• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

So I have two towns. I've had Hell for 126 days, meaning that my town tree should be in stage 5. But here is the issue.

The Wiki lists the Stage 5 as:

Played 100 Days and 100 Hours
"Appears as a larger tree with ten clusters of leaves, with a vine creeping up from the base of the trunk."

But it also lists two completely different pictures for it.

The first picture fits the description (at least I think it does, I can't really see the whole thing)
View attachment 92676

The second picture is in the "fall" so maybe thats why it looks so different (I know the town tree loses its leaves in the winter)
View attachment 92677

But in my game it is currently Spring, let my tree looks like the second picture (only with green leaves rather than orange/brown ones) Not my picture, but basically like this:
View attachment 92678

Is my tree stage 5? :( Looking at the different pictures of the plaza trees, none of them look like my tree in Hell. But I've seen a bunch of trees looking like mine so I really dont get it
View attachment 92679

The wiki lists the stage 3 one as the only one with 3 clusters of leaves, but I know that my tree isn't as stage 3 because stage 3 is much smaller (also I passed that stage a very long time ago)

I think the tree in the third picture is stage 5, the leaves are just still growing after winter.

I think the tree in the third picture is stage 5, the leaves are just still growing after winter.

thank you! I tested this buy opening the game on a new character in July and it looks as it should :) Was worried sick thinking something was wrong with my tree.

Does your 3ds need to be updated to be able to visit someone's town? Because I tried visiting my best friend's town and tried multiple times but I keep getting an error code and I don't want to update my 3ds for certain reasons.

Can someone explain clovers to me? Does plucking or shoveling matters in finding a lucky clover? Only lucky clovers can be kept in the inventory? Thanks! ;)

Does your 3ds need to be updated to be able to visit someone's town? Because I tried visiting my best friend's town and tried multiple times but I keep getting an error code and I don't want to update my 3ds for certain reasons.

Yes you have to do the upgrades for being able to play online.

Can someone explain clovers to me? Does plucking or shoveling matters in finding a lucky clover? Only lucky clovers can be kept in the inventory? Thanks! ;)

if you shovel a clover you will kill it you need to pluck them in order to find a lucky clover and yes only you can only have lucky clovers in your inventory

I think I know the answer to this already, but just so I'm absolutely clear: I only have one DS, so if I bought a digital copy of ACNL (I play using a cartridge at the moment) I could have two towns but there'd be no way for me to exchange items or villagers between my towns? I'm so tempted to get a second copy to make a differently themed town but I think it might get too frustrating if a dreamie for one town showed up in the other etc!

I think I know the answer to this already, but just so I'm absolutely clear: I only have one DS, so if I bought a digital copy of ACNL (I play using a cartridge at the moment) I could have two towns but there'd be no way for me to exchange items or villagers between my towns? I'm so tempted to get a second copy to make a differently themed town but I think it might get too frustrating if a dreamie for one town showed up in the other etc!

That's correct, you need to have access to two different 3DS to be able to exchange items or villagers between towns unfortunately.

I have a few questions about pattern paths and natural paths. So my town has quite a few natural paths already made from me running past bridges and what not- Does having pattern paths keep natural paths from forming? And does having the Beautiful Town Ordinance reduce natural paths? I ask because I really prefer natural paths, but I don't like how my town looks while I wait for them to form. Will having the pattern paths over the natural paths make those already started natural paths turn back into grass? Any information regarding this topic would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. ^^

Last edited:
I have a few questions about pattern paths and natural paths. So my town has quite a few natural paths already made from me running past bridges and what not- Does having pattern paths keep natural paths from forming? And does having the Beautiful Town Ordinance reduce natural paths? I ask because I really prefer natural paths, but I don't like how my town looks while I wait for them to form. Will having the pattern paths over the natural paths make those already started natural paths turn back into grass? Any information regarding this topic would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. ^^

QR paths don't prevent grass wear, though they might slow it down a tiny bit. Same with Beautiful Ordinance; seems to slow the process a little. I have the ordinance, but have plenty of grass wear going on in my town. Some people lay down QR paths so they're certain to run only over those areas, then erase them later. The biggest problem with natural paths is winter. Snowfall grows grass back very quickly, so natural paths require a ton of maintenance during that season.

Can your character use the tweeter item on its own? It was just happening to me earlier and it was really wierd. I've only first gotten this item recently so I don't know how it functions.

Can your character use the tweeter item on its own? It was just happening to me earlier and it was really wierd. I've only first gotten this item recently so I don't know how it functions.

I believe it's like the pinwheel. If you blow/breathe on the mic, it will work on its own.

I feel like I ask so many questions related to the town tree. But this one related to my first town (Eclair)

I pre-ordered ACNL and it arrived on June 11th 2013. On this day I created my town of Eclair. I haven't reset my town once, what this means is that I've had my town for 698 days, not counting all of the additional days I got from TTing.

Despite having played so long I noticed that my town tree wasn't fully grown. At first I was very confused as my library said that I had played the game for over 2500 hours. But then I realized that I always keep my 3DS idle at the ACNL screen and that I've also played other towns on this 3DS and that I've spent quite a lot of time resetting for villagers on that 3DS, meaning that the 2500 hours spent playing ACNL wasn't quite accurate.

So these past few days I've been playing on Eclair a lot more than I usually do (recently I've been playing my second town) and I managed to receive the 500 hours badges yesterday. Today I booted up the game expecting to see a bigger tree. But there were was no difference.

Can anyone help me figure out why? I mean... I've played 500 hours and 698 days so why isn't my tree growing? Does the "500 days" mean that I have to load up the game on 500 times on 500 different days? Or would say... loading up my game on Jan 1st and then time traveling 500 days into the future count as 500 days?

I feel like I ask so many questions related to the town tree. But this one related to my first town (Eclair)

I pre-ordered ACNL and it arrived on June 11th 2013. On this day I created my town of Eclair. I haven't reset my town once, what this means is that I've had my town for 698 days, not counting all of the additional days I got from TTing.

Despite having played so long I noticed that my town tree wasn't fully grown. At first I was very confused as my library said that I had played the game for over 2500 hours. But then I realized that I always keep my 3DS idle at the ACNL screen and that I've also played other towns on this 3DS and that I've spent quite a lot of time resetting for villagers on that 3DS, meaning that the 2500 hours spent playing ACNL wasn't quite accurate.

So these past few days I've been playing on Eclair a lot more than I usually do (recently I've been playing my second town) and I managed to receive the 500 hours badges yesterday. Today I booted up the game expecting to see a bigger tree. But there were was no difference.

Can anyone help me figure out why? I mean... I've played 500 hours and 698 days so why isn't my tree growing? Does the "500 days" mean that I have to load up the game on 500 times on 500 different days? Or would say... loading up my game on Jan 1st and then time traveling 500 days into the future count as 500 days?

The game has to be loaded on 500 unique days, so if you skip days it won?t count towards the amount of 500 days.

The game has to be loaded on 500 unique days, so if you skip days it won?t count towards the amount of 500 days.

Darn. I didn't think I had skipped so many days, but I guess it makes sense what with me juggling 4 towns and all. Thanks!

Back