• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Don’t expect to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons for more than 2 hours on March 20

Boccages

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
Some newcomers or first time Animal Crossing players don?t realize this, but this series was never conceived for lengthy play sessions like Civilization or The Legend of Zelda. It?s meant to be distilled onto a longer time frame with small daily play sessions. I remember with New Leaf, I would usually play 45 to 60 minutes daily when it came out in 2013.

The fact of the matter is you won?t have much to do after 1 or 2 hours of playing New Horizons on March 20. On day 1 in New Leaf, you had quite limited activities : you could meet the villagers, choose where you would set up your tent, pick up weeds, do a few chores for Tom Nook, and repay your first loan. Yes, you could visit the few opened stores, but most of them were still out of reach. You were also limited by the fact that you could buy only 1-2 tools on day one. You could not go to the Tropical island yet, but you were able to visit other towns by using the train station. Visiting other towns could enable you to buy more tools. In New Horizons, I expect we will first craft flimsy (breakable) tools. But then again, I fully expect that the available ressources on day 1 will limit the amount of tools/objects you can craft. I also don?t expect to be able to cut down trees with the flimsy axe (just gather wood), and Nintendo might make blueprints unlockable, meaning some tools might not be crafted on day 1.

I expect that New Horizons will be even more limited on day 1 than New Leaf since you settle on a deserted island. So I don?t expect shops except Nook?s service center. I also expect some parts of the island to be unreachable (higher tiers).

Here is what I expect from day 1.

* Landing on the deserted island with 2 random villagers who?ve bought into the Nook Inc. Getaway Package with you (you might be able to select who with amiibo cards or not)
* Meeting with Nook and the Nooklings at the service center
* Limited exploration of the island
* Choosing a spot for your tent
* Crafting basics
* Gathering some basic materials like weeds, stones, and wood (and selling them for bells to Tom Nook)
* Helping the 2 other villagers setting up their tent 🏕
* Limited purchasing options at the service center (tools, flower seeds, sapplings, maybe basic furnitures and blueprints)
* Visiting other deserted islands through the Dodo Airlines docking station
* Maybe fishing (fishing pole), sand digging for mollusks (shovel), or bug catching (net) if you are able to get some of these tools (and watering flowers with the water can... if you can get one).
* Completing a few chores for Nook and the 2 accompanying villagers

I think considering how little there actually is on the island I think it's pretty safe to say there will be more than before to do on the island. There will be a ton of materials to get, and a lot of people (like myself) will start to slowly figure out how they want their town layout to be. Crafting is going to be more important in the beginning of the game when nobody has the bells to spare to buy something instead of crafting it. I think because we can craft it'll be pretty easy to get the tools (I remember not being about to find a gardening can in NL for several days), so things like bug catching and fishing can pretty much be started from the get go, when it was really a gamble before.

I'm sure the first week or two is going to be slow for people not plannign on time traveling, but I'm sure they'll be plenty of things to do from the very beginning - we have a whole island to rebuild!

I think there will be quite a few things to do. Hopefully at least lol.

Animal Crossing is a game where you make your own fun, so while you may finish the bulk of the tasks in 1-2 hours, I'm sure you can find something to do, whether it's just fishing or catching bugs on your own time, inviting people over to hang out with, or just running around. How much enjoyment you get out of it is on you.

I don't know. We'll definitely be forced into a quest to get to know every villager, but with the whole new crafting system I think you'll be able to grind much more on the first day than in previous games. Like, Animal Crossing never lets you progress for more than 2 hours a day. But I guess it's good to know for new players who are hyped.

I don't know about 2 hours. It's really dependent on the pacing, goals, and desires of the player.

The day of New Leaf's launch, I definitely put 5 hours minimum on release day between exploring everything I could at the time, catching bugs/fish every hour, wifi with friends, and so on. I think New Horizons will offer more gameplay initially due to the crafting system possibly allowing us to craft more tools earlier on.

There's a possibility I will play 0 hours of the release due to not being able to afford a switch along with ACNH.
I played for about 3 hours on the first day of NL - not on the release date... It was a precious gift!

I agree, the gameplay will definitely be limited.
The trees and rocks stop giving out logs after you have hit them a few times like rocks in previous AC games.
You need to keep up your energy if you're going to landscape and if you only have a few fruit trees, again also limited.
We won't know the opening hours of Tom Nook's centre and although he has an ATM machine in there, without a bank to deposit bells, it won't be useful to us and will most likely be out of order during the first days.
Tom Nook might have some sort of safety deposit box where you can store money but I doubt you'd earn any interest haha
Bell limit, when you reach 99,000b it steals pocket space but in NH, we don't know if there will be a smaller limit on this, or if we'll have to upgrade to store more bells on us.
Will villagers pay us for helping them? Will we need to pay villagers for them helping us? We're all in the same boat now! I think this will give us Nook Miles points but where do we spend them? Will we be able to spend them straight away?

I don't mind taking my time with this game, I want to feel relaxed so even if I only get 2hrs in, it'll be fine.

I bet once we all exhaust tasks and whatnot, we'll be making paths and making a mental blueprint for future arrivals.
☆〜(ゝ。∂)

I know I'll be looking over the island to get a rough idea on how I'd like to develop it later. That'll take some time, even after completing the beginning tasks. I might even find a spot to sit and listen to the new music for a while.

But it is a good idea to caution new players about the general pace the games.

It’s going to be soooo hard for me not to time travel since I am going to want to continue playing lol. I must resist the urge.

I dunno about y'all, but I'm for sure gonna be playing longer than 2 hours on release day. I can already see myself running around my island and bugging my villagers constantly for hours lol.

I dunno about y'all, but I'm for sure gonna be playing longer than 2 hours on release day. I can already see myself running around my island and bugging my villagers constantly for hours lol.

Same lol. And I wanna play with people online lol. And visit someone in the Southern Hemisphere so I can see a different season. I definitely will be playing longer. Hopefully you can start off with a fishing pole lol. Hopefully you can since you can craft one.

Once I figure out how to craft a net and fishing pole, I'll play for hours on end. Such a relaxing game.

I just hope we can get a net and fishing rod on Day One. I’ll try and stock up on bells early lol

Idk Animal Crossing is a "casual" game but I still put a little over 4,000 hours into acnl. lmao

yea i’m definitely gonna get more than 2 hours out of it on release day

We don't know what all will be available day one and people play at their own pace, so I'm sure most people will be playing more than that, especially since it will be a brand new game.

Animal Crossing is a game where you make your own fun, so while you may finish the bulk of the tasks in 1-2 hours, I'm sure you can find something to do, whether it's just fishing or catching bugs on your own time, inviting people over to hang out with, or just running around. How much enjoyment you get out of it is on you.

I agree with this. In ACNL, on day one, I definitely played for a whole day and filled my time with collecting all the bugs/fish/fossils/flowers I could (can't remember which tools I had day 1 but you get the gist.).

I always play longer because of multiplayer, I love seeing the layouts that other people choose.

Back