• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Named In Violent Games Rundown.... WHAT?!

The game won't even let you hit animals with the axe. The net, yeah. But not the axe.

These people have never even taken a beginning psychology class violence from games only causes someone to pick violent solutions to problems from only hours after you play it doesn't change your universal tendency to be violent it quickly fades away and you're no less violent then anyone else. There is 0 link correlation does not equal causation.

Last edited:
The problem with the video game violence argument is that the parents that are complaining about their kids playing violent video games are the ones who aren't paying attention to their kids and raising them improperly in the first place. Of course, the media would never openly say "The parents are to blame!" because they'd have an uproar of titanic proportions.

My parents played games with me and stopped me from playing games they thought were too violent. If more parents actually had an active element in their kids lives, things like this would happen less often. That they published an article including Mario and Animal Crossing?

Sure, lemme just go grab one of my turtles and throw it at someone. That seems logical.

Heck, I'm a fan of turtles, but you don't see me squishing them under my feet! Or tossing them at cars!

There is some mild cartoon violence in the game and parents do need to know that. Even though we may think it harmless, other's may not be comfortable with it for their child and that's their choice.

I think the only people that are effected by violent videos games, are those 9 and under and or people with mental illnesses and disabilities, like autism and such.

Heck, I'm a fan of turtles, but you don't see me squishing them under my feet! Or tossing them at cars!

We have three - they're about 18ish years old now. Some a bit older. I grew up with them (To a point) as much as I grew up with Mario games. NEVER ONCE DID I TRY TO JUMP ON THEM. Just saying. :p

Ultimately, yes, playing games that have violent content kicks in adrenaline and fight or flight mechanisms in our body. SOME studies have shown that violent video games that were played over very long terms caused a change in body chemistry allowing for more adrenaline and the requirements for higher levels of it. But that doesn't change the fact that it's on the parents to teach these kids/teenagers the difference between games and reality, and actually interact with them when they do such things - or better yet, when a game says "M for Mature" and your child is 10, DON'T BUY IT FOR THEM, THEN BLAME THE MAKERS OF THE GAME FOR THE CONTENT.

The game won't even let you hit animals with the axe. The net, yeah. But not the axe.

You can hit other players, though. At least in the past games.

My parents played games with me and stopped me from playing games they thought were too violent. If more parents actually had an active element in their kids lives, things like this would happen less often. That they published an article including Mario and Animal Crossing?

Exactly.

I started gaming when I was six, I believe. My parents always paid attention and sheltered me from violent games. I could play Disney games, Mario games, and whatever family-friendly games they approved of. Pokemon not being one of them. Now that we're much older, my sister and I share GameFly and our mom trusts us on which games we choose to rent. Sheesh, the only T-rated game we've played is Guitar Hero. Because of the way we were raised, we're simply not interested in doing anything
more violent than smooshing Goombas. *shrug*

---

ETA:

I think the only people that are effected by violent videos games, are those 9 and under and or people with mental illnesses and disabilities, like autism and such.

Eh, I disagree.

We have three - they're about 18ish years old now. Some a bit older. I grew up with them (To a point) as much as I grew up with Mario games. NEVER ONCE DID I TRY TO JUMP ON THEM. Just saying. :p

I grew up with Animal Crossing. Do I talk to animals? No...

Ultimately, yes, playing games that have violent content kicks in adrenaline and fight or flight mechanisms in our body. SOME studies have shown that violent video games that were played over very long terms caused a change in body chemistry allowing for more adrenaline and the requirements for higher levels of it. But that doesn't change the fact that it's on the parents to teach these kids/teenagers the difference between games and reality, and actually interact with them when they do such things - or better yet, when a game says "M for Mature" and your child is 10, DON'T BUY IT FOR THEM, THEN BLAME THE MAKERS OF THE GAME FOR THE CONTENT.

You'd think that's common sense, though. Apparently it's not.

Last edited:
i hate, absolutely HATE this whole debate that games cause violence. but they said that rock and roll music caused violence way back when so i guess you cant ever be surprised by the incredible stupidity we all still see and experience on a daily basis.

They aren't saying that Animal Crossing is a violent game here though? Nor is it a list of the most violent games. What they are doing is comparing the top 50 selling games of 2012 with each other, their ratings and violence. I might be wrong but thats how I understood it.

This.

The first line of the article should be read, heck, the short paragraph that compromises of the whole, original article, should be read before we click our caps lock button.

All they said was that Animal Crossing has comic mischief...

You can hit other players, though. At least in the past games.

Exactly.

