• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Is it worth it to play the older games?

Captain Avian

Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Holiday Candy Cane 2018
Red Candy
Green Candy
So I've gotten a bit bored of new leaf, but I wanna keep playing animal crossing.

Are the older games worth playing? I know new leaf has the most features and stuff to do, so are the old games boring?

It's all up to you omo, try it out and see if you enjoy playing them? I was obsessed with City Folk at one point but only because of online play but really its just what you enjoy :)

Last edited:
I'd say Population Growing is a must as to all the cut things in it now.
Wild World and City Folk border on passable for me, but it's very minor things as to why.
As the previous poster said, it's up to you.

I would recommend playing Gamecube for sure. To my knowledge, it is fairly easy to obtain through emulator, so if you want to check it out, using one of those might be a good idea. Personally, I still play in my Gamecube town, and I haven't gotten bored of it. I find it's a lot more relaxed than later games, so I never experience burnout.

This video shows a lot of removed features in Gamecube. Be warned, it does contain spoilers if you want to experience those events for yourself.

Other than Gamecube, I personally stopped playing City Folk years ago. I think it was a good game, but New Leaf almost completely overshadows it at this point. If you are accustomed to playing New Leaf, I'm not sure how much you would actually enjoy this game. Wild World even more so, as I think it is the weakest entry in the AC series.

City Folk has one thing that none of the other games in the series have that I adore - not only are the graphics absolutely gorgeous, but all villagers look so much more cute when they have the stubby/short body types. I love it. Something I have never liked about New Leaf is that they made everyone taller. However, I do not play City Folk very often because I don't find it to be very interesting.

Like the people above have stated, I would recommend the GameCube one- I never get tired of how much personality each villager has in that installment of the series. While New Leaf has the most features, talking to villagers gets tiring when they have such repetitive dialogue. Population Growing for the GameCube nailed the personalities for each villager, and it gives the game so much more life without stale dialogue. I highly recommend playing it, as I enjoy it very much myself :D

Last edited:
Well if I could go back and play any of them I'd play the gamecube one! Not that the others were particularly boring or anything!

I would say it is worth playing the older games because even if they may be outdated
compared to New Leaf, they still however offer you another experiences. Villagers for
example have different dialogues and also act different (and represents their personalities
much better then the water down versions of them in New leaf *cough*). There are some
events that aren't in NL anymore like the flea market or also shops and buildings like the
observatory (still a shame that it isn't in NL anymore) and so on. I think it is also interesting
to play the older games as you can see how Animal Crossing developed over the time and
how much changed.

So yeah, if you have the chance to play the older Animal Crossing games then I would
go for it.

I personally just started playing AC GCN and I really love it! If you're only used to New Leaf, the villagers' personalities can be a bit shocking at first, but to me, it makes them more endearing. I really do recommend it!

Definitely. Wild World and City Folk have less to do than New Leaf so they might get boring quickly (but I think they're still worth a try, especially Wild World) but Population Growing is quite unique as the others have said!

Back