How to increase odds of getting Raymond (or anyone!)

Well, I gave this a go tonight. I didn't have a cranky and Butch was in the campsite. Even though I like Bubbles, I want a different peppy, so I reset Butch's move until he was kicking out Bubbles. Now, I should be getting peppies in my tent. I'm not going to TT, so it probably won't be a fast process, but at least my odds are higher now.
Could you please explain how you reset Butch’s move until he chose the villager you wanted to replace? Going to try this with my next camper.

i rarely see a cranky before but finally got a snooty on the island..... so yeah, finally have all except cranky. this could be legit and i hope i meet static.

So what you're say is that because I don't have any smug villagers currently, he might just come to my town? Welp I'm gonna need new eyeballs after I tear them out seeing that quack

If only I could get villagers in my campsite! TT v TT I haven't gotten one since the start of the game. 😩

Could you please explain how you reset Butch’s move until he chose the villager you wanted to replace? Going to try this with my next camper.

Yeah, he said, "Is Rudy thinking of moving?" so I hit the Home button and closed the game without saving (by pushing the X button; I have been told you have to do this before his dialog concludes, so don't hit anything but Home when he gives a name). I then went back to the camp and went through all of the dialog again until he agreed to move in and this time he picked Renee. I wouldn't mind her going, but I needed the peppy to go. So, I tried a third time and got lucky and he said Bubbles.

I honestly don't know what would happen if I answered no when he asked if Rudy was thinking of moving. Maybe I then couldn't have him move in? Or maybe he'd insist on kicking out Rudy? I didn't stick around to find out.

I hope this makes sense.

this is valuable information! thank you! So far I had two campers in 2 weeks. Both were peppy. I honestly love campers at 10 villagers because I get to force kick out some random( not so rnaodm) villager for a fresh face. haha I'm totally gonna do this when I hunt for Olivia.

My friend tried this for a few hours, had no snug villagers and it seems so far there was roughly a 33% chance of every campsite visitor being smug.

1. Tex
  2. Wendy (peppy)
  3. Nana (normal)
  4. Jacques
  5. Rory (jock)
  6. Wade (lazy)
  7. Kyle
  8. Pango (peppy)
  9. Monique (snooty)
  10. Graham
  11. Norma (normal)
  12. Kidd
  13. Rocco (cranky)
  14. Ike (cranky)
  15. Murphy (cranky)

Keeping an eye on this thread, I would love to test the theory but I have Marshal on my island who I don't want to trade due to some new glitches :/

Well, my friend gave up for the day but also found Rocket and Plucky, so the smug villagers are even less than one third now...

Interestin', once I get Julian and Beardo (my only smug villagers) out my island, I might try this and see if all goes well.

Like I wouldn't even want Raymond for beneficial reasons, I just love the cat villagers in this game, man.

I was missing both Snooty and Cranky. I remember seeing Timbra, Francine, and Monique then surprisingly saw this cute bear cub Judy on my 13th try. They're all Snooty villagers. I've also seen Boris and Boyd, which are cranky villagers. I probably got a few Smug and Uchi here and there. I honestly couldn't remember all but I guess, somehow, this might be true!

The tent comes every 4-5 days if you are lucky but I feel like it's mostly one tent per week on average (7-9 days). The worst I've experienced was not getting a camper until the 20th day but it only happened once.

Last edited:
I could boot out Savannah and Sprinkle to give this a shot to try for Audie. :unsure: I'm just worried about the trading glitches currently happen since I've had it happen with natural move outs and I want to give Sprinkle to a friend.

Edit: Thought Savannah was Peppy.

is there a way you guys are doing this? i've tt'd up day by day from the current date up to september 6th so about 4 months and i haven't gotten a single camper

Yeah, he said, "Is Rudy thinking of moving?" so I hit the Home button and closed the game without saving (by pushing the X button; I have been told you have to do this before his dialog concludes, so don't hit anything but Home when he gives a name). I then went back to the camp and went through all of the dialog again until he agreed to move in and this time he picked Renee. I wouldn't mind her going, but I needed the peppy to go. So, I tried a third time and got lucky and he said Bubbles.

I honestly don't know what would happen if I answered no when he asked if Rudy was thinking of moving. Maybe I then couldn't have him move in? Or maybe he'd insist on kicking out Rudy? I didn't stick around to find out.

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you! I’ve heard that once they choose someone, they stick with that no matter how many times you talk to them, so I think your method is the only way to get them to change.

Thank you! I’ve heard that once they choose someone, they stick with that no matter how many times you talk to them, so I think your method is the only way to get them to change.

Somebody just did that last night. They said they wanted the animal in their tent, but he wanted to replace Bea, who they wanted to keep. They allowed the game to save, and Bea was then locked in as the only animal he would replace :( It's good to know for the future, though.

Doesn't leaving a plot open risk them adding a random villager in that plot? That's why I wasn't willing to take my chances with the campsite. I have a very lopsided town, though. No cranky or snooty villagers at all. I bet I'd have a high chance of getting one of the wolves I want if I tried this method, but it would take forever.

I've come to the conclusion that this doesn't work. I just had someone move out and so I tried it and some random villager took the open plot after 8 days and I saw one villager in the campsite in an entire month.

Yeah, my friend has done it for 30 campsite visitors now and only 8 were smug. 8 were cranky and 7 were peppy, so I'm not convinced the odds are higher or she just had terrible, terrible luck.

I got my first camper today since having ten animals and all personalities but peppy, and it was Lionel the smugly lion. I have two smugs, so I guess I have to say my first attempt was a failure.

Tbh, the campsite is very unreliable if you already have 10 villagers. This is coming from someone who found both Marshal and Judy there when I was trying to fill up my villager roster. I'm getting campers every 4 to 9 days so it wasn't that long and I tt'd one day at a time to make sure. It was pretty consistent but once my island is full, the campsite became almost useless except for scanning amiibo.

I had instances when I had no tent for 2 to 3 months then it happened again for another month or two. No tent. It was just earlier when I finally got one when I was trying to move one of my normal villagers. It took me 2 months to move her out and in the process, I got 4 campers and three of them are cranky villagers (yes, I was missing a cranky a while ago). I didn't find anyone that I like, sadly. But yeah, I would say that was a lucky streak. Still, I wouldn't rely on my camp. It's probably okay if you have less than 10 villagers since it could respawn villagers a lot more often.

One thing that I like though is that you're not going to feel pressured filling up your empty slot if you prefer resetting villagers using the campsite since you really don't have to set a plot in order for them to come via tent, as compared to hunting your dreamies on the mystery island when you really need to set a plot. But like I said, it could take months before you even get one camper.

Last edited:
Back