• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

New Leaf servers are apparently shutting down in September

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I just found out that they are shutting down the servers for New Leaf and I am LIVID. IGN wrote an article about this a few days ago (the article is dated Saturday, March 30th) and I'm only JUST NOW finding out. I'm actually surprised no one here mentioned it sooner. I mean.. I know AC Switch is coming this year, and ACNL is basically 6 years old so it kind of makes sense? But it's so unexpected to me...

An excerpt from the article:

"Nintendo of America has just announced that Animal Crossing New Leaf's dedicated servers are shutting down in September of this year. Aya Kyogoku, the director of the game that has captured the hearts of almost 12 million people in the world, posted this on her twitter earlier today (translated):

"Unfortunately, the train station in town will be officially closing in September. It has been a fun ride, but there is now a newer destination on the map! Rover will see you there!"

This could be a hint at the new Animal Crossing Switch title, which has yet to be revealed, but it's clear that Nintendo will be focusing their efforts on the Switch title. Players will no longer be able to travel to faraway towns, visit Tortimer's Island via Club Tortimer, or use the Dream Suite in New Leaf. However, local connection will still work, so if you are in the same room with a friend, Porter will still allow you to visit.

Although this is very sad news for mayors everywhere, this could mean very big things for the eagerly awaited successor in the series..."

So I guess the silver lining is that it seems like AC Switch is not going to be delayed? But I'm still SUPER disappointed :'( There was a thread here about whether or not you'd abandon your New Leaf town once the new game came out, and I said I wouldn't. I planned to sometimes help out the community with my amiibo cards, but I guess that's no longer an option. I guess if Nintendo put their two cents into that thread, they would say a BIG FAT YES, they would abandon New Leaf in favour of the new game. I feel so betrayed...Well I guess I'll be seeing you guys in the next game after September.. It's been a good run.

Anyway, if you guys wanna read the whole article, here is the link, although I've already included the only part that matters, imo.

Nintendo quickly caved in after the uproar on Twitter though, so they will keep it active but access will now cost $30 a month. Seems fair!

Really? I heard Dream Towns will still be active, they were going to partner with EA on it I think. No monthly fee, but a $10 charge each update & to cut down on inactives, they purge towns each day.

You’ll also need to pay 5k bells to even get in the suite :(

I read your link and the article shocked me. Can’t believe they’re doing this to us, I put so much time and effort into my town :(

Ahhh I’m so disappointed.
I had plans to finish my town....
But I’ll probably be done by then and no one will be able to even see it :mad:

At least this indicates that AC Switch will be coming out before September, at least. I hope so...

i feel like these things are shutting down earlier and earlier...the ds wifi at least waited a couple years after the release of the 3ds. or does this mean that all online 3ds activity is going to be ceased too?

- - - Post Merge - - -

never mind. i clicked the link. i have been Foolish and Deluded

although to be honest i think we'll be lucky to be able to keep playing new leaf online for long after the switch game is released...

This can't be happening. I just started my town-it was so fun.. Why would they do this?! Does this mean the end of the DS? Like with the WII, they shut down servers and eventually closed off most of the features..

:mad::mad::mad: so unfair!!!!! i will never buy another nintendo product again!!!!!!!!!1

(I just hope that someone will find a workaround once it eventually happens)

I wonder how many of figured out this was an April Fools joke and how many of us fell for it and how many went along with it to further plant the seeds of April Foolsness. :b

Hah good to see I was right once again. It's too optimistic of you guys who thought it wouldn't be this soon after switch game release.

edit: lmao should have clicked on op link sooner. I fell for it blatantly

Last edited:
I wonder how many of figured out this was an April Fools joke and how many of us fell for it and how many went along with it to further plant the seeds of April Foolsness. :b

Psssht, this is legit and serious! Everybody better save lots of bels to pay for online services!

Psssht, this is legit and serious! Everybody better save lots of bels to pay for online services!

I can quickly amass another 3,000 Bels, but it'll get stolen by Antonio again. He's very anti ACNL servers. >: (

I admit that I was reallyreally sad for abut 30 seconds? But I don’t feel too badly about falling for it; at least I outsmarted Blanca this morning! Lol

Good news guys I saved up enough Bels to save the ACNL servers for an additional month!

Back