I started gaming when I was six, I believe. My parents always paid attention and sheltered me from violent games. I could play Disney games, Mario games, and whatever family-friendly games they approved of. Pokemon not being one of them. Now that we're much older, my sister and I share GameFly and our mom trusts us on which games we choose to rent. Sheesh, the only T-rated game we've played is Guitar Hero. Because of the way we were raised, we're simply not interested in doing anything
more violent than smooshing Goombas. *shrug*

I grew up in a computer-oriented family (I'm 24 now, for reference). My original gaming career started at the age of 3 by me getting up at 5am to play Super Mario Bros. on the NES. <3 I think the first "violent" game I played might have been the original Diablo, and I was around 11 or 12 years old. My dad would always have to play a game first before I was allowed to play it. My first shooter was Quake II on the N64, and I played that with my dad. The weapons and monsters were so absurd at times that there was no parallel to real life for me - no attachment. We were given nerf guns and water guns to play with as kids too - how's that worse than a video game that lets you shoot other people? Regardless, I either played games with my parents, or my dad pre-played games to find out whether they were suitable or not. I'm one of the few lucky people in the world to have responsible parents (But boy did I hate them when I was growing up when my friends were watching things like South Park and the like at the age of 12 and I wasn't allowed. :p)

This.

The first line of the article should be read, heck, the short paragraph that compromises of the whole, original article, should be read before we click our caps lock button.

All they said was that Animal Crossing has comic mischief...

WHO'S USING CAPS LOCK??!?!?! NOT I!!!!!!lol

i know i will be flamed at for this but my dad let me first play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare when i was 10 or so. now, i am 13 now and I don't actively think violent thoughts, thinking it would be so cool to take a pistol to someones head, ect ect. He let me play because he figured i was mature enough to be able to handle it and not go "Oooohhh a gun! Let's start a masacre, i will just get points for all my kills!" (i have heard news stories claiming that these games make kids basically think they would just get "points" or "prizes" for killing) I actually really dont have an extreme interest to fire a gun. i have shot airsoft, paintball, ect, and dont really have any interest in doing it again. Games do not make people on edge all the time, wanting to pop a bullet into someones head. i dont think kids should play if they are really immature though because i have seen kids in my grade or younger get all stupid "Ohh its so cool i wanna shoot a gun. i wanna be in the army it will be like call of duty." if your kid is younger than 17, they are smart and mature and wont want to join the army because of their game, let them play. if you see them getting stupid, punish them, and dont let them play anymore.

i know i will be flamed at for this but my dad let me first play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare when i was 10 or so. now, i am 13 now and I don't actively think violent thoughts, thinking it would be so cool to take a pistol to someones head, ect ect. He let me play because he figured i was mature enough to be able to handle it and not go "Oooohhh a gun! Let's start a masacre, i will just get points for all my kills!" (i have heard news stories claiming that these games make kids basically think they would just get "points" or "prizes" for killing) I actually really dont have an extreme interest to fire a gun. i have shot airsoft, paintball, ect, and dont really have any interest in doing it again. Games do not make people on edge all the time, wanting to pop a bullet into someones head. i dont think kids should play if they are really immature though because i have seen kids in my grade or younger get all stupid "Ohh its so cool i wanna shoot a gun. i wanna be in the army it will be like call of duty." if your kid is younger than 17, they are smart and mature and wont want to join the army because of their game, let them play. if you see them getting stupid, punish them, and dont let them play anymore.

That's where the whole parenting thing comes in. Your father saw that you were mature enough to handle the content that game could offer you at that age. Ultimately that's what really matters these days. And no, we wouldn't flame you for that :)

Really, it's all in the hands of the parents. Kids can be exposed to mature video games, but it has to be done with discretion. Such as, if your kids picks on other little kids, you probably shouldn't be giving him something to make him angrier. But if you're kid has a good head on his shoulders, and you are supervising what he's seeing and putting it into context, there should be no problem.

This isn't a black and white issue. Not every kid is the same. Use your head, if you think your kids aren't ready to handle it, then don't give them the game, and then blame it because you didn't use your discretion as a parent. Fact is, some kids are more mature and ready to handle that kind of stuff.

I tried to make AC:CF a violent game, and if I failed (the same kid that reinvented five pin bowling as a contact sport during a school field trip) then believe me, nobody can make it a violent game.

i hate, absolutely HATE this whole debate that games cause violence. but they said that rock and roll music caused violence way back when so i guess you cant ever be surprised by the incredible stupidity we all still see and experience on a daily basis.

It's not stupidity, there have been expansive studies on it. Children imitate what they see, that's how they learn. That doesn't mean they'll become violent, but video games do affect behaviour.

Whether it be Teen/Mature games, R-rated+ movies, inappropriate clothing, body mods, boy/girlfriends
:)rolleyes:), or what have ya, my future children won't have any of the sort until they're adults and making their own life choices. My kids won't live under a rock, but they won't be handed whatever video game they want, either. Regardless of age and maturity. Still, every child and parent is different. Everyone has a different idea of what's appropriate for a child.

Back OT: we should also consider the possible benefits of AC. Money management and now leadership being the big things. Learning the consequences of shaking trees, chasing scorpions, and swimming in jellyfish-infested water is very useful. The consequences of leaving your junk lying around, not caring for your environment, listening to crazy otter philosophers... the risk of visiting fortune tellers and purchasing questionable paintings! AC teaches common sense, man. :confused: Besides that, it can also teach the importance of friendship and might help improve socialization. ...and... your imagination. ;)

Guys I heard that being in the same room as another person could potentially lead to violence.

We should all head into our padded cells and stay away from each other just to be safe.

(Really though the most violent thing in AC is hitting somebody with a bug net.....)

Back