• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Approaching the One Year Anniversary, what will you think if there aren't any big updates coming?

I actually never had the idea that they would have a massive update for their 1 year anniversary until people started pointing it out that it could be a possibility. It's true that it is a possibility but I think there's a low chance of that happening because I feel that Nintendo would have already started hyping that up if it were the case. If they don't include anything amazing that we have been wanting in future updates like new NPC's and the roost and such I would be very disappointed but I actually have faith that Nintendo knows what they're doing. I lost faith for a bit, but I think I've come to understand they want to give us a little bit of content at a time. There may never be a massive update with a ton of stuff we want, but we will keep getting things we want little by little.

I do think certain QOL things are on the back burner for them though or just never going to happen (like bulk crafting, buying multiple things in ables, ordering more things per day at nook shopping). I think these things that are frustrating for a lot of us may just be their way of wanting people to take things slower. The reason I think this is because I feel that they would have updated those things way earlier on. I think I remember someone who is creating a game on their own commenting that it wouldn't take long and would be pretty simple for Nintendo to upgrade a lot of these things for us so I do feel it's just not the way they want the game to be. I personally don't like it, but oh well.

I... wouldn't really care, to be honest. Anything they keep adding would be fine, but I'm not putting my enjoyment of the game on hopes, dreams and wants. The game has given me more than 570+ hours of playtime and I'm still nowhere near completing it 100%, therefore, I still have many many things to do everyday so yeah, everything they add is welcomed but I'm not eagerly anticipating it.

I also understand that covid is still a thing and that Japan is undergoing a new state of emergency so things may be slower than initially intended. I also understand that the things I may want don't align with the intentions of the devs, so I also don't think they are [insert negative thing here] for not adding them to the game. I also understand that they have promised x number of things with their updates and they have delivered what was promised and even more, so I also can't complain about they giving me more hopes than intended (that would be on me for looking at datamines and rumours and thinking that's confirmed).

And yeah, I'm also fine with taking breaks from the game if necessary... I have a big backlog of games that I haven't even opened yet because of New Horizons.

tl:dr; My levels of satisfaction are already fulfilled, anything else will just be extra awesome. I do hope there are many "extra awesome" left but I'm not getting angry/disappointed if there are no more.

I'm not expecting anything other than Mario-related items and possibly some minigames mentioned in the datamine. I believe they've made it abundantly clear that when a picture of an NPC appears on the screen, the update is mostly focused on that NPC. In that case, two Mario-related items appear on screen, so I think that will be all. If they decide to add other minor stuff, we'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it.

However, now that all major holidays are out of the way, I'd love for them to focus on other minor holidays (Aprils' Fools Day, the return of the Flea Market, La-Di-Day, Yay Day or Bright Nights, to name but a few), as well as QoL updates everyone's been asking for and more NPCs present in previous games. I want updates that add events/items that will last for more than literally once a year.

I'm not expecting much with the March update as it only hints at the Mario stuff (mushroom and star) towards the end of the trailer. I will be pleasantly surprised if they have more. But the trailer never hinted at March being the anniversary or worded/titled it in any way to imply it being anything but Mario.

I'm not expecting much with the March update as it only hints at the Mario stuff (mushroom and star) towards the end of the trailer. I will be pleasantly surprised if they have more. But the trailer never hinted at March being the anniversary or worded/titled it in any way to imply it being anything but Mario.
I hope we get more than just the mushroom and star!

I'm expecting the next update to be Mario themed and guessing it will probably release around Mario day (Mar. 10).

I don't think they would give us another update just 10 days later for the anniversary, but I remain hopeful based on old datamines that there will be more updates people are excited about as the year goes on.

My expectations are under my feet, where they belong. I'm not expecting any big anniversary updates, no parade for returning characters. No traveling to cities, debit cards, Gracie, etc.

I hope just an announcement for new Amiibo cards or figures to celebrate a year of release, that's all I would like

At this point, Im convinced Nintendo doesn’t and probably never did care about New Horizons.

They saw a gap in the market. Fans of the series were baying for another game since New Leaf. It didn’t matter if they released a decent game or not - people would still buy it. NH sailed on the success of NL and it worked.

Now Nintendo has our money in its pockets they have no incentive to make the game better. The free updates were a mask of good faith to keep sales up - empty promises of the game we should have had.

I don't think it'll be a big one at this rate, and I also think it'll release on Mar10 for Mario Day, so I don't think there'll be an anniversary update unfortunately. Maybe the big update might be in June.

If it's just Mario then I will accept it because that's all I'm expecting for now

There won’t be an anniversary update. I want the mario items but Im very curious to know if they’ll hint any new upcoming updates after much during that update.

Hello, another person for Team No Large Update. I have actually always been a big defender for this game, and I still think it's great! But I cannot pretend that I am not disappointed with this update. Now that it's been a couple days though, I'm wondering if that's because their previous updates have been much more than this, so now I'm expecting more. Let's face it. It's been out almost a year. They probably don't have much more to add to the game. Or, if we're really lucky, it's just that being after Christmas they didn't get as much done for the update, but the anniversary one will be bigger. But I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Really, I'm more interested to see what the next announcement trailer will say - if there will be anything about a future update coming May/June or something...

I would be surprised if they did anything cause the mario update is already coming out, however I can see them doing a seasonal item in Nook Shopping that's like a 1-year hat or something. Honestly, I'm just looking forward for the Sanrio amiibo to be released.

They've only teased Mario for the month of the anniversary, which implies they care more about Mario's anniversary than New Horizons'.
I hope something else happens, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to expect anything.

Edit: Side note: the Sanrio cards get re-released that month as well, if that means anything. (Please bring the Amiibo characters and items back, Nintendo.)

Last edited:
Back