• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Celebrating Diversity: New Horizons Character Designing Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
610ACECE-ABC6-43A5-8675-C3371559863B.jpeg

I’m all ready to celebrate diversity! I love to see my character dressed as a spy, a boss and I proudly carry my rainbow headband and my signature musical notes as face painting. She celebrates all that I have inside of me. Many different aspects of my personality. I am a doctor and also a singer/actress, I am an adult but also a child at heart and, I am married to a man but I also identify as a bisexual woman. more than ever, I am on the road to be myself.
“I am an international super spy… super spyyyy~~~”

uAiDFor.jpg

I wanted my entry to really encompass how I choose to celebrate diversity. At work I'm a chair member of 3 different focus groups. One is the Culture and Diversity committee where we put resources and time back into the underserved communities around us who lack the right support and funding. The second is a Women's focus group where we dedicate time every month on meeting and we help empower women within the company and work on ways for women to take higher positions in the company. We all have a mentee and mentor to help guide us while we guide. Lastly I'm part of a LGBTQ+ focus group where we are trying to focus on LGBTQ+ education in the work place. We are also just there to be a safe place for people who might be struggling with identity and sexuality. These groups mean everything to me and I feel so lucky that I am able to focus such a huge part of my career on these issues. As a white straight female I understand my privilege and I want to help elevate and give equity to those who need it! For my AC character I wore a traditional work type outfit with a more purple blazer for women, and of course the pride flag, and the raised fists to really encompass the solidarity with everyone.

With name:
ck0ugiD.jpg

Round 2, which included submissions from Friday 6 PM EDT to Monday 12 PM EDT, ended with @S.J., @Bekaa, and @Rosch in the top three. Their characters are now in the banner!

Both the top two from the remainder of the event and the top two overall (that haven't been selected yet) will make up our final banner. If you haven't submitted yet, you still have until Wednesday 10 PM EDT!

Thanks for including National Indigenous Peoples day in the post I don't think I saw it in there originally but I'm glad it's being included. One of my nearest and dearest friends is Indigenous and so my diversity entry is dedicated to her. I've changed my rep to look like her AC rep instead, the clothing is meant to be traditional Cree regalia, and I've added moccasins and a feather. I wish I knew more about Indigenous culture and history so that this entry could be better but I wanted to do something at least

jada <3.jpeg

The custom design creator code is MA-6069-1356-6047 I would highly recommend checking out their designs

I was so happy to see this event return. I loved seeing all the amazing entries last year!

In January 2001 I became disabled. I needed a surgery to reconnect parts of me to the rest of my body. I then spent 6 weeks living in a physical rehab facility learning to walk again and learning how to do things in new ways. I was only able to see my family for a few hours a day. Before I became disabled I was a super active "super mom". I drove my grandfather to all his doctors appointments, did the grocery shopping, went to everything my son was involved in, had girl days with my mom, made sure hubs was set for work and I myself worked. I did anything & everything I could for my family. After my surgery everything changed. I lost my ability to drive. I lost most of my physical mobility. The most painful thing I lost though... was me. I didn't know how to be the "new" me. I felt lost in my own mind. How could I still be helpful to my family when I couldn't find my way through the fog? It took time but I realized I was still ME - just a different version. I figured out new ways to do the things I did before. Soon I was used to my new normal and my family was as well. I learned I was "diff-abled" - differently abled. I'm not going to lie - things are still rough some days. I'm in constant pain but I'm still here, still with those I love. My family is the most important thing in the world to me and I'm grateful for every day I have with them.

My entry is of my Res Rep Brody. She's wearing a tee displaying The Disability Flag created by Eros Recio in 2017. She's holding the Disability Pride Flag created by Ann Magill. She's standing with her customized wheelchair. (I'm including a second pic of Brody in her chair with signs of the Flags as a bonus pic.) I created the custom designs based on the two flags. I also created extra designs for in game use.

tbt_diversity_entry_2021_a_by_valzed_deme4zc-pre.jpg

Bonus pic:
brody_in_wheelchair_w_disability_flags_by_valzed_deme9wf-pre.jpg

Here are links to information about the Disability Flags.

The Disability Flag by Eros Recio
Ann Magill's Flickr page for the Disability Pride Flag
Disability Pride Flag by Ann Magill

I'm also including all of my custom designs based on the two flags for everyone who might like to use them in game.
the_disability_flag_by_eros_recio_by_valzed_deme9vk-pre.jpg
the_disability_flag_by_eros_recio_tee_by_valzed_deme9vq-pre.jpg
the_disability_flag_by_eros_recio_hand_held_flag_by_valzed_deme9vt-pre.jpg
disability_pride_flag_by_ann_magill_by_valzed_deme9vx-pre.jpg
disability_pride_flag_by_ann_magill_tee_by_valzed_deme9w4-pre.jpg
disability_pride_flag_by_ann_magill_hand_held_flag_by_valzed_deme9w9-pre.jpg

Thank you for reading! Good luck to all! Blessed be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back