Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Froggy Snowman
Blue Train Engine
Sleek Train Car
Cute Train Car
Floral Train Car
Yellow Caboose
MASSIVE UPDATE.
I started drawing with le mouse on my new laptop. My first piece (sorry I cannot resize for the life of me)
Wolfie_zpsmkxk0vyt.png
I know it isn't that good. But it is my first laptop= mouse drawing. So yeah
I used firealpaca and I really love that, so if anyone has any more tips, please tell me!
I am also planning to get a drawing tablet for christmas.

Last edited:
Shading should be fine, but I think it should be on on part or parts and sides for making it realistic.

i think you should work on shading, shading can either make or break a good art, especially if you want to be realistic

There's a lot you can improve on. From what you're showing us, there's no structure and basis for what you're trying to go for. I don't see a style yet. So you'll want to start at the foundations of human anatomy, namely facial structure. Even cartoonized characters follow the basics of facial structure and nationality. You can find reference for the bone and muscular structure of a nationality's face by using google. For this example though, I'll refer to a basic tutorial on what makes a face diverse.

face_patterns_tutorial_by_snigom.jpg

On the topmost example you'll see curves and lines that signify measurements between point A and B. Namely, distance from ears to eyes, level of the earlobe being on par with the curve of the nose, and so on. In the world of self portraits and characterizations, you have to seriously consider what makes a face distinguishable from other faces. Does the person have large lips? Do they have over-accentuated folds of the eye?

Let's look at more examples:

biggie-smalls-caricature.jpg

This is a caricature of Biggie Smalls, a great example of your basic cartooning. The person had enormous lips, a stretched face, and his eyes made him look constantly angry because of how sunken-in they were. While the features are greatly exaggerated, you have here a distinguishable image because everyone recognizes these features of the person, and therefore can say "oh this looks like Biggie!"

biggie-smalls-the-illest.jpg

This is an actual photo of the man for reference. Notice all of the distinguishable features being visible in the caricature. This is a good way to think about where you would want to go with a cartooned drawing of yourself. You need to think more three-dimensionally about your appearance, and work with what you figure out to make your images more life-like.

attachment.php
\

Also Eyebrows, and hair.

That's what I noticed

Last edited:
As a general rule, no part of the body is a straight line. if you look at even you forearm, you'll see it's got a slight curve to it. when drawing humans, using straight lines to draw their anatomy makes them look a lot less alive.

When you're shading imagine the light coming from one side.

Then make the side with hte light shining on it brighter. Then imagine what parts would block out the light. You then shade the opposite side of that to make it look like the light is making a shadow.

The hair is lopsided, and the shading just seems like you scribbled it on...
The head is a bit big compared to the shoulders, because your shoulders are not the size of your ear span.
work on your eye composure so that the eyes are at the same level.
Just work on anatomy overall!
i know youre using your finger on an ipad, I used to use my finger on my Iphone...
Maybe you have the wrong app?
Try Ibis Paint X its a great program for art like yours.

The hair is lopsided, and the shading just seems like you scribbled it on...
The head is a bit big compared to the shoulders, because your shoulders are not the size of your ear span.
work on your eye composure so that the eyes are at the same level.
Just work on anatomy overall!
i know youre using your finger on an ipad, I used to use my finger on my Iphone...
Maybe you have the wrong app?
Try Ibis Paint X its a great program for art like yours.

I'm using that app! That's not harsh xD.
Yeah I might try to make it more even :p. I'm going to try a full body.
Yep, I am but I'm getting a laptop soon! Might get Paint Sai.

In my opinion, the shading could use a bit of work. It's better than anything I could do, but I feel it needs more curved lines. Eyes could be farther away and the part of the face covered in hair could be a bit more spacious. The neck could also be a bit thinner. Anatomy is key! You'll see what I mean in this spoiler.
something_for_slammint_by_tinyhachi-d96hocm.png
Practice makes perfecto! I hope this helped. :3

Last edited:
A lot of beginners start out with anime..
I HATE anime style
I suggest trying realistic and you'll become better at anatomy quicker.

I HATE anime style

I suggest starting out with trying to draw pokemons. Some of them have similar physiques to humans and some provide weird shapes that can help you get used to drawing certain things like patterns or shapes.

In my opinion, the shading could use a bit of work. It's better than anything I could do, but I feel it needs more curved lines. Eyes could be farther away and the part of the face covered in hair could be a bit more spacious. The neck could also be a bit thinner. Anatomy is key! You'll see what I mean in this spoiler.
something_for_slammint_by_tinyhachi-d96hocm.png
Practice makes perfecto! I hope this helped. :3
Ahh thanks! I always struggle with shading

- - - Post Merge - - -

I HATE anime style

I can't really do realistic stuff yet

- - - Post Merge - - -

I suggest starting out with trying to draw pokemons. Some of them have similar physiques to humans and some provide weird shapes that can help you get used to drawing certain things like patterns or shapes.

I don't play Pokemon, but that's a good idea! Thanks

Back