• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Do you like any unpopular music?

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
August Birthstone (Peridot)
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Father's Day Carnation
June Birthstone (Pearl)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Spring Sakura
White Hyacinth
A family member of mine was showing me his spotify playlist. It's full of niche indie stuff.

Part of the appeal of music to me is sharing in a wider fandom. So I feel like I wouldn't get as much out of bands with only a couple thousand listeners.

I definitely like some of the lesser known Van Halen songs. That's how it goes for albums sometimes. I might find some of the songs appealing and they happen to be the ones that never became a major hit.

Does PC 98 and PC 88 music count as unpopular music?

I mean, early PC, 16 bit, and arcade synth music is pretty niche. Arcade music from the mid to late 80's and 90's are underapprecated and deserves to be listened more.

When I really think about it, probably the music genres I listen to that are unpopular are orchestral Muzak (literal elevator music. Not even joking.), early music (as in medieval and Renaissance music), and maybe British Folk and Bluegrass. I don't know how popular or unpopular those latter two are. But I do take the rule that Country is a love it or hate it genre, and Bluegrass is closely related to Country, while British Folk isn't related but is niche in the same way as Country if you know what I mean?

Even still, I don't know how unpopular any of these actually are. Like I know that for the first example I gave, lounge-type music is actually a lot of peoples' vibes nowadays. Looking into this kind of music I have run into Vaporwave which isn't for me as I prefer orchestral, but it is very similar in nature otherwise and seems to be something that people actually like, so IDK.

There's a niche shoegaze band from the 2000s I like, but unfortunately I can't name them since their band name means something inappropriate in Japanese. The singer's voice was beautiful and their guitarist was very talented. I managed to find another fan of them on Discord, but that's it. No one else I've encountered has heard of them. I'd love to get a CD of their most popular album, but it's no longer in print and the only copies I could find on eBay were from Europe.

I also listen to Lupen Crook. He has less than 5,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. I enjoy his very British sounding singing voice and his surreal melodies. I found him while looking up notable people with my mental illness and he appeared. I listened to his top songs and have been hooked ever since.

Before Ricky Montgomery became famous on TikTok I listened to his first album a lot in high school. He had less than 40,000 monthly listeners back when I first listened to him and I felt like a found a real hidden gem. Every song he made was so catchy and memorable and I always wished he made another one. After seven long years he finally released his second album and it was just as good as I hoped.

I'd normally say classic rock, but it's more of a case of being born in the wrong generation. Does electronic new age music count as unpopular? I tend to like it quite a bit. For instance, I can name two albums that I personally like that fit that criteria: Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast and Alpha Wave Movement's A Distant Signal. In the case of the former, it was actually the first new age album to be certified platinum, and one of the songs is featured on the Grand Theft Auto IV soundtrack. I've fallen asleep to both albums several times, and they put me in a relaxed mood every time.

Yeah my music taste gets weird af. Aside from pop, I like folk songs from other cultures and yodeling music. I also LOVE “El Viejo de Sombreron” by La Sonora Dinamita. (or as I call it, the “beep beep beep” song based on the onomatopoeia in the song).

I also like New Age stuff.

ABBA!

As for show tunes— The HMS Pinafore and Pirates of Penzance are wonderful! (The latter has a good movie version with Linda Ronstadt, too.) As are Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Phantom of the Opera’s songs.

In middle school my favorite band was Dschinghis Khan. 😂 Some of their songs are still bangers though.

In high school I LOVED that song “Crazy Loop” by this Romanian (?) Guy and listened to it all the time. I also loved Aqua and Ace of Base. I even burned a few CDs of German pop and oldies lol.

Always been a Celtic Woman fan, too!

I also legitimately enjoy opera, especially ones by Rossini. But I also like more obscure ones, like “Il crociato in Egitto.” I also love vocal Baroque works by Bach, Lully, Handel, and others.

And it goes without saying I love most of Bach and Vivaldi’s work— but they’re popular in the Baroque music sphere.

Last edited:
Idk if some of his songs are considered unpopular, but I'm a huge fan of Adam Young! Owl City is the most successful/popular he's been but I'm also very much a fan of his other projects, notably Sky Sailing and some smaller albums he had under his name. Brielle is my favorite from his Sky Sailing era :] Really like his older albums under Owl City too; Maybe I'm Dreaming is so nice and my favorites are Super Honeymoon & Saltwater Room.

Kind of funny he has 10 mil listeners on Spotify when his more recent albums are rarely talked about outside fan communities. Fireflies is still somehow around to this day (almost at 1 billion plays on Spotify oml).

Most of the music on my heavy rotations list falls under the label of indie or "unpopular", so yes! Not being part of a wider fandom as you put it when it comes to my music preferences doesn't bother me at all since I don't really care to connect with other listeners, so I suppose I just like what I like and most of that happens to be more obscure. :)

I do listen to a few mainstream artists, but it's mostly older stuff from the 80s or early 90s. Nearly all of my starred songs (I use Apple Music) are from smaller or indie bands.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 at 9.49.06 AM.png

I listen to almost any kind of metal and as that includes death metal, black metal, avant garde metal, etc. then that'd be a DEFINITE yes!!

Music is something for me and I don’t care about “fandom”. I listen to what I like and makes me feel something. Happy, sad….. it’s personal to me. (If you saw my Spotify it ranges from ABBA to Taylor Swift with rock and pop 😂💜)

While I do like popular music & artists, all of my favorite artists and music is more often than not super underground. I've had to upload some of my favorite songs to Soundcloud on my own profile (With credits), because the artist or DJ won't have the song posted online anywhere on their accounts. 😅

A lot of the time there is no fandom for me to share with, but that doesn't bother me too much

Back