• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

ACNL block sizes

JCnator

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
4227-4179-8894
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Poptart Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cake
Wondering on how many blocks Animal Crossing: New Leaf will take in your region? Well, look no further than here!

American version : 6,000 blocks
European version : 6,336 blocks
Japanese version : 5,655 blocks without the v1.1 patch

There you have it. That's a lot of blocks, but the game's enough to take almost 40% of a 2GB SD Card. If you're going to download more retail games, I'll suggest you to grab a better SD Card capacity.
I don't know what the exact filesize of the South Korean version of ACNL is, but I think it'll be closer to how many blocks the Japanese version is.

Sources : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...af_will_need_over_6000_blocks_on_your_sd_card
And of course, my Japanese digital copy of ACNL!

Last edited:
Assuming that AC:NL is the only game that I have on my 2GB SD card, and assuming that I don't put much else on my SD card, will I have issues running the game? I heard that if your card is full or if it's too small that you may run into lag issues. Is that true?

SockHead is amazing, mostly for the SD card he told me about. It's this 16GB one.

I don't have to worry about this.

Not surprised it's gonna take up this much space.

Thanks for the info :D, at the end of the year my 8 Gb SD will be totally full, if not sooner. :p

6000 Blocks?!?!? Holy! I'm going to need a bigger SD card because I only have 2537 open blocks left out of my 2gb card.

I'm not sure what these "blocks" mean or how you convert them or whatever. But do you guys think a new 4gb card will be enough? Should I get one that can hold more?

[...]

I'm not sure what these "blocks" mean or how you convert them or whatever. But do you guys think a new 4gb card will be enough? Should I get one that can hold more?

Each block worth 128 kilobytes, in which each megabyte will worth around 8 blocks. A 4GB SD Card will be enough if you only download a few retail games on it. As I said, aim for a larger capacity SD Card if you're going to download a lot of retail games.

pffffff...... wont even dent my 8 gig card i have some 39,500 blocks

I currently have not downloaded any games from the eshop but I'm planning on downloading NL on it. If I buy a bigger SD card and use it instead of my current one, will anything happen? Will I have to download Nintendo Letterbox again?

The NA file size is 8,192 blocks (1 GB).

Source at the bottom of the page.

That source isn't precise enough, since it uses the outdated information that came earlier than before. The size you showed was in fact an approximate size of the game (though it does tell what size the actual game card will be). That's why I see 8,192 blocks as a myth.

I currently have not downloaded any games from the eshop but I'm planning on downloading NL on it. If I buy a bigger SD card and use it instead of my current one, will anything happen? Will I have to download Nintendo Letterbox again?

Just try copying everything from your old SD card to your new instead. You won't have to redownload anything after doing that.

Sorry, what do you mean by copying?

You put the SD Card on your computer (if you have a SD Card slot on it), then access to it. Drag everything to your computer, put your new SD Card and copy back the files you brought from the old SD Card. Put the new SD Card on your 3DS and voil?, everything will be back, along with extra blocks!

You put the SD Card on your computer (if you have a SD Card slot on it), then access to it. Drag everything to your computer, put your new SD Card and copy back the files you brought from the old SD Card. Put the new SD Card on your 3DS and voil?, everything will be back, along with extra blocks!

Thank you so much and yes my laptop does have a slot for my SD card.

Assuming that AC:NL is the only game that I have on my 2GB SD card, and assuming that I don't put much else on my SD card, will I have issues running the game? I heard that if your card is full or if it's too small that you may run into lag issues. Is that true?

I don't think it's lagging issues, so much as loading issues. You'll definetely be watching the loading animation longer, but mostly cause the default 2GB card is a slower rated speed class. I wouldn't expect the game itself to lag while playing, as long as it properly loads everything in the first place.

I have an 8GB class 6 card, with 38K blocks available, so I'm set for a while.

Why does the UK version have to have the most blocks? ;~;

The most likely reason is that this version is supporting more languages than the North American version. According to eShop, the NA version of ACNL supports English, French and Spanish.

The most likely reason is that this version is supporting more languages than the North American version. According to eShop, the NA version of ACNL supports English, French and Spanish.

I was going to ask the same question. I want to set my 3DS to French and see if they sound any different! (I'll also see if I understand a word they say).

I'm definitely good on space as I have somewhere around 200,000+(?) blocks left on my 32GB SD Card

Back