• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

I've never found a villager so off-putting...

Wow, and love it. I could use a dirt bag like that on my island just for a little of excitement. I'm sure that I would be kicking his sorry butt off the island after awhile, but for now lets sign him up. On the search for Paolo now. LOL

I do find that just due to the way the rng plays out especially initially, I can feel really differently about two villagers of the same type (and subtype). And it really can build a different picture of the villager in your head of that particular villager, even when/ if you experience the same dialogue. To me it is a mix of luck on what the first few more elaborate bits of dialogue you get, the way the villager reactions come across, and other little ransoms accidents of coincidence. Although I didn’t find him terrible, I had that experience with Lionel and then Graham. They are both smugs of the same type. I didn’t hate Lionel, but a lot of his dialogue for whatever reason came across and weirdly flirty and I did not like that, it made him seem kind of gross at times. But Graham always just seemed so sweet and innocent and loveably dorky to me. I know they had the same dialogue and same reactions to things, but the parts that stuck out to me and how they came across was totally different.

On your Paulo experience, I admit I find the lazy dialogue most charming when they are talking about the weirdest stuff, but I can understand it is not for everyone!

I also enjoy when Genji tells me how he likes to sleep in his own sweat soaked clothing because he finds the smell comforting (or something like that) 😅
This is how I feel about Keaton vs O’Hare and Henry. All 3 are smug. Keaton was the camper they force you to keep. I couldn’t stand him: constant flirting, telling me that he dreams about me, Hazel was my enemy and when I found her in his house he said he set up a meeting for me with her. I was like ummm no. This was in the beginning of the game so it has been awhile, but I used to have a long list of things he did that freaked me out. Finally I got a cute camper (Mint) and she booted him out.

my only two other smugs have been Henry and more recently O’Hare. Thankfully they don’t have all of his dialogue. But even dialogue they do share I feel like they deliver it differently than Keaton so I’m not bothered.

Anybody else harboring a dirtbag right now?
I love this sentence lmao.

I have to admit, Paolo sounds like they are on another level compared to any lazy villager i've had. Yeah - they are all generally a bit questionable when it comes to personal hygiene but Paolo is living in a literal toilet? Upsetting and requires legal action.

Lazy is still one of my favourite personality types but i'll be keeping a close eye on Bobs habits now after reading this.

...as I do Paolo.

Generally when I go island hopping, I'll automatically settle on a WA villager I don't have the amiibo card for since they're rare/expensive. This past weekend I found Paolo, so I moved him in. The days following his unpacking have gone like this:

This is easily the dirtiest lazy I've ever encountered lol He'll also be breaking the record for the shortest time I've let a villager live on my island.

Anybody else harboring a dirtbag right now?

I agree 100%. I've had Paolo before and really did not care for him. His bathtub is nice though. Also, I don't like the kind of eyebrows on villagers that Paolo and Truffles have.

Wow, and love it. I could use a dirt bag like that on my island just for a little of excitement. I'm sure that I would be kicking his sorry butt off the island after awhile, but for now lets sign him up. On the search for Paolo now. LOL
My third scan in of Monique will be tomorrow...so if you want him (or anybody else wants him for that matter) if you can get a plot open by tomorrow he's all yours.

I do find that just due to the way the rng plays out especially initially, I can feel really differently about two villagers of the same type (and subtype). And it really can build a different picture of the villager in your head of that particular villager, even when/ if you experience the same dialogue. To me it is a mix of luck on what the first few more elaborate bits of dialogue you get, the way the villager reactions come across, and other little ransoms accidents of coincidence. Although I didn’t find him terrible, I had that experience with Lionel and then Graham. They are both smugs of the same type. I didn’t hate Lionel, but a lot of his dialogue for whatever reason came across and weirdly flirty and I did not like that, it made him seem kind of gross at times. But Graham always just seemed so sweet and innocent and loveably dorky to me. I know they had the same dialogue and same reactions to things, but the parts that stuck out to me and how they came across was totally different.

On your Paulo experience, I admit I find the lazy dialogue most charming when they are talking about the weirdest stuff, but I can understand it is not for everyone!

I also enjoy when Genji tells me how he likes to sleep in his own sweat soaked clothing because he finds the smell comforting (or something like that) 😅

In NL, I thought Keaton’s comments seemed kinda flirty and so he creeped me out. I thought maybe I misinterpreted it. And I have always wondered why I liked some villagers of certain personalities, but didn’t like others (beyond the design)? Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That actually helped clear up my thoughts a bit :). I admit back in NL I didn’t like smugs for awhile because of Keaton or some of the other personalities because of that one (along with the fact I may have wanted them to move 😅). My perception has changed of the smug villagers overall (as well as the other personalities I didn’t like) thanks to the community and now realizing that some have different vibes. You gave me something to think about now.

I have been up in the air about Paolo; for the longest time I didn’t like any of the elephants and now I’m liking some and I was thinking I maybe liked Paolo. Now I think I will reserve my judgment when and if I cycle him. 😅 The dialogue doesn’t bother me (except the bugs) since I usually don’t pay much attention anymore to the dialogue sadly. But that is definitely understandably gross to hear/see. ><

In NL, I thought Keaton’s comments seemed kinda flirty and so he creeped me out. I thought maybe I misinterpreted it. And I have always wondered why I liked some villagers of certain personalities, but didn’t like others (beyond the design)? Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That actually helped clear up my thoughts a bit :). I admit back in NL I didn’t like smugs for awhile because of Keaton or some of the other personalities because of that one (along with the fact I may have wanted them to move 😅). My perception has changed of the smug villagers overall (as well as the other personalities I didn’t like) thanks to the community and now realizing that some have different vibes. You gave me something to think about now.

I have been up in the air about Paolo; for the longest time I didn’t like any of the elephants and now I’m liking some and I was thinking I maybe liked Paolo. Now I think I will reserve my judgment when and if I cycle him. 😅 The dialogue doesn’t bother me (except the bugs) since I usually don’t pay much attention anymore to the dialogue sadly. But that is definitely understandably gross to hear/see. ><
He's gonna be in boxes tomoooorooooowwww.....you know you waaaaant hiiiiimmmm....

gift it to paolo as a going-away present
Just want to throw in, that as tempting as that may be, I would not as if you play with anyone else, they could end up in that person's move in queue and then be ruined for them.

Paolo is one of my permanent villagers and I like him lol.

Don't do him dirty like that. :'(

Poor Paolo, that sounds like a mess. Why did they make him live in a bathroom??? I think the other yuckiest house is that bird who literally lives in a dump (trash wallpaper and flooring).

As for my most off-putting villager, it would probably be Charlise since in Happy Home Designer she asks to live amongst trash and specifically requests putting several rafflesia (the most disgusting flower in the world, smells so bad it attracts flies and other gross insects). I've hated Charlise ever since.....

This is so relatable. The lazies going from simple snack-happy layabouts to proud unhygienic slobs has made them fall from my favourite personality to most disliked. I only keep Raddle around because I'm a scientist IRL and enjoy his gimmicks.
It made them one of my favourite personalities.
It has however ruined some lazy villagers for me.

Punchy had to get kicked off my island because it did not match his cool dude vibes and he felt like a joke.
Sherb and egbert (my 2 lazies) fit the current lazy personality perfectly imo.

So while I love how they are currently and don't want to see them ever change... they probably should in later entries. Or make punchy a smug. That works too

Back