• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Named In Violent Games Rundown.... WHAT?!

First they blame guns, then they blame fast food places for making people overweight, now they blame video games, what next? are they gonna start blaming circus clowns?

First they blame guns, then they blame fast food places for making people overweight, now they blame video games, what next? are they gonna start blaming circus clowns?

After circus clowns, next comes hippies, then kittens, then puppies...

Nan told me to hurt people...
Sure, I had to become nan's friend, and wait till she asked me to update her quote, and I had to punch it in. But still outcome was nan saying "hurt people"
I took it to heart...

Now that were on the topic of blaming things, I'm gonna blame MLP FIM, because there too cute!
It's causing me to watch the show in result me not doing any house work!

At least they're not calling Tortimer and Adults who play the games Pedophiles this time right? >>;

It doesn't really matter when someone says something outlandish like this, to me. The majority of people will look at the game, then look at the person flapping their gums, say "You're an idiot" and buy the game for their kids.

There will always be someone complaining about something in the games. Someone will say that its so kiddy that adults who play it are probably pedophiles. Someone will say the game makers are irresponsible if they come across a villager whom their child has forced to swear or say something they find offensive. Someone will blast the games claiming they teach bestiality (hello, Valentine's Day~). Heck, I'm sure there's someone who'll say the game is satanic simply because Katrina is in the game and that they have witch costumes and it celebrates Halloween. But these people are not the majority and the ones with common sense will ignore this sort of thing and actually look at the game for themselves.

This time? you mean people actually said that before?

Sadly, yes. In 2009 a police officer (right here in Missouri!) ::smacks forehead:: said that there was "no good reason" for adults to play Animal Crossing, and he was warning parents that because the game encourages player interaction and exchanging presents, etc., that they should be on the lookout for pedophiles.

This article is the most balanced report I could find about why he said it - apparently some kids had been contacted by creeps, so they were warning parents about it.

I wish parents would take more initiative to understand how gaming works, so they would know about friend codes and other ways their kids can communicate with other players. Then they can have informed discussions about how to stay safe, but not overreact out of fear.

They aren't saying that Animal Crossing is a violent game here though? Nor is it a list of the most violent games. What they are doing is comparing the top 50 selling games of 2012 with each other, their ratings and violence. I might be wrong but thats how I understood it.

It's the Guardian aka Progressive trash.

Liberal newspapers for the win, thank you very much. And need I remind you that it tends to be the conservatives that blame video games/media for gun violence? I am not turning this thread into a debate, so if you would like to continue this then please private message me.

Hahaha! I'd heard about the City Folk paranoia before but never seen the report on it. What a load of cow poo. :p And there again... blame everyone but yourselves for not watching and teaching your kids. That's why you're called a PARENT. You're supposed to be PARENTING. By all means, take down the sickos, but don't lump every adult who plays games you see a childish as weirdoes.

There is a lot more comic mischief on PBS Kids... Kids all over watch PBS. Kids starting at the age of 1

Heck, look at Arthur! They have the title character punching DW over a broken model plane at one point, the kids are cursing like sailors in another episode, the Tibble Twins made an actual pitfall by baiting a cupcake onto it... (What? I'm NOT kidding!)

The only (verbal) violence to be worried about in AC is Resetti's wrath! :rolleyes:

IMO, AC isn't even like Mario, Kirby, Pokemon and other E/E10+ games with cartoon violence. Children who can't read probably wouldn't find AC fun. I think everyone would agree it's perfectly fine for anyone above that age. How is hitting someone with a axe/hammer and other acts of "violence" in the game any different than smashing birds into pigs or creating chaos in Scribblenauts? Just a few examples.

I'd still argue playing extremely violent games can have a negative affect, especially when you're addicted and idiot parents let their babies (it happens!) and young children to be exposed to violent games (same goes for TV). Either the parents think it's OK or they don't pay any mind. Still, in the end, it's up to the parents AND your grownbuttself to take proper action. Video games aren't to blame for your poor life choices.

Back to AC: I could see Katrina, Redd, and Lyle being a problem for some people. Bestiality? It's to be expected. Wi-Fi and QR code features can surely worry some parents. Using your axe+imagination to murder the innocent? Golly! Purposely running into trees in an act of suicide? Scary stuff. Still, you can take a few minutes out of your day to RESEARCH the game as well as educate your children on the topics.
No big deal.

Back