• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Do you prefer hot dogs or hamburgers at a BBQ?

Which meat do you prefer?

• Total voters
I love hamburgers. When it comes to hotdogs, I like them best if they're a kielbasa.

It's Saturday, and your friends invite you out to a BBQ. It's a beautiful August evening and you're getting hungry for some grub, and as luck would have it, the host has just finished cooking. There are two meat options: hot dogs and hamburgers (and vegan options for each as well).

The choice lay before you - do you prefer the long cylindrical hot dog with all of your favourite condiments, or are you eyeing the elusive hamburger? Before you ask, yes - there is cheese.
Hamburger all the way! Don't get me wrong, a grilled hotdog is good buuuut I love a good hamburger ☺️

The correct answer for me would be no, I do not prefer hotdogs nor do I prefer hamburgers at a bbq. To answer the poll question however it'd be hamburgers by default, hotdogs make me violently ill and I don't really like them anyway so definitely not worth eating.
-
Oh no they are bigger then a hotdog. Almost like a sausage maybe? I never thought about it until my boyfriend's american friend had no idea what a smokie was.
Smokies are just smoked sausages not technically a hotdog, we have the same thing but they're not branded as smokies aside from Lil' Smokies which would actually be the same thing (sausage-wise), they're just prepared in a sauce. We may not have all the same brands as Canada and don't brand them as such, but they're not any special type of sausage. It's kind of like how Brits call potato chips crisps, they refer to the same thing just different words for them. *Hotdogs are technically supposed to be frankfurters a specific kind of par-boiled sausage.*

Last edited:
I'd take the hamburger. Though judging by the result of this poll, if we were to have a TBT barbeque there probably wouldn't be any burgers left.

The correct answer for me would be no, I do not prefer hotdogs nor do I prefer hamburgers at a bbq. To answer the poll question however it'd be hamburgers by default, hotdogs make me violently ill and I don't really like them anyway so definitely not worth eating.
-

Smokies are just smoked sausages not technically a hotdog, we have them, but we have the same thing but they're not branded as smokies aside from Lil' Smokies which would actually be the same thing (sausage-wise), they're just prepared in a sauce. We may not have all the same brands as Canada and don't brand them as such, but they're not any special type of sausage. It's kind of like how Brits call potato chips crisps, they refer to the same thing just different words for them. *Hotdogs are technically supposed to be frankfurters a specific kind of par-boiled sausage.*
Dang I learned something new today y'all

Dang I learned something new today y'all
Happens with international things. Ketchup in the US and Canada generally refers to Tomato based sauce, whereas in the UK the ketchup originally used egg whites, oysters, and mushrooms rarely tomato. Even today what we just call ketchup they'll commonly refer as red sauce, though there are those who call it ketchup considering Heinz calls itself ketchup and it and accounts for 60% of the market in the UK (84% in the US). Heck you can trace the origin of mustard back to a grape based sauce used in ancient Rome. Basically the assumption that you call something one thing and the rest of the world calls it the same thing is a form of nationalism, you don't think about it because it's simply how it is in your everyday life, but when you go to a globalized media like the internet it's generally more helpful to describe the product in addition to saying what you call it is all. Even the term hotdog is a loose and regional one. You can call it a frank, a weiner, and while something may have a technical definition that doesn't mean there isn't a widely accepted colloquial definition either. If enough people use something 'incorrectly' then that 'incorrect' use actual becomes and accepted use which is why words can change meaning outright over time. My grandfather for instance would call a weiner (Vienna Sausage) a hotdog, is he technically wrong sure, but is he actually eh not really. It's a classic case of being right enough to not be wrong even if one isn't fully apt. Birds have hollow bones, a statement many people make. Birds don't have hollow bones, but they don't have solid bones either they have a lattice structure that reduces the density of their bones making it easier for them to fly, but 'hollow' is close enough so it's generally accepted as being fine to say. Just thought I'd clarify that as I wasn't trying to correct you or anything like that.

Even today what we just call ketchup they'll commonly refer as red sauce, though there are those who call it ketchup considering Heinz calls itself ketchup and it and accounts for 60% of the market in the UK (84% in the US).

hate to break it to you but literally nobody here calls it "red sauce". tomato sauce, yes, which is more common than saying ketchup but red sauce? no. we've got brown sauce though. just felt like clearing that up lol.

