• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Leaving quietly can wipe your save data?

The Japanese people don't look for clout for something as dire as this. Animal Crossing is serious business to everyone esp. this pandemic, yes, there are people who look for clout but that's predominantly (or often found) on ENG twitter rather than JP. The JP community there are literally grieving at their save files and reading several tweets, people have lost motivation to even start.

If you do wish to know why it has more documented cases in JP, the turnip trading there is more preferred way to make bells than bug catching/fishing/fruit selling or whatever ENG people focus on mostly and turnip trading has to do with LOTS of people coming to an island. They can replicate the issue much more easier because they tend to dabble on multiplayer trades much more often than us. In fact, all my bells came from them.

If any of you all still doubt it despite the proofs presented in the first page, here's a collected blog post.

https://note.com/atsumorifashion/n/n2885299d977d

and a video proof included in that blog if people are too lazy to click on it.

I really can not emphasize this enough; the uploader even say:

"If (you) think this is a hoax, perhaps,would a video convince (everyone)?
I'm getting an error with Isabelle.
...I'm in a trauma right now.

I will observe this until Nintendo responds."

If you don't trust my translation, pop the tweet in Google Translate.

Every documented cases is there. Yes, it's not in English but we shouldn't brush this off. We really shouldn't. (also, Krissi, if you are around, could you also attach the blog and video proof? I'm sorry for bothering so much.)

For your question:
1. Yes, Nintendo is aware but is absolutely clueless. (I translated someone contacting a Nintendo rep.)
2. No, This has been ongoing since April. Recent tweet being posted on May 1st.

That is to avoid going to heavy traffic-islands. Turnip runs are risky. It's best we start a community to do turnip runs by small groups to isolate any cases of data error. It should lessen any high risk. If the session is having too many connection errors, it is best to focus on 1 by 1 if need be. Same applies to DIY gathering.

Also testing this would require a large group of dedicated players with spare Switches because I think risking your main save is a bad idea, and it might involve others as well.
“The japanese people dont look for clout for something as dire as this” is an incredibly bizarre thing to say, but other then that thanks for the info.
Post automatically merged:

Also i never at all said i doubted it! Not even close lmao I just want to know wtf is going on like everyone else. Animal crossing means more to me then I can even say. I even have a kk tattoo. I have been playing since the first game. If my (pretty much completed) island got wiped because I had no idea about this glitch, It would without a doubt bother me and affect my mental illness even more.

“The japanese people dont look for clout for something as dire as this” is an incredibly bizarre thing to say, but other then that thanks for the info.
Probably because people are doubting this and it's personally frustrating to see people feeling depressed and at the verge of quitting the game and it's hard to put an emphasis on it for the other side of the world because of language barriers.

What I said was out of frustration, English is not my first* language so if that was offensive, it wasn't my intention. Though I can't avoid but say that considering most fake bug tweets came from the English-speaking side of Twitter.

Also, for people with any more questions regarding this matter, I'm willing to listen and answer your queries (besides the answer to the error itself) because I'm also gathering any information I can find to find a concrete answer. I'm an avid trader and protecting future trade partners and my own save is my outmost priority. I will share as much information as I can and translate them if need be.

Reactions: Raz
And “esp during this pndemic” idk im agoraphobic (I dont leave the house even without a pandemic) and animal crossings my only source of what its like to actually go outside. I dont blame them for being in termoil over this one bit. I just hope nintendo gets on it if this is whats causing it.

It's best we start a community to do turnip runs by small groups to isolate any cases of data error. It should lessen any high risk. If the session is having too many connection errors, it is best to focus on 1 by 1 if need be. Same applies to DIY gathering.

Also testing this would require a large group of dedicated players with spare Switches because I think risking your main save is a bad idea, and it might involve others as well.
I would love to help do this if it ever becomes a reality but don’t have a spare switch. But this is a good idea and starting point!

It's starting to show how little they playtested the multiplayer aspects and only focused on local play. It's just awful.

In my experience local play is just as bad. My boyfriend has his own game and switch do we use local play a lot, but we have to do whatever it is we're doing quickly otherwise it's basically guaranteed that one of us will "leave quietly". No idea what causes it, we just get connection errors after a while on local play, and it's pretty consistent.

