how can I improve? MASSIVE BUMP AND UPDATE

Took some of your tips, and this!
image.jpg1_zpssc74htbd.jpg

Not that good but :/

Your art is great, especially for a beginner. It's somewhat similar to mine when I started. And you can always improve like I did.
It's good that you started with the keep keep eyes an eyes width apart (image 3 eye next to each other and the miss out the middle one). Try drawing different eye styles, the ones that you're using can look very basic. Something cartoony that resembles the human eye often looks very good. Something like these:

3-anime-drawing1.jpg
3Hw8FnxAVUg.jpg

So, rounded eyes, or if you continue to draw eyes similar to yours then put the top and the bottom of the eyes and curve those lids a little, and make them smaller!

Look at mouth shapes too. The mouth will end at the pupils. And the shoulders need to be wider, they are bigger than the width of the head. Try drawing black and white images before drawing ones with colour. It will help you with drawing the natural waves of hair without trying to draw the awkward ends to fill in. Hair, even if it is straight, is never a straight line, there is always a curve when it falls for the scalp. The human body is a bunch of curves, even if some are slight. Always add curves on the chin!

BIG TIP THAT HELPED ME A LOT: Look at the shapes, not the thing itself. If you think 'Right, drawing an eye' you will draw a typical eye. I you think 'Right, need to draw this curve over the top of this circle' you will draw what you're thinking. Shapes, m'dear, they
are the key to art

Hope this helped

Last edited:
Your art is great, especially for a beginner. It's somewhat similar to mine when I started. And you can always improve like I did.
It's good that you started with the keep keep eyes an eyes width apart (image 3 eye next to each other and the miss out the middle one). Try drawing different eye styles, the ones that you're using can look very basic. Something cartoony that resembles the human eye often looks very good. Something like these:

View attachment 143990
View attachment 143991

So, rounded eyes, or if you continue to draw eyes similar to yours then put the top and the bottom of the eyes and curve those lids a little, and make them smaller!

Look at mouth shapes too. The mouth will end at the pupils. And the shoulders need to be wider, they are bigger than the width of the head. Try drawing black and white images before drawing ones with colour. It will help you with drawing the natural waves of hair without trying to draw the awkward ends to fill in. Hair, even if it is straight, is never a straight line, there is always a curve when it falls for the scalp. The human body is a bunch of curves, even if some are slight. Always add curves on the chin!

BIG TIP THAT HELPED ME A LOT: Look at the shapes, not the thing itself. If you think 'Right, drawing an eye' you will draw a typical eye. I you think 'Right, need to draw this curve over the top of this circle' you will draw what you're thinking. Shapes, m'dear, they
are the key to art

Hope this helped
Ahh thanks! It helped a lot!
:D. Thank you!

Your art is good, you have potential! But it does look like you could use some improvement. When you first start to really get into art, your medium shouldn't be an obstacle for you. Right now you're using an iPad I think, and that can make it more difficult than it needs to be.
That doesn't mean it's impossible to do well without a drawing tablet. (I've actually got an old acquaintance who drew a lot of here best stuff with a mouse! [example]) But to me it seems that you're iPad is inadequate for the drawings you're doing. I would suggest going back to traditional art first. Redraw the stuff you did in digital maybe, and see what you like and don't like about drawing with a pencil. Once you feel that you've made improvement, and that art is something you care about, invest in a pen tablet. (i recommend wacom)
This is just what I've done in the past. I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:
Your art is good, you have potential! But it does look like you could use some improvement. When you first start to really get into art, your medium shouldn't be an obstacle for you. Right now you're using an iPad I think, and that can make it more difficult than it needs to be.
That doesn't mean it's impossible to do well without a drawing tablet. (I've actually got an old acquaintance who drew a lot of here best stuff with a mouse! [example]) But to me it seems that you're iPad is inadequate for the drawings you're doing. I would suggest going back to traditional art first. Redraw the stuff you did in digital maybe, and see what you like and don't like about drawing with a pencil. Once you feel that you've made improvement, and that art is something you care about, invest in a pen tablet. (i recommend wacom)
This is just what I've done in the past. I hope it works out for you!

