• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Adult does not automatically equal Mature

Meltd0wn

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Winter Mittens
I have noticed a few threads of "Adults" only wanting other "Adults" as friends or visiting their towns. Which I understand their reasoning, however I would like to point out that Simply because someone is of adult age, does not mean they are automatically trustworthy or even mature. In the past I have had to ban just as many adults from sites I owned or help run, as I did kids. The big difference is most of the kids were just being stupid, or not actually thinking about what they were doing as being mean or wrong. where the adults were purposely behaving with malicious intent. and just for the record, their actions can spread outside of their town. For example, I visited someones town who was an "adult" who never allowed children in his town. Every animal in his town either used cuss-words in its greeting, or cuss-words as a catchphrase, or both. This was fine for visitors to his town who didn't mind this, however one of those neighbors ended up moving to my town, which I had visitors of all ages come to my town, on a daily basis. When I discovered that neighbor was in my town and it was from the offending town, I had to stop allowing visitors to my town until I was able to remove the neighbor.

I guess my bottom line for posting this thread is a warning to those who might forget the basic common sense of the 'title' of this thread, and to watch for the little side effects that can show up.

Cheers everyone and Happy Gaming.

Good point
We should be aware of the people who's town we visit or who visit our towns.
But I guess it's hard to gauge a person from an Internet site.

You can get your residents to change their catchphrases. Go to the town hall and talk to Isabelle across the counter (rather than at the mayor desk). Tell her there is a problem resident and she will ask you if they are saying something offensive, have offensive letters, or offensive clothes (I think those are the choices, anyway).

I'm too afraid to let anybody into my town, of any age. ._.; I'd really like friends, but you just don't know who you can trust online, you know? I let one person into my town and was having an anxiety attack the entire time hoping they don't trample/steal flowers or chop down my trees or net my villagers!

Indeed.

Everyone should be wary of who they invite into their game.
It was mentioned in another thread, but I'd like to repeat it here. We, the staff, can't control what happens in your game. It is your own responsibility to make sure you add trustworthy people who won't steal or destroy your things.

You can get your residents to change their catchphrases. Go to the town hall and talk to Isabelle across the counter (rather than at the mayor desk). Tell her there is a problem resident and she will ask you if they are saying something offensive, have offensive letters, or offensive clothes (I think those are the choices, anyway).

Thanks for that info, I am glad Nintendo has given an in game way of dealing with this issue. (I ended up having to hack my ACWW game to fix my earlier problem.)

I add adults closer to my age because I would prefer to play with someone in my range than play with a 7-16 year old. Not really the maturity thing. But that is another factor since its basically impossible to visit my town unless you personally know me and stuff. But it's still up to preference. We also have some 30-40 something year olds on here who don't exactly feel comfortable playing with a much, much younger crowd

Doesn't matter who they are or what their age is. Age doesn't define anything for me. I've played with people a lot younger than I and a few years beyond me. You'll get both good and bad people in both mixes for sure. Regardless, if they're cool -- I'm cool.

Definitely, but really, that's just common sense. It doesn't hurt to try to "filter" what people you're looking for by specifically stating that you'd prefer older gamers. From personal experience, that vast majority of immature behaviour in games stems from those who are young and naive, and haven't yet learned any better. So from that personal experience, I can begin to filter people, and then judge from their behaviour once I interact with them in-game. There's not much else I can do to screen myself from trouble-makers except to be cautious about saving.

I also look out for poor-typing when people ask me to add them - I know it sounds a little pedantic and unfair, but again, I've had the best experiences in-game with people who can express themselves clearly on whatever online medium I've met them on.

There's always going to be people that are malicious and want to cause trouble, of any age. There's not a lot you can do to completely avoid them, you can only act with care and take necessary precautionary measures.

Maybe it's more that they have adult content in their village?

Or that they simply identify with people their age than children?

The best thing you can do is CUT that person from your Friends List afterwards- that is, if you were offended.

I can understand why some folks older than me wouldn't want me to visit their town because of my age because through Club Tortimer, I met one kid who was definitely WAY younger than me, and it felt weird to play AC with him. :/ I just don't want to accidentally say something I shouldn't say to like a 6-year old, you know? I've gotten pretty lucky elsewhere, but for sure, adult doesn't necessarily mean mature. Or sometimes... it can mean TOO mature! O_O

If I were to say that I am an "adult", they'll probably never see the difference.

I'm an adult and I like that there are many people my age playing the game, sure, but I don't mind age at all.
I have 14th year olds in my friendlist. As long as they play nice, I'm game. And just because they're older doesn't mean they're automatically a nice player.

And besides...anyone can lie about their age.

When I think 'adult' player I don't think of maturity; I instead think more of a player who could potentially have a more similar schedule to me. I like to play 9am-12pm - including on weekdays. :)

When I think 'adult' player I don't think of maturity; I instead think more of a player who could potentially have a more similar schedule to me. I like to play 9am-12pm - including on weekdays. :)

This. I also look for people that understand the concept of not being able to play with them 24/7. I work and study plus I'm in a different timezone to most, and many kids really don't grasp that. I ran a Nintendo WiFi community for many years and often found this difficult with a large younger member base.

Adult = Sexually Mature

But only technically speaking. The majority of our overall maturity actually comes from life and life experiences, which is why there are plenty of kids and teens who are far more mature than their adult counterparts.

Adulthood is never a guarantee of maturity, much like adolescence is not a guarantee of immaturity. It all depends entirely on the person.

I prefer to play in my own age range as it's a bit "weird" trying to do stuff in games as a 30 year old, when the person you are chatting to is 7.

Back