In my experience local play is just as bad. My boyfriend has his own game and switch do we use local play a lot, but we have to do whatever it is we're doing quickly otherwise it's basically guaranteed that one of us will "leave quietly". No idea what causes it, we just get connection errors after a while on local play, and it's pretty consistent.

Keep in mind local play has a limit of about 15 feet. If you leave the room for a different one, you'll crash the connection.

Keep in mind local play has a limit of about 15 feet. If you leave the room for a different one, you'll crash the connection.

We live in the same room as our apartment is shared and our flatmate doesn't like us to use the lounge or dining areas, once it happened while we were sat right next to each other

this is highkey scary. i used to only use “-“ if it was just me and one other player but now i won’t use it at all - this is insane ;w;

this is highkey scary. i used to only use “-“ if it was just me and one other player but now i won’t use it at all - this is insane ;w;
It's alright. It's good to be mindful! This is a very rare glitch so just exercise caution.

I hope they patch this soon. It gives me anxiety about having guests over in case one of them leaves quietly. :(
Same. I had a disconnection during a trade earlier today, and it was so anxiety-inducing. Any other game, I can get over losing my save data. But with AC, it would be incredibly difficult to get everything back to exactly the way you had it before.

Same. I had a disconnection during a trade earlier today, and it was so anxiety-inducing. Any other game, I can get over losing my save data. But with AC, it would be incredibly difficult to get everything back to exactly the way you had it before.
Agreed! When my first 3DS XL broke I nearly had a panic attack because I thought my AC:NL data would be lost. There's just something about how painstaking Animal Crossing is that makes it worse to lose.

Scary.
I have heard of people losing thier 200/300+ hour island from corrupted save data but didnt know how or why. I have been concerned about mine. I figured that maybe thier sd card wasnt formatted right or maybe time traveling played a part. Some of them said it was after the earth day update.

But if it is what is suggested in this thread, im not doing online anymore.
I just hope that the corruption isnt randomly appearing on switches after online activity or updates if the updates even play a part.

Wait so now I have to be scared of losing my save whenever someone quits by the - button??? If I lost my 300+ hour island I don't even know what I would do I'd be devastated beyond repair...

This is... I don't even know how to put words to how I feel about this...

Scary.
I have heard of people losing thier 200/300+ hour island from corrupted save data but didnt know how or why. I have been concerned about mine. I figured that maybe thier sd card wasnt formatted right or maybe time traveling played a part. Some of them said it was after the earth day update.

But if it is what is suggested in this thread, im not doing online anymore.
I just hope that the corruption isnt randomly appearing on switches after online activity or updates if the updates even play a part.
Wait so now I have to be scared of losing my save whenever someone quits by the - button??? If I lost my 300+ hour island I don't even know what I would do I'd be devastated beyond repair...

This is... I don't even know how to put words to how I feel about this...

Being scared is normal but please don't be discouraged while doing online play. I rather want people to take precautions and only join 1 on 1 trades and not join islands that accommodates 5 people or more. The glitch's possibility rises the more people who participates. For local play, both parties must be near enough to keep the connection going.

Leaving via "-" button should be ok as long as you're the only guest player. Leave via DAL if you're with more than 1 people. "-" is very weirdly designed when multi-sessions are ongoing because it force kicks every single participant out.

I had a bunch of friends from a group I'm in leave using the "-" and the timer counted all the way down twice which gave me intense anxiety lol. Nothing happened besides a few people either getting reset or kicked but it's still a little scary that people don't realize this could affect others very badly.

I had a bunch of friends from a group I'm in leave using the "-" and the timer counted all the way down twice which gave me intense anxiety lol. Nothing happened besides a few people either getting reset or kicked but it's still a little scary that people don't realize this could affect others very badly.
Agreed. This shouldn't happen. One of the JP players did say, however, that Nintendo has been notified about this issue. I hope the affected ENG players reported this too so it can boost awareness and it's not just JP players experiencing it.

Glad nothing bad happened to your save though!

Reactions: Raz
I have never heard of anyone getting this issue, but leaving quietly/kicking people out has been known to cause occasional problems. Unless you absolutely have to kick people out, please always let them leave via the airport on their own.

thanks so much for sharing all this information about this, even if we don't fully know what causes it yet... it's pretty scary.

Back