Ahh, I was thinking of getting the Wacom Small Tablet and pen thing :3. Yeah my iPad is pretty bad :/. I did do some traditional but I left my drawing stuff at my dads and I'm at my mums now. :p. I don't even have a laptop so yeah I'm getting one of them soon as well.

remember to fit eye whites somewhere - i always forgot to add that when i started out d: i think it looks a little more put together that way

Get better at drawing on paper first, then your digital art will improve ~
Don't invest so much money on a tablet that you won't use in the long run

Last edited:
Get better at drawing on paper first, then your digital art will improve ~
Don't invest so much money on a tablet that you won't use in the long run

This club I went to when I was younger had a digital tablet, and I used it all the time. I'm getting fed up of wasting paper and stuff xD. It's not going to be a waste.

If digital art is something you wish to continue, you should definitely invest in a drawing tablet. I use a wacom bamboo tablet and I really enjoy it :)

Also, while drawing try to use references. Practice drawing from real life and soon enough you won't need them! There are lot's of resources online for practicing anatomy! Good luck ^^

If digital art is something you wish to continue, you should definitely invest in a drawing tablet. I use a wacom bamboo tablet and I really enjoy it :)

Also, while drawing try to use references. Practice drawing from real life and soon enough you won't need them! There are lot's of resources online for practicing anatomy! Good luck ^^
Ahh thanks! Yep thinking of the Wacom small tablet and pen. :3

No offence, but personally your art isn't good. In my opinion it just looks amateurish... I did stuff like that when I was 10.

So! I'd like to say somethings!

For a newbie, your art is really good, and if you work at it and keep trying you can get better quickly. If you use an Ipad, you can by Wacom pens that basically turn your iPad into a tablet! A good example of an artist who uses an iPad is Prabha, I couldn't even tell she used an ipad!
As others have said, the shading seems scribbled. Try drawing curves, and then fulling them in if you cant blend! Also, No part of the body is straight! In addition, the head should be curved and the eyes need schlera. Hair seems a bit flat, try letting your pen run instead of it being straight and jagged, and with the girl also remember that there is hair BEHIND the neck too!

Once again, practice makes perfect.
I'll show one of my pieces as an example of what practice does!
nE4PcC0.png

I did that painting on Tuesday,
jWL6SjW.png

And I recoloured it a day later after practicing some more, and watching some tutorials and streams.

Basically, keep trying, work on anatomy, and watch streams of professional artists to see how they do it! Good luck!

No offence, but personally your art isn't good. In my opinion it just looks amateurish... I did stuff like that when I was 10.

Lol yeah same. I guess it's because I haven't practised at all since that age.
XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

So! I'd like to say somethings!

For a newbie, your art is really good, and if you work at it and keep trying you can get better quickly. If you use an Ipad, you can by Wacom pens that basically turn your iPad into a tablet! A good example of an artist who uses an iPad is Prabha, I couldn't even tell she used an ipad!
As others have said, the shading seems scribbled. Try drawing curves, and then fulling them in if you cant blend! Also, No part of the body is straight! In addition, the head should be curved and the eyes need schlera. Hair seems a bit flat, try letting your pen run instead of it being straight and jagged, and with the girl also remember that there is hair BEHIND the neck too!

Once again, practice makes perfect.
I'll show one of my pieces as an example of what practice does!
nE4PcC0.png

I did that painting on Tuesday,
jWL6SjW.png

And I recoloured it a day later after practicing some more, and watching some tutorials and streams.

Basically, keep trying, work on anatomy, and watch streams of professional artists to see how they do it! Good luck!

Ahh thanks! I will keep trying ^_^.

Back