• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Named In Violent Games Rundown.... WHAT?!

"Urgh, no, kids are hitting animals with butterfly nets, oh the horror!"

Even if I hit them with an axe, they just absorb the blow as if they were made from some sort of spongy material

Plus, I think the hammers make squeaky sounds

The article only included Animal Crossing New Leaf because it's one of the top selling games and contains Comic Mischief.

Nobody ever said it was violent. =p

I've been known to throw things across rooms after letting large shark's get away while fishing. Animal crossing may not be a violent game but it sure does bring out the worst in me.

and yeah, this article is silly.

Last edited:
I've been known to throw things across rooms after letting large shark's get away while fishing. Animal crossing may not be a violent game but it sure does bring out the worst in me.

But yeah, this article is silly.

Now I have an image of Gandalf chucking Hobbits across rooms while smoking pipeweed and playing animal crossing. :/

Oh my gosh... How??? AC is nothing like Assassin's Creed. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

And now, the day after this, another UK tabloid (albeit well known for exaggerating things) has decided that a teenager has slashed someone with a knife (he met them while online playing a shoot-em-up type game) because he plays shoot-em-up type games.

Again they mention getting "rewards" for killing opponents...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2318846/13-year-old-Xbox-player-slashed-friends-throat-knife-row-met-online-playing-ultra-violent-game-Gears-War-3.html

Ah, the Daily Fail strikes again!

On the same topic, Kotaku posted about Katie Couric's talk show segment in violent video games and her Twitter appeal asking gamers to justify "the positive side" of violence in video games. Of course, responses were all over the board. Hopefully if they have any journalistic integrity they will include some of the thoughtful responses and none of the inevitable "cuz i liek shooting things lulz" responses.

So it goes...

Oh for ****'s sake. I'm so tired of the games being blamed when these stupid parents can't do their damn job and PARENT. That Brian Docherty guy said that

These games are rated 18 and shouldn’t be played by children of this young age – but online gaming may be outside their parents’ knowledge. We need to look again at what we can do to stop this.

Well the parent's should have made sure that their child wasn't playing this kind of game! They should've made sure he didn't have easy access to a knife. They should have have seen the signs that their child was turning to violent behavior. I mean, as the article says,

his attacker – already a father – faces being locked up when returns to the dock later this month.

This kid is a FATHER. He has his own kid. How is not obvious that it's very clearly his upbringing that raised him this way? But we can't blame the parents in this culture anymore. No, it's the media. It's the video games, it's the rap, or the hip hop, or the metal or rock and roll. We can't blame the parents because we have to blame stuff that the authority figures don't understand, therefore, they have to find some way to demonize it.

I was reading the comments and I read one very interesting thing.

Yeah, because sports games are helping churn out tons of gifted athletes... hahahaha. Again, blaming an inanimate object.

Well. Why don't we have a lot more gifted athletes? Or gifted musicians? With as popular as Guitar Hero and all those sports games are, you would think those would have the same effect. But no. You'll hear the anti-video game people say things about how that doesn't translate to real life, yet somehow violence does. Go figure.

Anti-videogame people will always be ignorant because they will never know what it's like to experience the gaming world. They'll refuse to look beyond their tunnel vision. There's no convincing them they're wrong. They're going to stay ignorant because they don't like games, or because they're just trying to appeal to the people who get them paid/elected.

I want to know what they consider as Violent? I can see skyrim, Call of Duty, and war like games as being violent.
But Animal Crossing? Paper Mario? I can't see those are violent games.

Basically, what they are trying to say, is that spoons make people overweight.

No they aren't. It's simply a graphic of violent factors in the top selling video games. There's no link to anything beyond that, the analysis on this thread has gone so far beyond what the article is.

I know, I wish people would actually read the other posts. But then again the title of this thread is completely wrong.

All the article does is link New Leaf with Comic Mischief, which is absolutely factual. If the writer wanted to be picky they could have linked it to Axe and Hammer as well, which it doesn't. New Leaf isn't being classed as violent at all.

In fact, the article even admits that research on the link between violence and video games has been inconclusive. There's really no need to draw our pitchforks. :)

Last edited:
Back