here or il be typing all day😂

I don't care about villager/npc dialog. Sure the first few months of playing I liked reading some of the jokes and cute stories, but overall I just don't really care.
IRL i dont like talking to people all the time, same as in game.

And I'm not saying the dialog is bad, even if it was the best dialog ever i wouldn't care. Like when I play stardew I never put any effort in getting to now the villagers better, unless I need to to make the game move forward.

Imo talking/reading is overrated in this game.
As an Introvert myself I can relate to not wanting to talk to a lot of people myself. I will agree that the NPC dialogue in this game is pretty repetitive. The most annoying one is both Isabelle and Orville. I mean how many times do I have to hear Isabelle talk about her annoying TV Shows, Her Sock, and of course asking ridiculous questions? If there was an option to "Skip" the announcements I would welcome that.

As for Orville I mean the guy never shuts up. He just asks the same questions of "Where you want to fly?" "Do you want to fly local or online?" "How do you want to travel?" "Is this where you want to go?" I mean seriously he really never stops asking these questions whenever you want to visit someone. If there was an option to say "I wanna go somewhere via dodo code" this would cut back so much of this dialogue.

- I think that Judy looks honestly creepy.
- I prefer Turkey Day & Toy Day to Halloween.

- Some of the villager dialogue is absolutely wonderful, particularly with the Lazy villagers (though I will agree that there needs to be more, and that it'd be nice if they were more varied).

- I think that there should be LESS of an ability to customize every single little aspect of the game, not more. I was not really a fan of terraforming in the beginning -- it felt a little too much like godmodding. It's fine now, and I'll use it myself, but I think that being able to control every last aspect of the game makes it more of a home decor game and less of an immersive, fun little place to go escape. ACNH loses its charm when you can control, edit, and fix every little detail -- especially when you can do this without any sort of struggle or any sort of hard work. I think that it's good that you have to go through all the bureaucracy and dialogue in the airport for instance, I don't think you should be able to customize villager's houses, et cetera.

Last edited:
Since a lot of people are saying that they don't care about other people not wanting more buildings...
I guess it counts as an unpopular opinion to say that I don't care about those who want more buildings. I dont have room for it.
And no, I have no interest at all in redesigning my island. I spent over a year tweeking and perfecting it. I see no reason why I should want to ruin that. I'm very happy with what I made.
And believe it or not, I'm not screaming saying there is nothing to do in this game.
There is just as much to do in this game as any other animal crossing game minus minigames.

Since a lot of people are saying that they don't care about other people not wanting more buildings...
I guess it counts as an unpopular opinion to say that I don't care about those who want more buildings. I dont have room for it.
And no, I have no interest at all in redesigning my island. I spent over a year tweeking and perfecting it. I see no reason why I should want to ruin that. I'm very happy with what I made.
And believe it or not, I'm not screaming saying there is nothing to do in this game.
There is just as much to do in this game as any other animal crossing game minus minigames.
I think I'm maybe 30% done with designing my island layout? lol

Seriously, designing the layout in this game is a pain (especially if you get unlucky and have a crappy island shape with two rivers running down each side of the island, such that even if you remove those rivers, the edge of the rivers at the bottom still sticks out since you can't terraform the outside and the edge of your island). If having more buildings will stifle my progress, no thank you indeed. I don't even think I have enough space for all my villagers' homes. You wanna give me more buildings? Give me more room on the island. Let me expand the island.

It's honestly a give-and-take situation. I'll take it if you'll give it.

This is why I think if we did by some miracle get new buildings they should be optional. I would love more buildings but would feel bad for anyone who doesn’t want them for whatever reason. So say Leif got his own building you would have options. He could either have his own shop, be part of nook’s or just continue visiting,

This is why I think if we did by some miracle get new buildings they should be optional. I would love more buildings but would feel bad for anyone who doesn’t want them for whatever reason. So say Leif got his own building you would have options. He could either have his own shop, be part of nook’s or just continue visiting,
I do wish they would do it this way as it would satisfy everyone.
But I can totally see why they wouldn't.
It would be quite the increase in their workload.
They would need to design the exterior of the buildings.
And if you take the Roost for example, they had to change the inside of the museum. And the entrance is sideways. But buildings can't be sideways. Which means they would have to make 2 different versions of the Roost.
Its a shame, but I do get it.

(Side note, can leif please join the nooks, I hate having to wait for him to visit in order to get the in season bushes. Please and thank you nintendo XD)

I do wish they would do it this way as it would satisfy everyone.
But I can totally see why they wouldn't.
It would be quite the increase in their workload.
They would need to design the exterior of the buildings.
And if you take the Roost for example, they had to change the inside of the museum. And the entrance is sideways. But buildings can't be sideways. Which means they would have to make 2 different versions of the Roost.
Its a shame, but I do get it.

