• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

English names for characters and shops

McRibbie said:
Shoe Shank would be renamed though, because Shank is the Japanese name of Kicks.

I never knew that - I just assumed they'd misspelled "shack" and rolled with it.

Hamusuta said:
It will be because shank is a bad word in europe.

It's not a bad word here, per se, but it's certainly not a name any self-respecting business would call itself.

Here in America a shank is a slang for a homemade knife. Every time I hear shoe shank I laugh a little because I picture a dude waving around a knife made from some old boot.

At the end of the European Nintendo Direct...

http://youtu.be/e3QjS7iizJU

What does it say at the "R-Parkers" shop?
Can't really read it... R.. O... I.... 4??? r.jpg

EDIT: I think it's Korean, yeah... why did they use this graphic in the European Direct

Last edited:
That's that ancient alien hieroglyphics junk. They're actually extra terrestrials disguised as alpacas in the European version.

Consider the R-Parkers/Re-tail owners are suppose to be a married couple..... Them being different animals would make that less believable.

Shank is already named Kicks in CF.
So the whole thing of Shoe Shank becoming Kicks' Kicks makes sense to me.

Re-tail is a nice name, although I liked R.Parkers better. I felt really disapointed when I saw Shizue was named Isabella. They should have named her something different. I thought it could be Boom (wordplay on BoomBoom from the Flinstones) because the bone she wears in her hair. Kick's kicks is a fun name. Nooklings Junction is cute too!

...I feel like I've got the most unpopular opinions here, but I'll go ahead and post them anyway.

I'm rather glad that changing R. Parkers to Re-Tail, because every time I see that, I can't help but to think of the artist (Ray Parker, Jr.) of the Ghostbusters theme song. Maybe that's just me thogh, hahaha.

Shizue being renamed to Isabelle/Isabella is rather nice, actually. I love that name. It's got that assistant-type vibe to it, and I think it just plain suits her well. I can kind of see why they wanted to stay away from Shizue in America, though, since she's a Shi Tzu, put the first letter of the second word and the end of the first and what do you get?
(Yeah, I know it seems a little immature to think that way, but we gotta remember. Most of us are not in the main Animal Crossing demographic. I know I'm not at almost 22, but hey. I still love the series.)

I've heard Lisa's name is being changed to Reece. I personally don't care, both names are nice. Reece is a bit out there, but it's nothing too horrible. In fact, I find it pretty unique.

And Kaizo's name to Cyrus? I like that. It's a b.a. name for a b.a. type character.

Hmmm...
I personally liked R. Parkers better because it was a super cute pun for alpacas. ; v ;
I'm okay with Re-Tail, though.
I'm okay with them naming Shizu "Isabelle".
I'm not too happy that they named Lisa, "Reese". >: They could have just left it as "Lisa".

In any case, if you don't like the way they named things you can always just refer to them the way you want to. c:

...I feel like I've got the most unpopular opinions here, but I'll go ahead and post them anyway.

I'm rather glad that changing R. Parkers to Re-Tail, because every time I see that, I can't help but to think of the artist (Ray Parker, Jr.) of the Ghostbusters theme song. Maybe that's just me thogh, hahaha.

Shizue being renamed to Isabelle/Isabella is rather nice, actually. I love that name. It's got that assistant-type vibe to it, and I think it just plain suits her well. I can kind of see why they wanted to stay away from Shizue in America, though, since she's a Shi Tzu, put the first letter of the second word and the end of the first and what do you get?
(Yeah, I know it seems a little immature to think that way, but we gotta remember. Most of us are not in the main Animal Crossing demographic. I know I'm not at almost 22, but hey. I still love the series.)

I've heard Lisa's name is being changed to Reece. I personally don't care, both names are nice. Reece is a bit out there, but it's nothing too horrible. In fact, I find it pretty unique.

And Kaizo's name to Cyrus? I like that. It's a b.a. name for a b.a. type character.

I agree with everything you've said! I'm happy with all the names they've given us, and although it will be weird for me to get used to the names, I'm sure I'll grow to love them just like I did with all the English names. And I'm also in the minority who prefers club 101 to club 444.

Am I going to have to explain the change from Risa to Reese AGAIN? Risa is what the Japanese call her as there is no L sound in Japan; she was never called Lisa- that was just a rough translation. The word recycle in Japanese is risaikuru, so the closest name that goes into Recycle and makes a pun of it is Reese. Reesecycle. It also fits into the name of Re-tail (Recycle Retail or Reese's Tail) on the sign- if they kept it as the literal translation, they would have to redesign the logo of R. Parker's, which is an R that resembles a llama or alpaca, which would make no sense as an L and which is also a pattern in the Nintendo village. Add to the fact that in both English and Japanese the name of the shop is a pun along similar lines; similar to Tansu ni attansu (It was in the drawer) and Do drawers wear drawers? from Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on the GBA.

Don't complain about Shizu's name changed to Isabelle.

Isabelle is cute.

What is far from cute is her Italian name: FUFFI (it's the dumbest dog name here, nobody really names his dog Fuffi but it's the typical dog name you hear in commercials or movies).

Seriously guys, don't complain :(

I like Isabelle and Cyrus. Not too fussed on Reese, though.

Also some villager names have been revealed.

Blue deer = Bruce
Yellow deer = Lopez
Hippo = Hippeux *facepalm*

I like all the names. Just will take awhile to get used to them from watching all the Japanese gameplays.

I like all the re-names.
Risa getting renamed to Reese made me laugh abit.

Reese - Reese's Re-Tail - *giggling cutely* Reese's pieces!

Isabelle/Isabella is a cute rename.
I also like the name Cyrus alot.
Lopez and Bruce are cool names.

Though Hippeux? Really? That name is abit odd. Even for any AC character.

Back