Intel discovers way of transferring data through light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jas0n said:
Sorry to break it to you guys, but it'll be a LONG time before this sort of speed comes to internet. You're misunderstanding the point of this.

Think of this as a new type of USB or Harddrive. 1000gigabits per second between two devices, not over the internet.

Either way, this is amazing. The speed of browsing your computer will increase dramatically, not to mention transferring files between 2 computer, your ipod and HD movies/pictures from your camera. And everyone will be able to have it as they hope to get the cost of the chips down to $1 apiece.
Oh, then I don't care about this at all.

Jas0n said:
Sorry to break it to you guys, but it'll be a LONG time before this sort of speed comes to internet. You're misunderstanding the point of this.

Think of this as a new type of USB or Harddrive. 1000gigabits per second between two devices, not over the internet.

Either way, this is amazing. The speed of browsing your computer will increase dramatically, not to mention transferring files between 2 computer, your ipod and HD movies/pictures from your camera. And everyone will be able to have it as they hope to get the cost of the chips down to $1 apiece.
Yeah, I was thinking. There's no way the'd be able to get the internet to go that fast.

L Lawliet said:
Jas0n said:

You should care about this. The speed of your computer highly depends on how fast it can fetch information for your harddrive, imagine how much faster you'll be able to load up games and applications, not to mention delete and move files, and transferring them between computers.

And then as I mentioned the moving of songs to your ipod, files to your external harddrive and pictures/movies off your camera. It'll literally take a second instead of waiting for god knows how long.

Jas0n said:
L Lawliet said:
Jas0n said:

You should care about this. The speed of your computer highly depends on how fast it can fetch information for your harddrive, imagine how much faster you'll be able to load up games and applications, not to mention delete and move files, and transferring them between computers.

And then as I mentioned the moving of songs to your ipod, files to your external harddrive and pictures/movies off your camera. It'll literally take a second instead of waiting for god knows how long.
Now I care a bit.

This sounds absolutely amazing! Imagine how nice computers and possibly the internet will become with this technology! ^_^

so now ddr3 is outdated/underpowered, speed wise, instead of just something overly-powerful/useless, with this tech coming out?

holy *censored.2.0*, $1 for the chip? by when, years from now, or within a month of it's release? :eek:!!!

Psychonaut said:
so now ddr3 is outdated/underpowered, speed wise, instead of just something overly-powerful/useless, with this tech coming out?

holy *censored.2.0*, $1 for the chip? by when, years from now, or within a month of it's release? :eek:!!!
No idea, all the article says is:
Although telecommunications systems already transmit data with light beams, the equipment used to send or receive that information can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, Rattner said. By contrast, he said, Intel hopes to get the cost of its photonic chips down to $1 apiece.

gotcha. high hopes = shattered dreams, so I'll assume it'll cost $400,000 dollars.

still, holy *censored.2.0* @ that speed. and if/when they end up implementing this into larger scale networking, oh god. computing at the speed of light. srsly. :eek:!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back