• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Leaving quietly can wipe your save data?

Agreed. This shouldn't happen. One of the JP players did say, however, that Nintendo has been notified about this issue. I hope the affected ENG players reported this too so it can boost awareness and it's not just JP players experiencing it.

Glad nothing bad happened to your save though!
The group of people I was playing with are actually people that used to work at Nintendo or currently work at Nintendo so I'm actually going to let them know about it, just in case.

I have heard this going around, but I didn't know if it was actually true or not. But i always make sure people who visit me exit through the airport. I have only used the - button like once or twice to boot people off who wouldn't leave. I'm also always exiting through airport on other people's islands. I'm going to be extra careful now o.o

Question, does this happen when KICKING someone from your island via - or just leaving from someone elses with -?

Question, does this happen when KICKING someone from your island via - or just leaving from someone elses with -?
I haven't heard such cases from hosts but only guest players. While that's untested, it's best to not use it when there's more than two people. I've stress tested the - button to several multiplayer instances (around 100 trades) and pressing the - button to kick one guest luckily does not trigger it (to both parties).

It might be a small data but I really need some sort of spare to hard test some current theories. I'm just glad it doesn't affect both guest and host's saves if it's just one on one.
Post automatically merged:

I have heard this going around, but I didn't know if it was actually true or not. But i always make sure people who visit me exit through the airport. I have only used the - button like once or twice to boot people off who wouldn't leave. I'm also always exiting through airport on other people's islands. I'm going to be extra careful now o.o
While people created fake bugs on Twitter, it's normal to feel skeptical. I checked the English side of Twitter and I heard more cases happening and few cases documented on Reddit. At least, for those who doubts this case still, there's a more readable ones to base their thoughts on.

It's best to be careful indeed! There's really nothing to fear, it's just awareness that there's a chance it might happen but, this glitch tends to be very specific and not as easily replicated (unless you heavily rely on multiplayer).

Last edited:
This is good to know. Frustrating, but still good to know. I've done trades where I attempted to walk back to the airport (even announcing it before I started walking, lol) and the person would either end the session on their side before I could, or ask me why I didn't just hit the minus button to leave quietly. And I had only stopped doing that because I heard vague rumors that it was "unstable" to do so, but seeing proof in this thread cements it in my mind.

Possible data wipe or corruption is a huge deal. I really hope someone at Nintendo is working on it.

This is good to know. Frustrating, but still good to know. I've done trades where I attempted to walk back to the airport (even announcing it before I started walking, lol) and the person would either end the session on their side before I could, or ask me why I didn't just hit the minus button to leave quietly. And I had only stopped doing that because I heard vague rumors that it was "unstable" to do so, but seeing proof in this thread cements it in my mind.

Possible data wipe or corruption is a huge deal. I really hope someone at Nintendo is working on it.
Good that you were careful about it! and Nintendo is notified! At least all JP people who had this issue banded together to report this. I'm not sure on the ENG players' side. Few only openly admitted to reporting their issue to Nintendo so it's hard to know if we rallied enough people for Nintendo to pay attention.

Good that you were careful about it! and Nintendo is notified! At least all JP people who had this issue banded together to report this. I'm not sure on the ENG players' side. Few only openly admitted to reporting their issue to Nintendo so it's hard to know if we rallied enough people for Nintendo to pay attention.
If NCL is notified about an issue or glitch NOA will be notified as well and will either receive guidance on it or a patch will be worked on.

I'm too afraid to play the game again before Nintendo does something about this or before we get the cloud service that was promised.

I asked have the local Nintendo heard about this, but they just said that Switch Online has the cloud service. I had to tell them that it doesn't support Animal Crossing...

I took a risk and checked what's happening in my town, I don't want anyone to move, even though it felt horrible. And I don't feel like building anything because I'm afraid everything will be destroyed anyway. :(

The earliest mention of someone's destroyed save file that I was able to find was from March, only some days after the game was published. In the comments they mention that same "the save data is damaged" message...

I just wish this was more commonly known. MOST people are respectful and leave via the airport, but not everyone does. It's not just visitors either. I've visited a few people that ended the session with the - button I guess because they got used to doing a similar thing from NL. It ends the session faster and forces a person to go without you having to wait for them to go to the airport. I always immediately go the airport after a trade though, so kinda irritating to see a host pushed - when I'm right in front of the airport door or even in the airport.

I just wish this was more commonly known. MOST people are respectful and leave via the airport, but not everyone does. It's not just visitors either. I've visited a few people that ended the session with the - button I guess because they got used to doing a similar thing from NL. It ends the session faster and forces a person to go without you having to wait for them to go to the airport. I always immediately go the airport after a trade though, so kinda irritating to see a host pushed - when I'm right in front of the airport door or even in the airport.
I know, part of me is tempted to just ask people not to force me out with the "-" button when I visit their island (I do specifically ask people to leave via the airport when they come to mine), but I also feel kind of awkward saying that. It does seem though, at least in my experiences, that people have been just letting me leave through the airport more often than not lately.

But is that the reason? I've heard people to say that they were just playing alone and the next time their save file was gone.

That could've been a different glitch though. We just don't know. The save file corruption thing is rare enough that Nintendo might not be sure what causes it.

Somewhat late response, but this is exactly my concern. I'm actually wondering if this could be related to the Switch hardware issues that were reported with other games.

Back when Super Smash Bros. and Pokemon Sword/Shield came out, there were reports of the games' save files corrupting at random. And it was discovered that the issue wasn't actually with the games themselves, but because of the Switch hardware running into conflicts with SD cards formatted as exFat. It's apparently more common with homebrews, but I've heard it happened to regular SD cards as well.

Granted I do not know if this issue is related to exFat SD cards, since the corruption seems to be more specific and not just randomly occurring as it had with the other games. But regardless, Nintendo never addressed the prior problems so I am a bit fearful they won't address this one either.

I don't think people are doubting save file corruption. There's been multiple pics posted both in English forums and the JP twitter accounts you linked. What I'm more doubtful about is about how we are 100% sure that the corruption is due to leaving via the - button and having the countdown timer expire. It's very hard to prove this being the case and could very well just be a string of coincidences among people with corrupted saves. This doesn't seem like an easy issue to fix which is likely why Nintendo STILL hasn't figured out a solution to it yet.

Back