• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Mario Kart 8 Official General Discussion

Gah, somebody PM me about this, this time next week.

Edit:

May be fake. But have a look at this: http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/unused-grand-prix-images-found-through-data-mining.8402/
If it's not fake, then we could be in store for some DLC!

I think it's actually real, or at least if it's fake, they definitely have plans for it. According to the Smash Boards, Nintendo confirmed that they have plans for new DLC in the works. Here's the quote: "Not satisfied with the new DLC? Worry not! Nintendo has announced that new DLC is already in the works!"

In any case, hoping for DLC! :DDD

May be fake. But have a look at this: http://mkboards.com/forums/threads/unused-grand-prix-images-found-through-data-mining.8402/
If it's not fake, then we could be in store for some DLC!

Long theory time! It could be DLC, but when Nintendo does DLC on the Wii U, they have an update right before it to add the data to the game. Why would the pictures be there if they're not DLC yet?
1 thing I want to know is what's BEHIND the pictures? They were taken in courses, so whoever made them has access to the courses, again, not available if there isn't any DLC yet. Also, the backgrounds for the Shine Sprite and Spiny Shell cup are VERY similar.
I'm going with fake.

This is a quote that I saw on a Mario Kart Forum:

"MrBean35000vr has spoken.

From the other Mario Kart site:"Okiedokie, this all spread around faster than we thought it would considering it was posted in like... two Skype groups total. I suppose clarification is in order!

These icons are intended to be used for DLC; or at least, are placeholders for images that may eventually be used. Their filenames from left to right in the image are:

ym_CupIconDLC_00_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_01_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_02_130x130^h.bflim
ym_CupIconDLC_03_130x130^h.bflim

The "DLC" in each name can't really be mistaken. We haven't located the 3D versions that the menus use; but we haven't located any of the 3D cup icons in the first place, so there's no saying they don't exist. Mind you, in their current form, these icons are missing some files that complete cups have, namely some textures used for effects and similar. When we had the game render these, we had to use the mushroom/flower cup's effects, which might have caused small drawing errors. The other files might be downloaded someday if these cup icons are to be used for something!

Also supporting the DLC theory is that the valid track IDs in MK8 start at 0x10 and run to 0x2F. The ones before that, 0x00 - 0x0F are labelled as Reserved00 - Reserved15, exactly 16 slots that are apparently... "reserved". What's 4 x 4, I wonder? And what are they reserved for? ;)

Furthermore, there are 16 full size graphics of 12 Marios on the start line of Mario Circuit, with the word "SAMPLE" plastered across. All of these images are labelled "DLC" as well and are probably placeholders that may one day be replaced with brand new track images.

Of course, we won't know for sure until Nintendo says something.

Also, interesting discoveries, there might be plans for a Shy Guy outfit for Mii, and a Yoshi outfit for Mii. There are placeholder files for those on the disc as well, but when we tried to load them, we merely got a red suited Mii. Very unfortunate. Still might be an indicator of things to come, though!""

̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶D̶L̶C̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶m̶i̶i̶s̶

I don't think we'll get much more than the 3 mercs and general updates anytime soon unless there's other companies after the advertising.

But I'd kind of like to see them bring in new tracks / chars a year down the line or something to make it feel like a new game. ~ at a cost most likely, but it'd be cool to expand the game instead of just drop MK until the next console or release another on Wii U. And it's something they haven't done before.

So the cups are legit??

Cool. Maybe they'll remake Wario Stadium (bearing in mind it's the last Mario Kart 64 stage to be remade) and some other courses (really?)
Personally I'd like to see Ribbon Road and Lakeside park from GBA return. I'd love to see some new courses, too.

I don't know if anyone on here can help me but my Wii Remote isn't working with this game. It was working fine until yesterday. I can still control it with the game pad, but I always used my Wii remote and would like to get this fixed. Thank you.

I really loved Ribbon Road. I remember that the world record was so insane! :eek:

There's a good chance that it won't reappear as a retro course if it was a retro course in another game. Just an FYI.

Anyway, if they are legit, I'd like to see Figure 8 Circuit, Moonview Highway, Dry Dry Ruins, and Wario's Gold Mine make a comeback. Clearly MKW was my first MK game.

There's a good chance that it won't reappear as a retro course if it was a retro course in another game. Just an FYI.

Anyway, if they are legit, I'd like to see Figure 8 Circuit, Moonview Highway, Dry Dry Ruins, and Wario's Gold Mine make a comeback. Clearly MKW was my first MK game.

YES YES YES MOONVIEW HIGHWAY

Ugh. Moonview Highway would just be not cool. We already have Toad's Turnpike...

Figure 8 only makes sense. I'm surprised they didn't add it as a retro course. Moonview Highway.... I don't know. We have Toad's Turnpike. Dry Dry Ruins? We've already got two desert themed courses. Wario's Gold Mine could be interesting but I want to see Wario Colosseum or Wario Stadium (N64)

I don't know if anyone on here can help me but my Wii Remote isn't working with this game. It was working fine until yesterday. I can still control it with the game pad, but I always used my Wii remote and would like to get this fixed. Thank you.
At the start screen, make sure to press A on the controller you'd like to use, in this case the remote. Pressing A on the Gamepad will force you to use the Gamepad, instead of the remote. Hope this helped. :)

But if that wasn't the problem, try to contact Nintendo.

Back