(Side note, can leif please join the nooks, I hate having to wait for him to visit in order to get the in season bushes. Please and thank you nintendo XD)
Yea I don’t know how much work it would be to do it that way. If it wasn’t to much extra work it be nice since everyone could be happy that way. I’m sure that’s the reason they don’t. Leif in Nook’s would be better then him just visiting. Maybe it could be a good way to bring back the missing houseplants.

• I don’t care about house interior. Villagers have the right to express themselves. If Goldie wants a bonfire in her living room, I support her 100%.

me neither! i can definitely see why some people care about it and want the ability to modify villager interiors, but a villager not being 100% original has never bothered me. all of my villagers wind up with random critters, clothes and items in their houses, and i like it that way because it adds character and gives them a sense of uniqueness imo, if that makes sense. :’)

Here’s my unpopular opinion

Two south river mouths is the best
I hate how unbalanced the other exit types feel xD

I've posted in the General AC Discussion unpopular opinions, now it's time to do some NH-specific unpopular opinions! (although I'm going to end up reiterating some things I've said in that thread anyway)
  • I ultimately think giving us the ability to decorate EVERYWHERE has led to a lot of people going "hmm, what if I made a borderline un-traversable and lag-inducing mess, but called it xcore to distract from the fact that this is in reality a really horrible maze that realistically, would be hell to live in?" rather than using it to enhance the "chill forest village in the middle of nowhere" theme the game already has. In addition, the game doesn't have complex enough villager AIs for them to interact with the elaborate pieces of nothing that people build, so I just end up going "Yes, you made a library outside, but why? Yes, you made a building that nobody can actually use, but why?" To be fair, I wasn't impressed with people doing this in Wild World and have steadily gotten grouchier about it since New Leaf, but whenever I go onto a random dream with Luna for inspiration I'm immensely disappointed that I don't get anything other than just "oh look, it's another island I can barely move around with the same 10 villagers, yay!"
  • The soundtrack, after my initial disappointment that it didn't have enough instrument variation, has really grown on me over the past 18 months, especially after I bought the CD and took a few walks to listen to it. I do still have a few gripes with it, like the weakest tracks being in the late afternoon (4pm, which is just "kinda OK", and 6pm, which isn't as funky/r&b inspired as the GC/WW versions), some of the event music rearrangements being a bit meh (Bunny Day especially, which gets rid of the weird synth blorps in favour of doing it with horns, which isn't as good as the LGTTC/NL arrangement imo) and the fact that there's SO. MANY. VARIATIONS. of the prequel music... but it's overall a good soundtrack. Totaka and co have done very well here, and I look forward to buying a second volume at some point!
  • I'm also going to go "hey, you know that NH dialogue? That's good, that is!" While no, there's not really much for you people who exclusively want villagers to amusingly verbally abuse you, there's lots of nice stuff about cranky villagers enjoying a random beverage after a bath (like the twilight lemonade bit in WW), normal villagers being paranoid about their parents visiting when the place is a mess, and sisterly villagers talking about their school days and how the neighbour's kid looks up to them that much, they'll even eat their burnt train-wreck of a meal. It's not perfect, there's still a load of stuff that runs out far too soon, nothing that reflects what the villager's hobbies are or "hey, this donut is nice" and a lot of conversation about stuff I've done yesterday and how I've decorated the place... but on average, it's reminiscent of the nicest bits from NL's dialogue rather than reminding you of the worst of it.
  • I don't think Kicks and Leif should get merged into Nook's Cranny/the Able Sisters. The entire point of them is they sell stuff that these shops don't, like Redd but without the sus factor, and having them just stand around in these other shops selling these things defeats their entire point. If they're going to get their own shops at some point, give them their own ones (on another island), don't just go "well, that was in New Leaf, surely it should just happen again the exact same way?" We're (sorta) on a console, you can go bigger because of that!
  • I also don't think Isabelle should announce visitors, you should be able to craft from storage or that there should be a Dodo Airlines app. Both of these things are arguably too convenient, in a game that (due to its focus on design) is a bit too convenient for my tastes anyway. Orville just needs a "I see you've made a mistake, why don't we pick up from where we were" feature, you should be able to access your storage from wardrobe items outside, and Isabelle's the wrong dog for the task of telling you who's here today, because the right one likes aerobics classes on summer mornings to the music of K.K. Slider, and dislikes Gracie and her car.

everyone seems to want the ability to have more villager plots on their island but i have really have no desire for it.

Back