hate to break it to you but literally nobody here calls it "red sauce". tomato sauce, yes, which is more common than saying ketchup but red sauce? no. we've got brown sauce though. just felt like clearing that up lol.
Areas of the United Kingdom as well as Ireland call it red sauce, I never specified any specific region nor did I say they didn't call it something else in other regions. I avoided saying that it was referred to as tomato sauce in other areas of the UK, because in Canada and the US tomato sauce is something entirely different and red sauce isn't used very often around here to refer to anything (only on occasion used to refer to red enchilada sauce) so yeah they do commonly call it red sauce in the UK if it's not your region that does it doesn't mean others don't. Making sweeping statements such as literally nobody says X are almost always wrong and is projecting what you hear around you assuming it's ubiquitous for all regions simply because you live there. It'd be like me saying literally nobody calls Pepsi Cola, coke, because here coke usually refers to Coca Cola, heck they even market it as Coke, but travel south and all pop/soda/fountain drinks are referred to as coke and rather commonly in specific regions. Pretty much exactly what I was saying to Oak, projecting what you hear locally as being universal id est you didn't actually clear up anything and nor did you say anything I wasn't already aware of.

Areas of the United Kingdom as well as Ireland call it red sauce, I never specified any specific region nor did I say they didn't call it something else in other regions. I avoided saying that it was referred to as tomato sauce in other areas of the UK, because in Canada and the US tomato sauce is something entirely different and red sauce isn't used very often around here to refer to anything (only on occasion used to refer to red enchilada sauce) so yeah they do commonly call it red sauce in the UK if it's not your region that does it doesn't mean others don't. Making sweeping statements such as literally nobody says X are almost always wrong and is projecting what you hear around you assuming it's ubiquitous for all regions simply because you live there. It'd be like me saying literally nobody calls Pepsi Cola, coke, because here coke usually refers to Coca Cola, heck they even market it as Coke, but travel south and all pop/soda/fountain drinks are referred to as coke and rather commonly in specific regions. Pretty much exactly what I was saying to Oak, projecting what you hear locally as being universal id est you didn't actually clear up anything and nor did you say anything I wasn't already aware of.

i was going to write a whole response to this as someone who's actually from the UK, has visited most of the regions, and understands the use of hyperbole but honestly you acting like an entitled a** over ketchup terminology isn't worth the effort and these people just want to discuss their love for burgers so i'm just going to put you on ignore and move on with my life lmao

also the poor hotdogs i'm-

I choose neither. Sometimes I’ll choose the vegan options but not often. I usually just get a hamburger bun and fill it with vegetables and shove potato chips inside of it. Most bbqs I attend don’t think about vegetarian things anyway. Which is fine I don’t expect it, just don’t give me weird looks while I’m trying to eat.

Oh man.... This is such a tough choice!! I'm gonna go with hotdogs though. But ONLY if it's the big street meat type hotdogs!

If I'm REALLY hungry, I'll choose a burger.

Ugh see? I don't know! I like both!! Maybe I'll just choose both cause honestly I'm fat and I'd grab both.

Hotdogs are who knows whats nasty stuff in there.. i never really liked them unless theyre burnt to a crisp.. hamburgers are no good ethier now.. veggie burgers all the way!

I haven't had either in years since I've largely given up red meat, and most of the time I'm also not interested in really looking for vegan options when I could just be eating something else. Once you stop having something for long enough, you kind of stop caring about pursuing it.

If I were to choose one, I'd go for a burger.

That said...

I prefer Smart Dogs (vegan alternative) to burgers. To be honest, I'm not terribly fond of either and would probably make my meal out of salads, veggies, and dip. :D
I liked Smart Dogs when I could find them in any of the stores around here, but I've seen no sign of them in years. If they were present at this BBQ, then yeah, I'd probably opt for those.

I'd have to go with a cheeseburger. I haven't cared for hot dogs in years and I don't like any of the toppings for them.

Either I guess...I'm not really big on meats tbh so I'd be more into the sides in reality. I'll vote for hotdog because generally if the burgers are too thick then I would prolly go for the former.

i was going to write a whole response to this as someone who's actually from the UK, has visited most of the regions, and understands the use of hyperbole but honestly you acting like an entitled a** over ketchup terminology isn't worth the effort and these people just want to discuss their love for burgers so i'm just going to put you on ignore and move on with my life lmao

also the poor hotdogs i'm-
Says the person who went out of their way to be condescending in their first post when they're wrong by and by. Being a resident doesn't make somebody an expert on everything that goes on in their country either. Welsh English, Scottish English, Black Country and South London all use the term in contrast to brown sauce which brown sauce. People in the UK also call it Tomato Sauce, TommyK, Tomato Ketchup, Ketchup the list goes. The one acting entitled is actually the person trying to play themselves off as some sort of 'expert' because of simple residency, the person that went out of their way to be contrary. Also the person who feels they have to go out of their way to make a post how they're not going to respond and how they're going to ignore somebody in shameless "look at me" post as you did, so have fun with those delusions of adequacy still won't make you right or less of a hypocrite.(y)

I don't really care for either, but I'll go with hotdogs because they're the underdog here. (harharhar)

Reactions: Dim
Back