• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Don’t expect to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons for more than 2 hours on March 20

I'll just run walk around the island and look around, but yeah, I don't think that'll take more than two hours. I guess it'll depend on whether we can map reset and how much time that takes (plus how much time it takes before I'm happy with a map). I hope we get a Direct soon with a bit more info (like will there be perfect fruit on the island ?).

Honestly I've kind of been expecting to not play very much on launch day...

Not because I don't have the time. March 20th is a national holiday in Japan, the Spring Equinox, so I'll have a three-day weekend, but I remember how it was in ACNL.

I tried not to get spoiled too much for ACNL because I had tried to look at every bit of info for ACCF and I think that ruined the experience a bit for me. But still, when I picked it up on the first day I went through all of the tasks I could, bought what tools I could, explored etc. but kind of felt like, "well, I guess that's all I can really do... I'll wait until tomorrow to do any more then." and then things started to pick up after day 2.

I had friends, but I mostly communicated with them through SwapNote so I don't think I was able to WiFi or add anyone as a best friend so that we could message each other. But maybe I'm wrong...

With how much progression there is in ACNH I'm wondering if it'll be about the same for me.

Okay, I checked my activity log and it seems like my memory has failed me a bit. On launch day I played for 6 hours, the next day 3, then 3, 4 1/2, 6, 4 1/12, 6 1/2... so it wasn't short at all the first day! But I do remember the first day being the least interesting.

Hey StarGlitch ! I did not know you were a member of the Bell Tree Forum. I'm glad I'm following you over on Twitter. Thank you for scanning the World Hobby Fair pamphlet. That was rad !
Honestly I've kind of been expecting to not play very much on launch day...

Not because I don't have the time. March 20th is a national holiday in Japan, the Spring Equinox, so I'll have a three-day weekend, but I remember how it was in ACNL.

I tried not to get spoiled too much for ACNL because I had tried to look at every bit of info for ACCF and I think that ruined the experience a bit for me. But still, when I picked it up on the first day I went through all of the tasks I could, bought what tools I could, explored etc. but kind of felt like, "well, I guess that's all I can really do... I'll wait until tomorrow to do any more then." and then things started to pick up after day 2.

I had friends, but I mostly communicated with them through SwapNote so I don't think I was able to WiFi or add anyone as a best friend so that we could message each other. But maybe I'm wrong...

With how much progression there is in ACNH I'm wondering if it'll be about the same for me.

Okay, I checked my activity log and it seems like my memory has failed me a bit. On launch day I played for 6 hours, the next day 3, then 3, 4 1/2, 6, 4 1/12, 6 1/2... so it wasn't short at all the first day! But I do remember the first day being the least interesting.

i think lots of people are already gonna start time traveling. nothing wrong with it though, you can always play animal crossing in whatever way it suits your needs.
however, i agree with lots of the other replies about how crafting will probably make gameplay lengthier.

hopefully i will be getting a switch in march, so i can get new horizons!

While you may be right I know there will be people who will be playing all day. Streamers are definitely going to be playing more than 2 hours. I know many are going to be experimenting with time travel and see if it works just like new leaf or not. As for me I will only be playing for 3+ hours as I have a job. On the first day I want to focus the most on trying to see what I can do the most in accomplishment and walking around trying to see what I am going to plan on doing on my island.

For me, the topic title should be "Don?t expect to eat, drink or sleep on March 20, because I'll be playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons until my eyes bleed!" :)

For me, the topic title should be "Don’t expect to eat, drink or sleep on March 20, because I'll be playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons until my eyes bleed!" :)

that's literally going to be me if i end up having a switch by then lol

I will probably have to work that day, since it is a Friday. I hope to be able to play for a few hours anyway.

Hello, Boccages! I am now haha. I saw that my YouTube video on the manga was getting some traffic from here and realized how long it's been since I've thought about this site! I've lurked a bit but I've been using animalcrossingcommunity for longer.

I'm going to try to do as much as I can the first day. I'm wondering if crafting will be limited at all early on...

Hello, Boccages! I am now haha. I saw that my YouTube video on the manga was getting some traffic from here and realized how long it's been since I've thought about this site! I've lurked a bit but I've been using animalcrossingcommunity for longer.

I'm going to try to do as much as I can the first day. I'm wondering if crafting will be limited at all early on...

I bet we will have limited recipes, and resources may/will run out. But I doubt there will be a "you can only craft 4 things" limit.

i'm definitely going to be spending more than 2 hours playing the game. if i get a digital copy at midnight, probably the first hour(s) will be spent map resetting (i think i'll probably end up going with the first map i kinda like just to see what i looks like in game before more resetting though). after the tutorial i'll try to make as many bells as i can, and if patterns are still a thing i'll probably start planning out my island. also, if acnh follows other animal crossing games and has different bugs and fish at different times throughout the day, that's more time spent playing. i may not play like 3 hours in a row (other than map resetting), but all the time i play the game will definitely add up. i just hope the museum is open from the start and the stores are ready for the amount of fish i'm about to dump on them.

i'd like to time travel, but since there's only one island per switch console i'm not even gonna try. idk if my siblings will want to play or not, and i want to have a "vanilla" island. i'll probably visit other people's islands though; i never got to do that in acnl.

Last edited:
Played New Leaf for a solid 7 hours on launch day. It's better not to tell people what they can and can't expect from a game that you yourself have not played and are only basing all this on what we've seen, which has been nothing at all.

Maybe a better way of putting is "don't judge the entire game off of your first day, since because of limitations it may not be a good representation of all the fun things you'll eventually be able to do."

Maybe a better way of putting is "don't judge the entire game off of your first day, since because of limitations it may not be a good representation of all the fun things you'll eventually be able to do."

That’s about it. But my trolly self likes the reactions I get when I tell people not to do stuff. So that’s why it’s sentenced the way it is.

I'm hopefully gonna be streaming it when it comes out, so I feel like I'll be playing it for a reasonably long time, based on that - it's gonna take time to choose a name, a town I like, see if I have any nice villagers and all that kind of thing, then choosing where my tent will go and all that kind of thing - first days of Animal Crossing are always nice to just relax and get to know your villagers/try and make money/go visit friends if you can, too, so I feel like I'm gonna end up playing it for a long while :)

I don't have school on the day it comes out (pure luck, Idk why) and I plan to spend my time hoarding all the materials I can, catching all the bugs and fish that I can, selling whatever I can find to sell, planting more fruit trees, and crafting a bunch of stuff. I'm sure I'll find something to do, even if it is pretty boring like just talking to my villagers repeatedly or spending an hour fishing.

I spend so long in new Leaf trying to get a good map layout I will not be doing that in this one,

Back